• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eating too much red meat ages the body

Forget pricey face creams and spa treatments, if you’re keen to look younger then cutting out red meat can save you years as well as pounds. New research has shown that eating too much red meat and not enough vegetables can increase the biological age of your body.

The study, published in the journal Aging, shows that an increase in the levels of serum phosphate –naturally occurring phosphorus in the blood – combined with a poor diet, adds more miles to the body clock, meaning your body may be far older than your chronological age.

Researchers from the Institute of Cancer Sciences at Glasgow University compared the dietary habits of those in the least and most affluent parts of the Greater Glasgow area. Worst affected were men in the most deprived areas of Scotland’s second city, who can expect to die 14 years earlier than men in more affluent areas. The figure is 11 years for women.

The study suggests a direct link between speeded-up body ageing, the level of phosphates in their blood and how often they ate red meat. Red meat is believed to have a particular effect on this group because of their poor diet and “suboptimal fruit and vegetable intake”, according to the researchers.

Eating too much red meat ages the body - Meat Free Monday

Here is a quote from the article:

Indeed, it’s notable that these effects are not apparent among less deprived males, or in females, especially in the context of a more balanced diet.”

Balanced diet. See, this is the problem with ideologues like yourself. You make your side look terrible by misrepresenting information. Perhaps all that focusing on veganism has prevented you from actually understanding that most of what you read/present, indicates that a balanced diet, one that encompasses all food groups is quite healthy. But your position exhibits another problem that is often found in ideologues. MRI studies show that when an ideologue encounters information that demonstrates that his position is questionable, the reasoning part of their brain shuts OFF. Here's the study:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.livescience.com%2Fstrangenews%2F060124_political_decisions.html

Although the study focuses on Democrats and Republicans, it focuses on the concept of being an ideologue or being "staunch". This is why when information that questions the extremism of your position is presented, you ignore it. It's not that you are ignoring it; you don't process it from a biological standpoint. It's also why you make vegans look so bad when you post.

I just like eating animals that eat some of my greens for me. If I eat a steer that is a vegan, i, therefore am a vegan. Mmmmm I love vegan cow, elk, deer, goose, duck, etc.

Hurr Hurr

Eating too much implies there is an optimum level of meat for a proper diet.

Eating too much implies there is an optimum level of meat for a proper diet.

using that logic, there's also an optimal amount of heroin, LSD, alcohol and snickers bars for a proper diet

using that logic, there's also an optimal amount of heroin, LSD, alcohol and snickers bars for a proper diet

Incorrect. We know that heroin, even in small doses is addictive and dangerous. We also know that LSD can cause psychosis even in a few uses. We ALSO know that having an occasional Snickers Bar causes no harm, nor does eating meat in a non-exceesive fashion. See, again, this the problem with ideologues like yourself. You post inaccurate information that makes your own position invalid. You're just like the people who promoted Reefer Madness as being real. When people find out you are lying about some things, they tend to ignore the parts of your position that are actually credible. This is why no one takes ideologues seriously.

nope. not everyone gets addicted to heroin and it's harmless in small doeses. A few LSD trips per lifetime is an awesome and life changing experience. folks like you think because they are a moderator that their opinion is fact and that others'are extreme or not valid. a lifetime of eating meat will put you in an early grave for no other reason than gluttony, it isn't a necessity.

Snickers bars are actually a nutrient dense food item, I have a case of them in my car for emergencies, and I carry them when I do 10 mile hikes. Provides a good dose of energy if you're feeling tired

Snickers bars are actually a nutrient dense food item, I have a case of them in my car for emergencies, and I carry them when I do 10 mile hikes. Provides a good dose of energy if you're feeling tired

YES! Long long ago I did the same thing for a few years. Now some people might just jump down my **** for buying these high fat high cal bars by the 36 count case......AS I DID......but the way that I used them worked great for me, so buzz off!

Last edited:
a lifetime of eating meat will put you in an early grave for no other reason than gluttony, it isn't a necessity.
:failpail:

You cannot get vitamin B12 from plants so meat is a necessity. It's veganism that isnt.

Forget pricey face creams and spa treatments, if you’re keen to look younger then cutting out red meat can save you years as well as pounds. New research has shown that eating too much red meat and not enough vegetables can increase the biological age of your body.

The study, published in the journal Aging, shows that an increase in the levels of serum phosphate –naturally occurring phosphorus in the blood – combined with a poor diet, adds more miles to the body clock, meaning your body may be far older than your chronological age.

