• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Early studies show obesity is linked to severe COVID-19 cases

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A couple of useful articles from the NYT:

Obesity Linked to Severe Coronavirus Disease, Especially for Younger Patients
Obesity Linked to Severe Coronavirus Disease, Especially for Younger Patients - The New York Times

Obesity, with or without other health problems, puts people in the high risk category for COVID-19. Apparently it's hitting young obese people pretty hard.

The reasons why are not clear yet, and more studies are needed. But this will be very bad for the US, and most of the South in particular.

Surprisingly enough, asthma does not appear to be a major risk factor at this time:
Asthma Is Absent Among Top Covid-19 Risk Factors, Early Data Shows
Asthma Is Absent Among Top Covid-19 Risk Factors, Early Data Shows - The New York Times

It doesn't even make the top 10 for comorbidities in New York's cases.

I think it's why more black people are dying. The black community has a higher incidence of obesity.

Obesity is linked to poverty and a lack of education.

Poverty among blacks is linked to racism.

A couple of useful articles from the NYT:

Useful to who?

Considering obesity is a risk factor for living according to previous NYT medical arts reporting, this doesn't address much of anything useful. Does the NYT recommend every child immediately get skinny, and explain how to accomplish this task? Fat kids often become fat adults, and considering more than half of Americans are obese, with all the associated maladies and illnesses, why not let all these fat Alberts, stay fat, die now from Corona and save themselves from a life of misery and fat shaming?

The speculation that Covid-19 limits the bloods ability to carry oxygen, like carbon monoxide poisoning,
would match this to some extent. Deep breaths do not help, not because of lung limitations, but the bloods inability to pick up that oxygen.

The speculation that Covid-19 limits the bloods ability to carry oxygen, like carbon monoxide poisoning,
would match this to some extent. Deep breaths do not help, not because of lung limitations, but the bloods inability to pick up that oxygen.

Terrifying...

I think it's why more black people are dying. The black community has a higher incidence of obesity.

Obesity is linked to poverty and a lack of education.

Poverty among blacks is linked to racism.

Its not a lack of education, its stress. Why that hasn't been looked at more is beyond me. Everyone I know when they are under extended periods of low grade stress tend to want to either eat more, or smoke or drink more caffeine or some other vice that relaxes them a bit. Its something done without thinking about it consciously. I eat more and I smoke more cigars and drink more espresso when stressed. I dont think about it. If you are poor you have more stress in your life. I have been poor. Its stressful. Very.

Terrifying...
It is just a theory, The Spanish flu had a similar condition, it was called the blue death.
The story was the Nurses would go ahead an tie a toe tag on the patients who turned blue,
because they were going to die.

Useful to who?
Anyone who is obese (especially young people), and anyone with asthma.

Does the NYT recommend every child immediately get skinny, and explain how to accomplish this task?
Uhhhh... no. That's not the point. It's that if you are obese -- and that describes 40% of American adults -- it is helpful to know you may be at high risk, and take appropriate precautions. Not that complex.

Anyone who is obese (especially young people), and anyone with asthma.

Uhhhh... no. That's not the point. It's that if you are obese -- and that describes 40% of American adults -- it is helpful to know you may be at high risk, and take appropriate precautions. Not that complex.

No doubt, another bit of useless advice for those who already know people offering such words are charlatans with no solutions. Are you that inconsiderate, that arrogant, to assume those who are obese do no already know, and know well they are at risk for a plethora of maladies? There are no simple solutions, no simple answers and it is that complex, if not more than you can ever imagine. Comedian Jackie Gleason, who fought a personal battle with obesity all his life and died because of that battle, said it best, "Inside every fat man, there is a skinny man struggling to get out."

No one is interested in your condescending platitudes which you offer as advice.

Back
Top Bottom