• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EA cancels another Star Wars game

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Sorry just on the move here, so can’t do a full post with quotes/links etc. But this is exploding so you won’t have trouble finding out more.

and this turned into Way more of a rant than I thought it would.

But Kotakus editor, Jason Schreier broke the news today that EA has cancelled an open world Star Wars game, that was actually the replacement of the other Star Wars game that was cancelled by Visceral Studios, that was shuttered following that cancellation.

I know Disney is just out to make money, but I feel they are smart enough that they know their IP’s should be handled better than this, EA has released a total of two games in half a decade, both cluster****s, particularly Battlefront II, how Disney continues to allow EA to mishandle and bungle one of its most prized IP’s is beyond me.

But I suppose when you see how they’ve mishandled it themselves, perhaps it’s not that shocking.

But Disney at the moment by continuing to allow EA to waste the licensing rights potential by releasing practically no games and what they allowed to happen with The Last Jedi, they are causing more damage to Star Wars than the prequels ever did, they now look good by comparison to Disney’s total mishandling of the franchise.

So **** EA, seriously, **** them man, a waste of space in the gaming industry and Disney, man you guys gotta clean house, get rid of everyone who is ****ing up what is probably your most valuable IP and pull your head out your ass.

/end rant

EA ruined Battlefront, so how would this open-world Star Wars fair better? EA destroys everything it touches

Sorry just on the move here, so can’t do a full post with quotes/links etc. But this is exploding so you won’t have trouble finding out more.

But Kotakus editor, Jason Schreier broke the news today that EA has cancelled an open world Star Wars game, that was actually the replacement of the other Star Wars game that was cancelled by Visceral Studios, that was shuttered following that cancellation.

I know Disney is just out to make money, but I feel they are smart enough that they know their IP’s should be handled better than this, EA has released a total of two games in half a decade, both cluster****s, particularly Battlefront II, how Disney continues to allow EA to mishandle and bungle one of its most prized IP’s is beyond me.

But I suppose when you see how they’ve mishandled it themselves, perhaps it’s not that shocking.

But Disney at the moment by continuing to allow EA to waste the licensing rights potential by releasing practically no games and what they allowed to happen with The Last Jedi, they are causing more damage to Star Wars than the prequels ever did, they now look good by comparison to Disney’s total mishandling of the franchise.

So **** EA, seriously, **** them man, a waste of space in the gaming industry and Disney, man you guys gotta clean house, get rid of everyone who is ****ing up what is probably your most valuable IP and pull your head out your ass.

/end rant

The people who are running the franchise are more interested in pushing their "Up With Women" political agenda than they are in making good movies or than they are in making movies that make money, and Disney has been informed that if they move against this cabal then there will be a full scale mutiny at Disney all across the corporation.

Crap is the future as well as the present and the past.

EA ruined Battlefront, so how would this open-world Star Wars fair better? EA destroys everything it touches

Every once in awhile something EA related can be fine, look at “A way out” or me and my son had an amazing time playing unraveled 2, when they let their Devs do what they do best, its amazing what can happen.

But for Disney, by allowing EA to waste the entire licensing rights on doing basically nothing with it, they’re damaging the long term prospects of the IP, **** like LEGO Star Wars does more than just make money, it gets more people engaged with the franchise leading to ulterior profits elsewhere.

What did Battlefront one and two do?

Just piss everyone off and it didn’t sell that well to boot.

So EA is selling Star Wars games badly, making Disney fewer bucks On the deal and they’re damaging the brand, Disney pulling the plug on EA’s exclusive rights should be a no brainer, unless Disney is pants on head dumber than a bag of dicks.

I guess they thought they could not sell it to every man, woman, and child in the world as seems to be the baseline for success of an EA or Activision game these days. If they cant have all the money they would rather have none, it is what happens when you promise investors the moon.

Floaty Leia and chubby Luke were nowhere near as bad as Jar.

I guess they thought they could not sell it to every man, woman, and child in the world as seems to be the baseline for success of an EA or Activision game these days. If they cant have all the money they would rather have none, it is what happens when you promise investors the moon.

Is e.a trying to gain a monopoly in the video game industry?

Pffft, in their dreams.

They’re far too incompetent and out of touch with their consumer base to do that.

They struck gold with certain things, like FIFA and its card packs, but they milked everything so hard they’ve nearly broken it.

Pffft, in there dreams.

They’re far too incompetent and out of touch with their consumer base to do that.

They struck gold with certain things, like FIFA and its card packs, but they milked everything so hard they’ve nearly broken it.

But they keep buying out rival companies and shutting them down.

Every once in awhile something EA related can be fine, look at “A way out” or me and my son had an amazing time playing unraveled 2, when they let their Devs do what they do best, its amazing what can happen.

But for Disney, by allowing EA to waste the entire licensing rights on doing basically nothing with it, they’re damaging the long term prospects of the IP, **** like LEGO Star Wars does more than just make money, it gets more people engaged with the franchise leading to ulterior profits elsewhere.

What did Battlefront one and two do?

