• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eating too much red meat ages the body

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Forget pricey face creams and spa treatments, if you’re keen to look younger then cutting out red meat can save you years as well as pounds. New research has shown that eating too much red meat and not enough vegetables can increase the biological age of your body.

The study, published in the journal Aging, shows that an increase in the levels of serum phosphate –naturally occurring phosphorus in the blood – combined with a poor diet, adds more miles to the body clock, meaning your body may be far older than your chronological age.

Researchers from the Institute of Cancer Sciences at Glasgow University compared the dietary habits of those in the least and most affluent parts of the Greater Glasgow area. Worst affected were men in the most deprived areas of Scotland’s second city, who can expect to die 14 years earlier than men in more affluent areas. The figure is 11 years for women.

The study suggests a direct link between speeded-up body ageing, the level of phosphates in their blood and how often they ate red meat. Red meat is believed to have a particular effect on this group because of their poor diet and “suboptimal fruit and vegetable intake”, according to the researchers.

Eating too much red meat ages the body - Meat Free Monday

Forget pricey face creams and spa treatments, if you’re keen to look younger then cutting out red meat can save you years as well as pounds. New research has shown that eating too much red meat and not enough vegetables can increase the biological age of your body.

The study, published in the journal Aging, shows that an increase in the levels of serum phosphate –naturally occurring phosphorus in the blood – combined with a poor diet, adds more miles to the body clock, meaning your body may be far older than your chronological age.

Researchers from the Institute of Cancer Sciences at Glasgow University compared the dietary habits of those in the least and most affluent parts of the Greater Glasgow area. Worst affected were men in the most deprived areas of Scotland’s second city, who can expect to die 14 years earlier than men in more affluent areas. The figure is 11 years for women.

The study suggests a direct link between speeded-up body ageing, the level of phosphates in their blood and how often they ate red meat. Red meat is believed to have a particular effect on this group because of their poor diet and “suboptimal fruit and vegetable intake”, according to the researchers.

Eating only meat or no meat will harm you.

but eating more vegetables and fruit doesn't. interesting isn't it?

There are many many cases of malnutrition and other ailments arising from total non-consumption of animal products.

There are many many cases of malnutrition and other ailments arising from total non-consumption of animal products.

sounds like there's no shortage of red herring around here

News Flash!:

Consuming too much of anything is toxic to the human body, even water. That is why the wisdom passed down to us through the ages is "eat a lot of different things, and everything in moderation".

NEXT!

Last edited:

Really?

Eating meat is thought by some scientists to have been crucial to the evolution of our ancestors’ larger brains about two million years ago. By starting to eat calorie-dense meat and marrow instead of the low-quality plant diet of apes, our direct ancestor, Homo erectus, took in enough extra energy at each meal to help fuel a bigger brain. Digesting a higher quality diet and less bulky plant fiber would have allowed these humans to have much smaller guts. The energy freed up as a result of smaller guts could be used by the greedy brain, according to Leslie Aiello, who first proposed the idea with paleoanthropologist Peter Wheeler. The brain requires 20 percent of a human’s energy when resting; by comparison, an ape’s brain requires only 8 percent. This means that from the time of H. erectus, the human body has depended on a diet of energy-dense food—especially meat.
The Evolution of Diet - National Geographic

News Flash!:

Consuming too much of anything is toxic to the human body, even water. That is why the wisdom passed down to us through the ages is " eat a lot of different things, and everything in moderation".

NEXT!
Yep. Too much of anything can be bad for you.

So essentially if you maintain proper vegetable intake, eating red meat does not have this negative effect? Correct?

So essentially if you maintain proper vegetable intake, eating red meat does not have this negative effect? Correct?

why are you so worried about vegetables now?

