• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Eastern Philosphy/religion

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm currently opening up a bit of a cultural gap we westerns have between us and Asia, sorta.

Right now I'm studying the works of Confuscist and Tao. Its interesting, IMO. These guys have solid morales and principles that you can even apply today.

What do you all think of eastern philosphy/religion?

128shot said:
What do you all think of eastern philosphy/religion?

Depends, which one?

For me I think Buddhism is probably one of the better ones, and I kind of like eastern religions better in some aspects, and western in others.

Comrade Brian said:
Depends, which one?

For me I think Buddhism is probably one of the better ones, and I kind of like eastern religions better in some aspects, and western in others.

the only traditional mostly eastern dominate religion is Islam, everything else is very different from the western concept of religion.

I wanted to leave the doors wide open to hinduism Buddhism, Tao, Confucist, etc.

Really any eastern philospher. Sun Tzu even.

128shot said:
the only traditional mostly eastern dominate religion is Islam, everything else is very different from the western concept of religion.

Indeed they are generally different concepts. But I would describe Islam as a Western one, it split off Judaism and Christianity, and they also think that Jesus was pretty much one of the most powerful prophets, and is very holy.

Comrade Brian said:
Indeed they are generally different concepts. But I would describe Islam as a Western one, it split off Judaism and Christianity, and they also think that Jesus was pretty much one of the most powerful prophets, and is very holy.
Lao-tzu ranks right up there with Jesus and Moses as a seminal thinker and teacher. His poetry always brings a smile to my face. Most of the others – Confucius, Sun-tzu, and even Chuang-tzu, are a step down – like Plato and Aristotle, though Chuang-tzu is more like Isaiah to Lao-tzu’s Moses. Eastern philosophy broadens our narrow western perspective as western philosophy does to the east.

I am going now to sit on my lilly pad near my lotus blossom…

I can say without a doubt...that I have gained valuable insight thru the Hindu, and Buddhist texts. Personally I find the Tao and Sutras to be more an attempt at Philosophy thru Myth, and are very interesting in this way. My fascination was peaked when comparison of Quantum Theory is interwoven with the basis of much of Eastern Philosophy....the correlation is almost scary....Almost

Back
Top Bottom