• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Easter is a Pagan Holiday

Contrarian

Reaction score
Since the purpose of the Forums is to open ones mind... Ponder this. Why is the "Holiest Day of Christianity" in truth a Pagan holiday in disquise?

Easter is not a Christian name. It is Chaldean (Babylonian) in origin - the name Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven. The name Astarte, as found on the Assyrian monuments by the noted archeologist Layard, was the name Ishtar. The worship of Bel and Astarte was introduced very early into Britain, along with the Druids, "the priests of the groves," the high places where the pagans worshipped the idols of Baal. In the Almanac of the 1800's, May 1st is called Beltane, from the pagan god, Bel. The titles Bel and Molech both belong to the same god.

We must remember that Semiramis (also known as Ishtar) of Babylon, the wife of Nimrod and mother of Tammuz, was the same goddess worshiped throughout the world under various names, such as the Egyptian fertility god, Artemis, the Roman goddess of licentiousness, Venus, the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, and the Ephesian, many-breasted fertility god, Diana, as well as many others.

The (Easter) bunny, is the oldest pagan symbol of fertility - Semiramis - has absolutely NOTHING to do with the birth of Christ.

Nor does the Sunrise service. Jesus ( as the story goes) was resurrected while it was still DARK!
"And early came Mary Magdalene, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre." John 20:1

Sunrise services are for the worship of the Pagan Sun god - ONLY! In addition, Jesus was NOT resurrected on Sunday, the first day of the week. Please see the study entitled "Was Jesus Really Resurrected on Sunday?" at www.goodnewsaboutgod.com

One mythological legend says that sometime after Semiramis died, a huge egg dropped from heaven. Out of the egg came a re-incarnated Semiramis, now a goddess. The Babylonian Talmud refers to her as Ishtar, or Easter. It seems like someone borrowed a relatively marketable idea... take the dead and bring them back to life!

The forty days of Lent was also conveniently borrowed as the in fact, symbolize one day for each year of Tammuz' life. This period of time is celebrated in the "Christian" church by giving up something to mourn the death - of Tammuz, the son of the pagan goddess Semiramis!

Ezekiel 8:13,14 tells us what God thinks about any festival that recognizes Tammuz:
"The Lord said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they (the Israelites) do.
Then He brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz."

As late as the 19th century, in Great Britain, at Beltan (or the 1st of May) a number of men and women assembled at an ancient Druidical circle of stones near Crieff, to participate in an ancient worship feast to Baal.

The festival of Pasch, or the Passover, was very early observed by many professing Christians, in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Christ, although it cannot be traced back as far as the Apostles. But Pasch was observed by Christians a full month before the festival of Ishtar was celebrated by the Pagans. In addition, the festival of Ishtar (Easter) now observed in churches is far different from the original festival of Pasch.

The amalgamation of the Christian Pasch, as observed in Britain by the Christians, and the Pagan Easter enforced by Rome, occurred by violence and bloodshed. But at last, the Festival of the Anglo-Saxon or Chaldean goddess, Ishtar, came to supersede that which had been held in honor of Christ.

"The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Easter Sunday figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do today. The Œbuns,' known by the identical name, were used in the worship of the queen of heaven, the goddess Ishtar, as early as the days of Cecrops, the founder of Athens, that is, 1500 years BEFORE the Christian era. One species of sacred bread which used to be offered to the gods was called ŒBoun.'" (Hislop, Two Babylons, pg 107.)
"The children gather wood, the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven. Jeremiah 7:18
The hot cross buns are not now offered, but eaten instead, on the festival of Easter (Astarte - Ishtar).

"The origin of the Pasch (Passover) eggs is just as clear. The ancient Druids bore an egg as the sacred emblem of their order. In the mysteries of Bacchus, as celebrated in Athens, one part of the nocturnal ceremony consisted in the consecration of an egg. The hindu fables celebrate their mundane egg as of a golden color. In China, even as late as the 19th century, dyed or painted eggs were used during sacred festivals.

"In ancient times, eggs were used in the religious rites of the Egyptians and the Greeks, and were hung up for mystic purposes in their temples. . . The classic poets are full of the fable of the mystic egg of the Babylonians.

"The occult meaning of the mystic egg of Astarte had reference to the ark during the time of the flood, in which the whole human race was shut up, as the chick is enclosed in the egg before it is hatched. And of course, the egg also refers to birth, or creation.

