• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Easing of New York dining ban a milestone in U.S. coronavirus battle

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Easing of New York dining ban a milestone in U.S. coronavirus battle - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City got the governor’s green light to partly resume indoor dining in three weeks, offering a lifeline to thousands of restaurants battered by the coronavirus and marking a milestone in the city’s slow crawl back to normalcy.

Restaurant owners in New York, an early epicenter of the U.S. epidemic, have been clamoring for an end to the indoor dining ban that was imposed in March as part of a series of lockdown measures to control the fast-spreading virus.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who had previously expressed worries that lifting the ban could lead to a resurgence of the virus, announced at a news briefing that indoor dining could resume at 25% capacity beginning on Sept. 30.

New York prides itself as one of the world’s culinary capitals, with a dining scene that runs the gamut from Michelin-star restaurants to homespun delis. It also acts as both a pillar of economic activity and a sounding board for city life.

The coronavirus outbreak in March and April delivered a devastating blow, with the city accounting for a large share of the state’s initial infections and deaths from the COVID-19 disease associated with the virus.

The resulting lockdowns led to widespread worries that many of the city’s restaurants would either not survive or emerge with a considerably smaller footprint.

“I was kind of worried it was not going to happen,” said Giovanni Gelfini, owner of Santa Panza, a restaurant in Brooklyn. “Twenty-five percent is not that much, but it’s something where you can do some math and know, more or less, how many customers you can have every day.”

There will be a number of restrictions, including mandatory temperature checks at entrances and collecting of information from one member of each party for contact tracing should there be a COVID-19 outbreak originating in a restaurant.

The state also will establish a whistleblowing system whereby patrons can anonymously report restaurants not in compliance by sending a text, Cuomo said.
===========================================================================
Hopefully great news in a major city with literally thousands of restaurants.

My favorite has been Les Halles, the French-themed steak house in midtown where the late Anthony Bourdain worked as executive chef before getting into writing & TV.

Im not sure a restaurant can survive at 25% capacity. Its better than zero I suppose but prices will have to go through the roof for them to pay the bills.

Im not sure a restaurant can survive at 25% capacity. Its better than zero I suppose but prices will have to go through the roof for them to pay the bills.
Landlords are going to have to show flexibility or be forced to by the courts. This is an area of special interest in my practice.

They still have outside that was added so it will definitely help.

As the weather changes....

Easing of New York dining ban a milestone in U.S. coronavirus battle - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City got the governor’s green light to partly resume indoor dining in three weeks, offering a lifeline to thousands of restaurants battered by the coronavirus and marking a milestone in the city’s slow crawl back to normalcy.

Restaurant owners in New York, an early epicenter of the U.S. epidemic, have been clamoring for an end to the indoor dining ban that was imposed in March as part of a series of lockdown measures to control the fast-spreading virus.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who had previously expressed worries that lifting the ban could lead to a resurgence of the virus, announced at a news briefing that indoor dining could resume at 25% capacity beginning on Sept. 30.

New York prides itself as one of the world’s culinary capitals, with a dining scene that runs the gamut from Michelin-star restaurants to homespun delis. It also acts as both a pillar of economic activity and a sounding board for city life.

The coronavirus outbreak in March and April delivered a devastating blow, with the city accounting for a large share of the state’s initial infections and deaths from the COVID-19 disease associated with the virus.

The resulting lockdowns led to widespread worries that many of the city’s restaurants would either not survive or emerge with a considerably smaller footprint.

“I was kind of worried it was not going to happen,” said Giovanni Gelfini, owner of Santa Panza, a restaurant in Brooklyn. “Twenty-five percent is not that much, but it’s something where you can do some math and know, more or less, how many customers you can have every day.”

There will be a number of restrictions, including mandatory temperature checks at entrances and collecting of information from one member of each party for contact tracing should there be a COVID-19 outbreak originating in a restaurant.

The state also will establish a whistleblowing system whereby patrons can anonymously report restaurants not in compliance by sending a text, Cuomo said.
===========================================================================
Hopefully great news in a major city with literally thousands of restaurants.

My favorite has been Les Halles, the French-themed steak house in midtown where the late Anthony Bourdain worked as executive chef before getting into writing & TV.

This had to come soon because restaurants are really suffering despite the outdoor dining and take out parts of their business. The pressure to reopen indoor dining was getting a real big push by the industry in NYC, so this will be a good test of how well indoor activities like dining fare during the pandemic. The good news is the contagion numbers are low enough for this to make sense; the question is whether there is a surge of people rushing to dine out.

Here in NJ they eased the indoor dining restriction last week, and though I've been dined outside once since that was allowed, I don't have a strong inclination to dine indoors until I have data to see what the impact is on the contagion stats. I spoke to some restaurant owners I know locally and they said they didn't see a surge the first day the restriction was eased. My family business is also in the list of businesses which can host indoor activities at reduced occupancy, but no massive surge of calls about classes just yet.

Especially in big cities like NY where the rents are really high. Take out was better than nothing, but services like Uber Eats et.al really cut into their profits.

They still have outside that was added so it will definitely help.

As the weather changes....

Yeah, which is in part why I'm sure the pressure for indoor dining has gotten a lot of momentum. Here in the northeast we're good until mid October for it to be ok dining out; past that not so much.

Back
Top Bottom