• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Easter Food

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Easter Food

What else do you know except those colourful Easter eggs?

EASTER LAMB CAKE

The Easter Lamb symbolizes the Resurrection of Christ, it is shown holding a victory flag. After mass many families celebrate Easter with a festive meal which may include an Easter Lamb cake or it may be saved for a less formal meal on Easter Monday. It is a simple yellow non-moist cake baked in a special form and sprinkled with powder sugar or white chocolate. The sale of the forms has not been so popular in recent years but bakeries and even grocery stores still sell ready made Easter lamb cakes.

http://suburbiadeutschland.blogspot.com/2014/04/here-are-couple-traditional-ways-easter.html

And in Italy:

Sicilians prepare a traditional Easter celebration with the help of a little lamb. Known as agnelli pasquali or pecorelle di pasqua, this candy figurine is molded from marzipan and filled with pistachio paste. But the sweet sheep comes with more than a sugar high and a nut allergy warning. Lambs represent purity, sacrifice, and symbolize Jesus Christ, who is referred to as the “Lamb of God” in the New Testament. As such, the Easter sweet often comes with a flag bearing the sign of the cross, a symbol of victory over death.

In Southern Italy, the Paschal Lamb remains a prominent image among Catholics.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/marzipan-easter-lamb

Easter Food
We had Hot Cross Buns just this weekend -
- but they were tainted with tiny candied green things for St. Patrick's Day, which apparently celebrates the Patron Saint of Envy.

Corned Beef and cabbage...and carrots.

Always ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, baked beans, deviled eggs and cheese cake or carrot cake.

deviled eggs

Nice name! :)
I knew the dish, but not under this name.
Now I know! :)

Deviled eggs (American English) or devilled eggs (British English), also known as stuffed eggs, Russian eggs, or dressed eggs, are hard-boiled eggs that have been shelled, cut in half, and filled with a paste made from the egg yolks mixed with other ingredients such as mayonnaise and mustard.[1] They are generally served cold as a side dish, appetizer or a main course, often for holidays or parties. The dish's origin can be seen in recipes for boiled, seasoned eggs as far back as ancient Rome, where they were traditionally served as a first course.[2][3] The dish is popular in Europe and in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviled_egg

I enjoyed them in Vietnam as "Russian eggs". :)

Always ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, baked beans, deviled eggs and cheese cake or carrot cake.

Best consumed in an outside setting.....

Nice name! :)
I knew the dish, but not under this name.
Now I know! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviled_egg

I enjoyed them in Vietnam as "Russian eggs". :)
Apropos of things to do with Easter eggs, I was very disappointed to learn that Trader Joe's no longer offers wasabi mayonnaise. I used to use it in egg salad to really take things up a notch, but can't find it anymore. :(

Apropos of things to do with Easter eggs, I was very disappointed to learn that Trader Joe's no longer offers wasabi mayonnaise. I used to use it in egg salad to really take things up a notch, but can't find it anymore
I use a good dollop of horseradish in mine.....along with dijon mustard and a splash of hot sauce.

I use a good dollop of horseradish in mine.....along with dijon mustard and a splash of hot sauce.
Mmm. Sounds good. Another egg salad favorite of mine is a good dose of curry powder in the mayo, and just a touch of black pepper. Simple enough, but it tastes exotic.

Our church has a tradition of a breakfast and service at dawn, AKA Son Rise service. When I was that age, our youth would provide the meal as a fundraiser, usually it is pancakes and bacon or sausage. These days it's the women's missionary organization, but still a fund raiser.

When the kids were small, we would have roast beef or ham for dinner. These days, we eat out.

That sounds like a good general sandwich spread, say with Braunschweiger, swiss and grilled onions on toasted rye.

Lamb usually on Easter. Roast leg with lots of garlic and rosemary.

Lamb usually on Easter. Roast leg with lots of garlic and rosemary.

