• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

East Coast at Risk of Massive Tsunami

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Island of La Palma is in jeopardy of breaking in two and nearly half of this volcanic time bomb would slide into the Atlantic creating a Tsunami of near Biblical proportions.

It's happened before a few times, and could happen again.

A wall of water nearly 200 ft. high could engulf the east coast and swamp places like Florida and devastation would unimaginable all over the Western Atlantic Ocean.

Last night on Coast to Coast AM with George Norry, Mitch Battros talked about a swarm of earthquakes numbering upwards of 8,000.

Interestingly the usually alarmist program talked about how how a possible Tsunami could wash inland 16 miles, but they failed to mention that the highest elevation in Florida is 345 feet and that is Britton Hill located in the panhandle near the Alabama Border.

The rest of the State if mostly less than 100 feet in elevation, meaning the State would be wiped out.

I As I used to say on the radio. don't take my word for it check it out for your self.

Note the cracks that divide La Palma Island, right through the 4,000 ft. plus El Hierro volcano.

duraznerolapalma.jpg

Increasing Indications of a Potential Eruption at El Hierro?

Increasing Indications of a Potential Eruption at El Hierro? | Wired Science*| Wired.com

We’ve been closely watching the earthquake swarm at the Canary Island’s El Hierro since the middle of the summer and it looks like there has been a dramatic increase in the number and intensity of the seismicity at the volcano. Since mid-July, the small island, which is the top of a shield volcano built by the Canary Hotspot, has registered over 8,000 earthquakes – check out the excellent video of the changing depth and location of seismicity put together by Eruptions reader Lurking (or is it GeoLurking now?) Until recently, the earthquakes have not been noticeable to the people living on El Hierro, but since Monday, multiple ~M3-4 earthquakes have occurred, with 30 earthquakes alone on Monday*.

The Island of La Palma is in jeopardy of breaking in two and nearly half of this volcanic time bomb would slide into the Atlantic creating a Tsunami of near Biblical proportions....

why do West Coast folks always dream of the East Coast being destroyed?

You could very well be correct. I did just do some Googling and found very good info at a Catholic site describing what you mentioned. I personally lived in Spain for a couple of decades and experienced one such occurance and the Tsunami everyone expected was diverted by a stroke of luck. Two earthquakes occured within minutes of each other and the giant waves collided into each other lowering the size from some 30 feet to about 3 feet. The US Navy (at Rota) had even moved all their ships out to sea to avoid the Tsunami, which (as I said) was diverted. This current problem could have major implications...and as I live on the coast of Virginia, well...I'm keeping an eye on this.

why do West Coast folks always dream of the East Coast being destroyed?

Who's dreaming of of the East Coast being destroyed.

Why are you trying to start something that is not there. Read the facts in the story and do a little research I didn;t make this up. I might also help clear up your lack of perspicuity/

Chances are that the BIG ONE will hit here and wipe out vast areas of Sounthern California any day and people talk about that all the damn time but you don't hear us out here whining about it.

I really am wrried about the Big One because the San Jacinto Fault is less than 2 miles from here and the San Andreas is only about 12 miles away.

Who's dreaming of of the East Coast being destroyed.

Why are you trying to start something that is not there. Read the facts in the story and do a little research I didn't make this up. I might also help clear up your lack of perspicuity..

forgive me If I am not concerned nor frightened by your new Michael Bay movie.

Last edited:
forgive me If I am not concerned nor frightened by your new Michael Bay movie.

I didn't pass on this information to frighten anyone only to pass on a dew facts and the possibility by of what could happen.

You really do want to start something but it's not going to work because as a Liberal you have enough problems to deal with already.

The Island of La Palma is in jeopardy of breaking in two and nearly half of this volcanic time bomb would slide into the Atlantic creating a Tsunami of near Biblical proportions.
It's happened before a few times, and could happen again.
A wall of water nearly 200 ft. high could engulf the east coast and swamp places like Florida and devastation would unimaginable all over the Western Atlantic Ocean.
Last night on Coast to Coast AM with George Norry, Mitch Battros talked about a swarm of earthquakes numbering upwards of 8,000.
Interestingly the usually alarmist program talked about how how a possible Tsunami could wash inland 16 miles, but they failed to mention that the highest elevation in Florida is 345 feet and that is Britton Hill located in the panhandle near the Alabama Border.
The rest of the State if mostly less than 100 feet in elevation, meaning the State would be wiped out.
I As I used to say on the radio. don't take my word for it check it out for your self.
Note the cracks that divide La Palma Island, right through the 4,000 ft. plus El Hierro volcano.
So you're willing to trust the computer models of geologist in re this, but not in re global warming?

anyway

http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~juster/Tsunamis/pararas.pdf

Furthermore, in publicizing the results of probabilistic numerical modeling studies, there should be a clarification of what constitutes a near-term tsunami threat
from that which may be caused from rare events, hundreds, thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of years from now. In order to plan and effectively mitigate the effects of the tsunami hazard, the assessment of risk must stay in the realm of what it is realistic now or in the near future (Pararas-Carayannis, 1988). Inappropriate media attention and misinterpretation of probabilistic research results for postulated rare events, can create unnecessary anxiety and negate present disaster mitigation efforts.

Purported threat of mega tsunami generation: Based on the interpretation of geological and volcanological observations on the island of La Palma, a subsequent numerical tsunami modeling study
was undertaken by Ward &. Day (2001), postulating that a massive landslide, with a volume of up 500 cubic km, could be triggered by the next major eruption of Cumbre Vieja. The study concludes that the collapse of Cumbre Vieja's western flank would generate a destructive mega tsunami which would strike both sides of the North and South Atlantic. Waves of up to 50 m. in height were estimated for Florida and the Caribbean islands, and more than 40 m. for the northern coast of Brazil. Although not as high, destructive waves have been forecast for the western coast of the Iberian Peninsula, France and Britain's Atlantic coastline. Presumably, in certain areas, the tsunami waves would travel as much as six to seven km. inland, destroying everything in their path.

The aseismic slip event on the southern coast of the island of Hawaii, was also interpreted as possible prelude to the triggering of another sudden, massive slope failure of Kilauea's southern flank.
Computer modeling of such postulated, massive flank failure (Ward, 2001) forecasts that a Pacific-wide, mega-tsunami would be generated. The study concludes that most of the energy of the mega tsunami will be directed toward the southeast, in the direction of Ecuador, but that coastlines as far away as California, Chile, and Australia will be also endangered. Waves as high as 30 m have been forecast for the west coast of North America, and up to 20 m. high for the southwest Pacific.

Unfortunately, media publicity of these estimates has inadvertently created unnecessary public anxiety, by further implying that the threat to coastal communities may be imminent, in both the Atlantic and the Pacific. The subsequent analysis demonstrates that these estimates are incorrect and that the threat of mega tsunami generation from the slope failures of stratovolcanoes has been greatly overstated.

Back
Top Bottom