Researchers from the Institute of Cancer Sciences at Glasgow University compared the dietary habits of those in the least and most affluent parts of the Greater Glasgow area. Worst affected were men in the most deprived areas of Scotland’s second city, who can expect to die 14 years earlier than men in more affluent areas. The figure is 11 years for women.

The study suggests a direct link between speeded-up body ageing, the level of phosphates in their blood and how often they ate red meat. Red meat is believed to have a particular effect on this group because of their poor diet and “suboptimal fruit and vegetable intake”, according to the researchers.

Eating too much red meat ages the body - Meat Free Monday

Emphasis TOO MUCH. We know that too much of anything is not good.

"Red meat is not bad for you.Now blue-green meat,that's bad for you!" ~ Tommy Smothers

a lifetime of eating meat will put you in an early grave for no other reason than gluttony, it isn't a necessity.
First of all, eating meant is not gluttony.

Secondly and more importantly, if a person eats meat, it is none of your damn business.

nope. not everyone gets addicted to heroin and it's harmless in small doeses. A few LSD trips per lifetime is an awesome and life changing experience. folks like you think because they are a moderator that their opinion is fact and that others'are extreme or not valid. a lifetime of eating meat will put you in an early grave for no other reason than gluttony, it isn't a necessity.

This continues your dishonest posting. What you did here is do a false comparison. "Small doses of heroin". "A few LSD trips". "LIFETIME of eating meat". This is the dishonest, illogical way that ideologues argue, since they can't argue on the merits of their position.

Compare this: LIFETIME of using heroin, LIFETIME of using LSD, LIFETIME of eating meat.

Also, you do need to read more carefully. I never said EVERYONE gets addicted to heroin, and I said LSD CAN cause psychosis in even a few uses. Your rewording is both dishonest and a strawman argument.

This continues your dishonest posting. What you did here is do a false comparison. "Small doses of heroin". "A few LSD trips". "LIFETIME of eating meat". This is the dishonest, illogical way that ideologues argue, since they can't argue on the merits of their position.

Compare this: LIFETIME of using heroin, LIFETIME of using LSD, LIFETIME of eating meat.

Also, you do need to read more carefully. I never said EVERYONE gets addicted to heroin, and I said LSD CAN cause psychosis in even a few uses. Your rewording is both dishonest and a strawman argument.

what do you consider both an unhealthy level consumption of meat, too much or too little?

I think you look too hard for an argument.

First of all, eating meant is not gluttony.

Secondly and more importantly, if a person eats meat, it is none of your damn business.

bad health is everyone's business. this country is obese and unhealthy. denial won't help

My maternal grandfather lived to be 105-year-old. He ate red meat nearly every day of his life. I remember once when he was in his late nineties, the doctor told my grandmother that he needed to eat healthier. That night my grandmother prepared a meal of greens, beans, cornbread... no meat on the plate. It was pouring down rain, when my grandfather came in from the barn. We were all sitting at the table. He hung up his raincoat, took off his boots, washed his hands and sat down. He looked at the plate. Looked at us boys. Then got up. He told my grandmother to call him when his steak was ready. She went to the salt cabinet and got out a steak to cook. We weren't so lucky. We had to eat the greens, beans, and cornbread.

I do not believe that red meat alone will do you in. I think that inactivity does it. Sure if you eat red meat, then sit on the couch watching television all the time, those fatty cells are going to clog up the veins. But as I saw with my grandfather, he worked hard every day. I can't remember him ever thinking about sleeping in. There was wood to be chopped, cows to be fed, goats to be caught, eggs to be gathered, snow to be cleared... something. When he passed, there was no autopsy so we don't know an actual cause of death. If I can live to 105, eating red meat every day. I'm all for it.

My maternal grandfather lived to be 105-year-old. He ate red meat nearly every day of his life. I remember once when he was in his late nineties, the doctor told my grandmother that he needed to eat healthier. That night my grandmother prepared a meal of greens, beans, cornbread... no meat on the plate. It was pouring down rain, when my grandfather came in from the barn. We were all sitting at the table. He hung up his raincoat, took off his boots, washed his hands and sat down. He looked at the plate. Looked at us boys. Then got up. He told my grandmother to call him when his steak was ready. She went to the salt cabinet and got out a steak to cook. We weren't so lucky. We had to eat the greens, beans, and cornbread.