There are also those Easter Lambs:

Our Easter lamb is made of a fluffy sponge, naturally baked in our bakery using only the best ingredients. It is coated in a fine white icing, which also makes the lamb more durable. And of course, there has to be a little holiday decoration: a red ribbon with a golden bell adorns the Easter lamb, and there is also a little flag with an Easter greeting - also a Christian symbol that is supposed to symbolise Jesus' victory over death.

Text and picture: https://www.lebkuchen-schmidt.com/en/gingerbread-paschal-lamb-p2713/

Chocolate Easter Bunnies seem to be a German invention:

The tradition of chocolate Easter bunnies dates back to 19th-century America, which borrowed it—and the Easter Bunny in general—from Germany. Sales started to take off around 1890, after a Pennsylvania man named Robert L. Strohecker featured a 5-foot-tall chocolate rabbit in his drugstore as an Easter promotion. (Of course, that's got nothing on the record-setting chocolate rabbit sculptors just completed in a South African shopping mall.)

By the turn of the 20th century, newspapers noticed "the growing popularity in the States of the chocolate rabbit" among Easter confections, and by 1925, a catalog from the R.E. Rodda Candy Co. featured guitar-playing bunnies, suggesting that perhaps ordinary chocolate bunnies were old hat by then.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...olate Easter,drugstore as an Easter promotion.

Mmm. Sounds good. Another egg salad favorite of mine is a good dose of curry powder in the mayo, and just a touch of black pepper. Simple enough, but it tastes exotic.

Making devilled eggs with pickled eggs is where it's at... :)

Easter Food

For us, protein and potato differentiate it from Thanksgiving - ham and scalloped potatoes rather than turkey and mashed potatoes. Outside of that, it's pretty much the same - too much food. :)

What is it with Germans and rabbits? I remember my Oma trying to teach me German as a child, and all the books featured sentient rabbits in lederhosen. Foxes also, come to think of it.

Sorry, I know this is off topic...lol...I was just curious. All my relatives from the old country have passed on.

rabbit
with a side of microwaved peeps

as for me, i'm staying with chocolate ... lots of it

For us, protein and potato differentiate it from Thanksgiving - ham and scalloped potatoes rather than turkey and mashed potatoes. Outside of that, it's pretty much the same - too much food. :)
I find that the solution to too much food, is to compensate with too much drink.
It's a question of balance.

🥴

I find that the solution to too much food, is to compensate with too much drink.
It's a question of balance.

🥴

lol...yup. That's usually how she goes. I mean, doing otherwise would be unbalanced, and we don't want that.... ;)

Easter Food

Chocolate. When I was young Easter always meant lots of chocolate.

What is it with Germans and rabbits?

It is not only Germans that tell stories about magical rabbits. :)

The White Rabbit is a fictional character in Lewis Carroll's 1865 book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. He appears at the very beginning of the book, in chapter one, wearing a waistcoat, and muttering "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!" Alice follows him down the rabbit hole into Wonderland. Alice encounters him again when he mistakes her for his housemaid Mary Ann and she becomes trapped in his house after growing too large. The Rabbit shows up again in the last few chapters, as a herald-like servant of the King and Queen of Hearts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit

And then there is also the March Hare. :)

Deities Associated With Hares and Rabbits

Eostre (Anglo-Saxon) – in antiquity, worshipped in a spring festival; "Also known as: Eastre, Goddess of the Spring. Protectress of fertility, goddess of rebirth and friend to all children. To amuse children, Eostre changed her beautiful pet bird into a rabbit. The rabbit brought forth brightly colored eggs, which Eostre gave the children as gifts" (Miller & Taub, pg 169).

https://mythsymbolsandplay.typepad....eities-associated-with-hares-and-rabbits.html

Maybe this was the beginning of the Easter Rabbit. :)

Easter Sunday is tomorrow now. So it is time to think about the Easter Meal.

Back
Top Bottom