"Though the deified queen, whom Astarte represented, had no actual existence till some centuries after the flood, yet through the doctrine of metampsychosis, which was firmly established in Babylon, it was easy for her worshippers to be made to believe that, in a previous incarnation, she had lived in the Antediluvian world and passed safely through the waters of the flood. The Roman Catholic Church then adopted this mystic egg of Astarte, and consecrated it as a symbol of Christ's resurrection." (Ibid pg 109,110.)

The Bible clearly tells us what God considers the memorial of Christ's death and resurrection. It is NOT the pagan celebration of Easter, in honor of the pagan god, Ishtar. It is BAPTISM:
"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death?

There is NO doubt that Easter is a totally Pagan holiday. It's amazing what some clever manipulation and editing can do to a story. It's not only fiction... it's plagerism. So when you are sitting in church this SUNday (the sabbath of the Pagan Sun God) ask yourself what other nonsense you were fed as the absolute truth...

Ironically, no Christian really knows this, save for those educated by the Jesuits. What the jesuits do is honor the pagan tradition by having at the beginning of their masses a bonfire which they then carry in in the forum of candles to start the mass. Just a little tidbit of info there...repped, interestin read.

What the F*** is your problem Contrarion!

Yes, my religion is mixed with Paganism sometimes. That is because, as people adopted Christianity they liked to hold on to there traditions. It is still around today. And all the crap that goes along with it, is not neccisarly a bad thing. Easter eag hunts and the bunny, help kids and non beliviers feel included. But, believe me I go to church and worship Jesus, not some stupid rabbit. As, for the early service. Who cares? We don't even know what exact date the ressurection took place on. The important thing is that we celebrate it. We also don't know the date on which Jesus was born, but we picked Dec. 25 and stuck with it. As for Christmas, what about Santa Claus and flying reindeer and all that crap. It has nothing to do with Jesus, but we keep it because kids liked it. Still, that doesn't take anything away from the holiday. I don't praise Frosty the snowman.

I'm sick of non believers always using stuff like that to shake up my religion. That crap wasn't mind opening at all. How many people do you think will read your post and become atheist.

Oh yeah, happy easter

pwo said:

Yes, my religion is mixed with Paganism sometimes. That is because, as people adopted Christianity they liked to hold on to there traditions. It is still around today. And all the crap that goes along with it, is not neccisarly a bad thing. Easter eag hunts and the bunny, help kids and non beliviers feel included. But, believe me I go to church and worship Jesus, not some stupid rabbit. As, for the early service. Who cares? We don't even know what exact date the ressurection took place on. The important thing is that we celebrate it. We also don't know the date on which Jesus was born, but we picked Dec. 25 and stuck with it. As for Christmas, what about Santa Claus and flying reindeer and all that crap. It has nothing to do with Jesus, but we keep it because kids liked it. Still, that doesn't take anything away from the holiday. I don't praise Frosty the snowman.

I'm sick of non believers always using stuff like that to shake up my religion. That crap wasn't mind opening at all. How many people do you think will read your post and become atheist.

Oh yeah, happy easter

You think the point of Contrarian's post was to convert you to atheism?

pwo said:

Oh yeah, happy easter

I hate to burst your bubble, but Christmas was picked on Dec. 25 becuase that was a pagan holiday as well. This isn't meant to convert you, just share an interesting piece of knowledge that Sister Nancy Jean wouldn't have taught you. A lot of people know it and teach it-Jesuits, case in point. And the Jesuits sure aren't atheists...

Jesus, I am too old for this :rofl

All Puns aside:

I am a devout Southern- Baptist.. We celebrate passover becasue of the "passing over" of the Angel of Death in Egypt. I do not celebrate Lent.. that is strictly Catholic... Baptists are more focused on Baptism.

As a Christian, I celebrate the resurection of Jesus seperatly from that of Easter.. it just happens to be on the same date. I think the mixing of the two came from Constatine and those Northern Romaners who decided to accept Christianity but still remeber their old traditions.

As far as Christmas is concerned... Christians use that Holiday to celebrate the birth of christ (though the date is not certain) and the good deeds of Saint Nicholas.

I think we just selected the bunny because Bugs needed his own holiday once in a while.

Sorry for my lack of responses for this topic.. I can't really debate against stated facts.

Nice work Contrarian

I havn't called it "Easter" in years. I believe it is a mis-translation.

We call it "Resurection Sunday" to avoid the confusion what it is all about.

I think the mixing of the two came from Constatine and those Northern Romaners who decided to accept Christianity but still remeber their old traditions.

