• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Easy fix for IRS corruption

A tax on spending is the absolute WORST way for a consumer economy to collect revenue. We want to encourage spending, not discourage it by taxing. The money we want is income NOT spent. People that are saving 80% of their income are the real drag on our economy.

I don't agree on the first half, since you'll have more money on hand. The fairtax proposal includes a basic income check as a pre-tax stimumlus, equal to the average amount that is claimed off of peoples taxes. In the end, this should increase spending, not decrease it.

I agree with the second point, money hoarding is a big problem. Fairtax is essentially a regressive tax, so it could even make it worse. I've said it before; there's no such thing as a perfect solution, just a better solution. A fairtax plan should reduce some of the government spending, so it all comes down to whether that will solve more problems than it creates. I think it will, but it's definitely something we need to think about.

Back
Top Bottom