Funny you should mention. I just picked up a 2.5# beef tenderloin that I will make a carpaccio out of tomorrow. Basically thin sliced raw beef back strap, I will serve with an arugula based salad and barely steamed asparagus from my greenhouse. Probably have a home brew red beer or three while I prepare. Then settle into a movie with some home popped kettle corn dusted with Parmesan cheese and habanero powder from last years harvest. Of course drizzled with grass fed butter.

Grass fed beef, veggies, salad, popcorn and butter. This vegan thing rocks!

Funny you should mention. I just picked up a 2.5# beef tenderloin that I will make a carpaccio out of tomorrow. Basically thin sliced raw beef back strap, I will serve with an arugula based salad and barely steamed asparagus from my greenhouse. Probably have a home brew red beer or three while I prepare. Then settle into a movie with some home popped kettle corn dusted with Parmesan cheese and habanero powder from last years harvest. Of course drizzled with grass fed butter.

it's funny how everyone always says they subsist on boutique meat.

why are you so worried about vegetables now?
Because the data you linked states red meat causes problems if one has a substandard diet.

It seems to show the problem is poor diet, not red meat. Correct?

And since I addressed your question here in a direct & courteous manner, would you be good enough to do the same to the question I posed in post #10:

please quote all the cases where people get sick eating too much salad and fresh fruit.
Ok, maybe not when it comes to fruits and vegetables, but the main problem here is people not eating well-balanced diets.

Because the data you linked states red meat causes problems if one has a substandard diet.

It seems to show the problem is poor diet, not red meat. Correct?

And since I addressed your question here in a direct & courteous manner, would you be good enough to do the same to the question I posed in post #10:

the answer is obvious. if you eat enough fruits and veggies that leaves very little room for meat. the average amount is about the size of a deck of cards per day. many people wolf dwn several times that amount per meal.

the answer is obvious. if you eat enough fruits and veggies that leaves very little room for meat. the average amount is about the size of a deck of cards per day. many people wolf dwn several times that amount per meal.
The only thing obvious here, is your study shows one can eat meat with impunity if their diet is otherwise sufficient.

Hey - it's your study not mine that claims this, and you are the one that posted it not me. And your study makes no reference to decks of cards, or to eating so many veggies there's no room for meat.

I suggest next time you post an OP, you firstly assure yourself it clearly & thoroughly reflects the ideology you are trying to promote.

it's funny how everyone always says they subsist on boutique meat.

I just like eating animals that eat some of my greens for me. If I eat a steer that is a vegan, i, therefore am a vegan. Mmmmm I love vegan cow, elk, deer, goose, duck, etc.

Red meat is the staple of my diet, And I do not look aged at all. I actually looked like I was 50 when I was 23, but the army and mainly afghanistan did that to me, with all the extreme heat dust etc. Since then I have reverse aged quite a bit, everything except my back.

Well veggies are a good way of pushing that meat through the system. The key is balance. Don't go all one way or all the other. The human body is designed to accommodate both meat and vegetables so why deny it either?

I think a lot of what you can eat and should eat is determined by your ancestors. The Eskimos eat very little in the way of fruit. People that lived along the coast eat more seafood while people of the desert may have never had any. I think today a lot of our problems arise from eating new foods we may not be as accustomed to eating as we are lead to believe. This is the nature of a lot of allergies. It could be that the Norwegian people who relied on the sea for food for thousands of years may have a problem with red meat where people who have raised and eaten cattle for thousands of years do not suffer the same negative effects. I can drink all the milk I want with no lactate issues where people from other cultures cannot. I think the same study done on different people from a different part of the world can have different results.

Of course today with people moving around and fresh food being shipped from everywhere to everywhere variety may be a good thing. It could however take thousands of years for some cultures to eat certain foods that they are allergic to at this time. I am certain if I ate a lot of seal blubber and no fruits and vegetables I would not feel to great. Fresh fruits and vegetables along with whole grains may have the same effect on Eskimos.

If you're going to eat all that beef, do your heart a favor

Brown that butter before you drizzle it on

Back
Top Bottom