I do not believe that red meat alone will do you in. I think that inactivity does it. Sure if you eat red meat, then sit on the couch watching television all the time, those fatty cells are going to clog up the veins. But as I saw with my grandfather, he worked hard every day. I can't remember him ever thinking about sleeping in. There was wood to be chopped, cows to be fed, goats to be caught, eggs to be gathered, snow to be cleared... something. When he passed, there was no autopsy so we don't know an actual cause of death. If I can live to 105, eating red meat every day. I'm all for it.

there are always exceptions. people always think they will be the 100 year old who ate bacon every day and smoked. more denial. they don't think they will take after their father who died at 48 from clogged arteries or lung cancer

there are always exceptions. people always think they will be the 100 year old who ate bacon every day and smoked. more denial. they don't think they will take after their father who died at 48 from clogged arteries or lung cancer

Yes. You are right there are always exceptions. My father died at 58 from lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life. But when it comes to red meat, I think that the problem comes from inactivity combined with the red meat. I have known many people who eat meat (not always red) at least one meal a day who have lived long lives. However, those were always hard working people who were not obese and sedentary.

Yes. You are right there are always exceptions. My father died at 58 from lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life. But when it comes to red meat, I think that the problem comes from inactivity combined with the red meat. I have known many people who eat meat (not always red) at least one meal a day who have lived long lives. However, those were always hard working people who were not obese and sedentary.

right. remember back then they couldn't afford enough to overeat either. also the quality of meat was unadulterated. everyone on the board claims they buy pure nad raised meat from a friendly farmer down the road. then we see the same people posting about how good fast food hamburgers are. the sedentary lifestyle of modern days is a great point too though. let's also be honest. the rate of lung cancer is much greater in smokers. Thank you for your civil discussion, southern dad.

right. remember back then they couldn't afford enough to overeat either. also the quality of meat was unadulterated. everyone on the board claims they buy pure nad raised meat from a friendly farmer down the road. then we see the same people posting about how good fast food hamburgers are. the sedentary lifestyle of modern days is a great point too though. let's also be honest. the rate of lung cancer is much greater in smokers. Thank you for your civil discussion, southern dad.

I buy my beef from a local farmer. My pork and veal come from a small town grocer, and sometimes some beef, too. I raise my own poultry. I eat out way too often. This comes from business meetings at very good restaurants. I don't ask Ruth's Chris Steakhouse if their steak comes from an organically fed steer. I just savor it, and eat it. I can see asking the chef at Bones where the menu items came from... Not likely.

I couldn't be vegan or even vegetarian. Animals are just too tasty. I don't harbor hatred toward those that are. I have an ex-girlfriend who was a vegan. She had to take vitamins to get the things that she wasn't getting from the meat, dairy, and such. I've dated a woman who was a vegetarian except for eggs, fish, and milk. Funny thing about the vegan, she wouldn't ride in my Navigator because it has leather seats, she'd only ride in my Prius.

everyone on the board claims they buy pure nad raised meat from a friendly farmer down the road. then we see the same people posting about how good fast food hamburgers are.
Everyone said that? What a total lie. The only way you can even rebut an argument is via strawmen and complete BS. CC is right, you are a very dishonest poster.

bad health is everyone's business. this country is obese and unhealthy. denial won't help

Of course the wrong diet is one part of our obesity problem, but let us not forget that, with the increase of convenience and indulgence food, we also see an increase in the more sedentary lifestyle. We don't walk to the neighbor to ask a question, we text...and that is only one of our traps. We drive, we sit, we call, text, Email. We don't go and ride the bike to the store, work on the land, go hunting and fishing for our food.
Sure, many of our elders didn't necessarily eat a healthy diet, but they moved.
M_V, there is no one solution to our health problems. Diet, a balanced diet, not necessarily vegan, but healthy, along with exercise and education, can make the difference.
Sitting around eating a plan based diet alone won't do it. It may be an alternative along with being active, but don't forget, it isn't for everyone. No matter how much you believe it is so, and no matter how much you want to convince others to change their diet, it won't happen.
What works least is a militant approach. Suggesting tasty vegan recipes, encouraging others to try eating a bit better may actually get people interested. Being snotty and condescending won't.

I watched a presentation similar to this national geographic one. it analyzed the diets of more than a dozen groups of indigenous peoples. the study was from some years ago as there are hardly any indigenous peoples left today that still eat a diet their people traditionally did.
The thing that was interesting to me was that, other than the outlying groups that were in an extreme situation like Inuits, the common diet balance was lots of protein and simple fats and very little grains. the carbs they got were just what was in the vegetables they ate for the most part and was a minimal part of the diet.
Really the bottom line of it all is the processing. processed foods of any type do not have the nutritional content they do in their natural form and even the attempts to nutritionally fortify them don't make up for what is lost.

Back
Top Bottom