Spot on!
If it wern't for Constantine, Chirstianity would not be as popular as it is today.

vauge said:
I havn't called it "Easter" in years. I believe it is a mis-translation.

We call it "Resurection Sunday" to avoid the confusion what it is all about.

I think the mixing of the two came from Constatine and those Northern Romaners who decided to accept Christianity but still remeber their old traditions.

Spot on!
If it wern't for Constantine, Chirstianity would not be as popular as it is today.

Exactly, if he hadn't made it his official religion, then we probably wouldn't be Catholic/christian (if you are) today. Easter and Christmas are both pagan holidays that the Church adopted.

ShamMol said:
Exactly, if he hadn't made it his official religion, then we probably wouldn't be Catholic/christian (if you are) today. Easter and Christmas are both pagan holidays that the Church adopted.

He didn't become Christian himself, he allowed it to be practiced. It became legal for the first time. Until then, practicing Christianity was underground. It was all political. Around that time he moved to Bistine(?) he named Constantinople which later became Istanbul when the Turks drove the Romans back to middle Europe. This is how the renaissance started - the remixing of Greek and Latin cultures.

The church did not "adopt" these pagan holidays, they just observe as Arch Enemy said - on those days. Big difference.

vauge said:
He didn't become Christian himself, he allowed it to be practiced. It became legal for the first time. Until then, practicing Christianity was underground. It was all political. Around that time he moved to Bistine(?) he named Constantinople which later became Istanbul when the Turks drove the Romans back to middle Europe. This is how the renaissance started - the remixing of Greek and Latin cultures.

The church did not "adopt" these pagan holidays, they just observe as Arch Enemy said - on those days. Big difference.

I beg to differ on at least the easter holiday being adopted by the church. A lot of places still use the fire at the begginning of the mass to symbolize the pagan roots that the holiday came from.

I doubt any one can personally make such an assumption.. due to the fact that every church celebrates differently.. for example until recently when saying the lords prayer we'd say "Trespasses" now we say "debts". Also there are some Mountain Church's where the people actually have people who start talking loudly in Hebrew... scary stuff.

Arch Enemy said:
I doubt any one can personally make such an assumption.. due to the fact that every church celebrates differently.. for example until recently when saying the lords prayer we'd say "Trespasses" now we say "debts". Also there are some Mountain Church's where the people actually have people who start talking loudly in Hebrew... scary stuff.

when the etire sects of Fransican brothers and Jesuits do it...I think I can make that assumption considering that they are two of the oldest orders.

Parcridge,
Yeah, I think he is trying to make me a non-believer. His post wasn't just for a little historical purpose. because if it was just that, what are we debating about. He wasn't just pointing out the pagan background. He was using it to take away from christianity. Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have gotten so mad. But come on, what are we talking about if he wasn't trying to slap us in the face.

pwo said:
Parcridge,
Yeah, I think he is trying to make me a non-believer. His post wasn't just for a little historical purpose. because if it was just that, what are we debating about. He wasn't just pointing out the pagan background. He was using it to take away from christianity. Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have gotten so mad. But come on, what are we talking about if he wasn't trying to slap us in the face.

See I didn't see it that way. I simply saw it as someone putting some historical perspective on why we do some of the things we do and how some of our celebrations got their start. To me a lot of the dates and specific traditions are not nearly as important as the meaning of the bigger picture. Years ago I read an article about why some groups eat fish on Fridays. I'd always been told it was because Peter was a fisherman... Turns out it probably had more to do with the fisherman's unions, paying tidings to the church and an agreement between the two. I still like fish.

Come on Parcridge,
Go back and read what he wrote. Saying that it was "mind opening". Like christians live in a shell and don't want to look at the truth. Also saying something like "while your sitting in church think about what else isn't true". Sorry, if I missed quoted him a little, but you get the jist.
Also, I wish contrarian would respond, to say what he meant by it.

Well it looks like people have had some fun with this!

PWO - my only intent in placing a controversial thread in the forum is to stimulate THOUGHT. I for one couldn't care if you worshipped a ham sandwich. I would further respect you if you could come up with a reason for that belief which would show you as an intelligent person.

The purpose of a forum is the open and free discussion of belief and opinions. To stir the pot, one must challange conventional belief and show that very often, what you have accepted as an absolute truth, is neither absolute, nor vaugely resembling the truth.

If this controversy stimulates you to pick up a book and read more about the subject better yet. If it got you to think more openly about your programmed beliefs the world would be a better place and true understanding and tolerance would dominate instead of ignorance and prejudice.

Thanks for the assist Pac!

Back
Top Bottom