Just piss everyone off and it didn’t sell that well to boot.

So EA is selling Star Wars games badly, making Disney fewer bucks On the deal and they’re damaging the brand, Disney pulling the plug on EA’s exclusive rights should be a no brainer, unless Disney is pants on head dumber than a bag of dicks.

One problem is the length of time it would require to make a good SW game, what time frame to base it in, how to work notable characters in, how not to break canon, how not to create new canon and on and on, but EA.....ew.

Ubi, bungie, or even Valve could be doing a better job imo.

But they keep buying out rival companies and shutting them down.

There are three big publishers, and it’s not about rivals, it’s about IP’s and studios.

So EA buys developers up, takes their IPs and then shuts them down.

They’re notorious for that.

But the big three are (in order of scumbaginess)

EA
Activision Blizzard
Ubisoft

None of these are in danger of losing to another at this time.

/end rant

But how do you feel about Blizzard and the lack of a Diablo IV announcement?

/ducks
/hides
/hides better

There are three big publishers, and it’s not about rivals, it’s about IP’s and studios.

So EA buys developers up, takes their IPs and then shuts them down.

They’re notorious for that.

But the big three are (in order of scumbaginess)

EA
Activision Blizzard
Ubisoft

None of these are in danger of losing to another at this time.

Why shut down studios?

My son, who is in the hospital at the moment but who is also something of an expert on the gaming world, agrees with most of this thread.

He too cannot for the life of him understand how Disney could be screwing up this badly.
They almost have "a license to print money" and they're blowing it.

I don't know diddly about gaming but I immediately called him up and he agrees.
(my son Daryl on the right)

DarylChalen2.jpg

Why shut down studios?

Streamline, cut down costs that they don’t deem necessary.

Example, they buy the studio that made Command and Conquer, shut it down, retain the IP rights, sit on it for ages... come out with mobile game to sell micro transactions.

Rinse, repeat, EA is sitting in a mountain of beloved IPs they do nothing with, I hate them so much.

Streamline, cut down costs that they don’t deem necessary.

Example, they buy the studio that made Command and Conquer, shut it down, retain the IP rights, sit on it for ages... come out with mobile game to sell micro transactions.

Rinse, repeat, EA is sitting in a mountain of beloved IPs they do nothing with, I hate them so much.

Why buy up studios and Ip rights of games if you never intend to make games?

Why buy up studios and Ip rights of games if you never intend to make games?

Can’t necessarily explain that, but you never know an IP will come in handy for monetization, it’s not about the quality or integrity of the content, it’s about pleasing the investors, off of FIFA ultimate team card packs alone, they made nearly a billion dollars.

Why would you spend ages developing a bunch of IPs when you can develop fewer, safer ones for the time being and make a ****load of cash.

Can’t necessarily explain that, but you never know an IP will come in handy for monetization, it’s not about the quality or integrity of the content, it’s about pleasing the investors, off of FIFA ultimate team card packs alone, they made nearly a billion dollars.

Why would you spend ages developing a bunch of IPs when you can develop fewer, safer ones for the time being and make a ****load of cash.

Why would any future studio or up work for ea games given their practices

Why would any future studio or up work for ea games given their practices

Post production people who invested a lot of money in Apple woke up one day to find out that their upgraded OS no longer supported Apple Color, a tool which used both software and hardware that they had grown to love when color grading films and television. Suddenly a bunch of their hardware had been turned into expensive boat anchors with no advance notice.

Just - - BLAMMO, and it doesn't work anymore.

Sounds like EA does something similar to game IP stuff but since they are EA, the eight hundred pound gorilla, no one argues with them, just like Apple.

Moral of the story: When you buy a game, buy stock in the company, too. For example, Take-Two Interactive, which owns much of its most-successful content (and thus doesn't piss money down the toilet in the form of licensing fees :doh) has a 5-year stock-price performance, even with the latest market swoon, of +521.29%. :cool:

No but apparently making billions of dollars in less than a week was not meeting expectations, which makes you wonder what the hell they promised investors. As Jim Sterling says they do not want some of the money, they want all of the money. EA though is actively breaking gambling laws in many countries right now.

Moral of the story: When you buy a game, buy stock in the company, too. For example, Take-Two Interactive, which owns much of its most-successful content (and thus doesn't piss money down the toilet in the form of licensing fees :doh) has a 5-year stock-price performance, even with the latest market swoon, of +521.29%. :cool:

At the cost of becoming one of the main causes of cancer in the gaming industry and they seem to be promising investors that same growth going forward, which is just ludicrous. It is not just Take-Two, it is all of the large publishers.

I'm confused...is the anger here that they canceled a Star Wars game or that it would have been awful?

The people who are running the franchise are more interested in pushing their "Up With Women" political agenda than they are in making good movies or than they are in making movies that make money, and Disney has been informed that if they move against this cabal then there will be a full scale mutiny at Disney all across the corporation.

Crap is the future as well as the present and the past.

jesus forking christ, a thread about a video game and you bring this up? you people are sick

Back
Top Bottom