• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eating breakfast may not help you lose weight, study says

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/31/...st-weight-loss-strategy-study-intl/index.html

If you're trying to lose weight you've probably been told not to skip breakfast, as it could make you hungrier later in the day. But a new analysis found that people who ate breakfast regularly consumed more calories each day and those who skipped it didn't have an increased appetite later in the day.
This meant those who ate breakfast experienced no weight loss and people who skipped their morning meal also saw no weight gain, according to the research published Wednesday in the BMJ.
Public health agencies and official eating guidelines have long stressed the importance of eating breakfast to lose weight and achieve a healthy diet but "this study clearly shows that isn't a good idea," said lead author Dr Flavia Cicuttini, professor of epidemiology at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.
Welp, now it seems there's a study that refutes all the previous studies about the benefits of a good breakfast. I rarely eat breakfast myself and have found that I tend to eat me if I do.

All these studies pretty much contradicts each other. imo, it's best that individuals tailor their diets and lifestyles to their own metabolism since everyone is unique. There is no "one fits all diet."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/31/...st-weight-loss-strategy-study-intl/index.html

Welp, now it seems there's a study that refutes all the previous studies about the benefits of a good breakfast. I rarely eat breakfast myself and have found that I tend to eat me if I do.

All these studies pretty much contradicts each other. imo, it's best that individuals tailor their diets and lifestyles to their own metabolism since everyone is unique. There is no "one fits all diet."

There are a whole mess of things that we have been told for a very long time is fact or is almost certainly fact, that once someone goes a looks for the evidence to support the claim little is found, often upon checking the claim is proven wrong.

We are such colossal liars now.

And Sheep.

It seems that every few years reports come out that this food or that is good/bad for consumption. Oat Bran was big once, Chinese food bad. Then there are reports that contradict prior reports. Need to use a bit of common-sense and practice moderation. $0.02

You have all day to burn off whatever calories you consume at breakfast.

Depending on how late you eat dinner, you're more likely to then crash on the couch and then go to sleep.
Harder to burn off dinner calories.

Bigger meals earlier in the day. Smaller meals later in the day.

I've been doing intermittent fasting the past year and I lose 1-2 lbs every week on average. I simply only eat between 11am and 7pm. I also don't add sugar to my morning tea or coffee because that would break the fast.

It takes about a week to get used to not eating breakfast though, its a rough week.

I’m starting to agree with these findings. I eat at least 5 hearty bowls of Cap’n Crunch cereal every morning and STILL can’t lose weight.

I’m starting to agree with these findings. I eat at least 5 hearty bowls of Cap’n Crunch cereal every morning and STILL can’t lose weight.

Once every few years I indulge my inner 12 year old. I don’t remember Cap’n Crunch having as sharp corners when I ate sugar by the lb.

When the only standard of measurement for diet success in a diet study , is 'body weight' you know myopia is the main course. Professionals in the field of nutrition and dietetics might see some outlier issues to look at. The 'benefits of breakfast' are not to be charted on a graph with body weight or calorie intake as one metric and chronological time as the other.

Studies often contradict. That is why good science insists on duplication in results. I definitely agree that there is no 'one size fits all' diet plan. You have to consider all aspects of physical and pscho-social health as well as general lifestyle choices. Weight loss or gain or nutrition alteration inevitably involves the application of a realistic and comprehensive compromise on some very stubborn opponents to change.

Last edited:
I usually don't get hungry until 1:30 or so.

I meant to say tend to eat "more." :doh

I can only speak for myself but when I got back into eating a healthy and hearty breakfast on a daily basis I not only lost weight but managed to keep it off.

Now, breakfast wasn't my only change but combining it with moderate exercise and not eating late at night I saw dramatic results (lost 70+ pounds from my all time high and still heading down). I have found that with a healthy breakfast consisting of a lot of protein and limited carbs means less snacking during the day and less of an urge to eat a large evening meal.

Once every few years I indulge my inner 12 year old. I don’t remember Cap’n Crunch having as sharp corners when I ate sugar by the lb.

I tried a Crunchberry for the first time in well over 30 years a couple of years back and, as I recall, my blood sugar spiked at something like 600.

If all you consume for breakfast is sugar which many breakfast foods have a lot of then skipping breakfast would probably be better.

Breaking a fast, which is where breakfast got its name one needs protein to start the day not sugar.

Is it any wonder we have a major issue with diabetes in this country? Think of all the kids raised on sugary cereals, pop tarts for breakfast and wash their lunch down with a Coke. Their pancreas which is responsible with producing insulin is on overload before they reach 20.

Back
Top Bottom