• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EA-19 Growler

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Are these to be held for a future need or are they being deployed currently. If they are, they would have to stay in NATO airspace. What is their range to jam surface radar and communications?

NVM, the link answered my question. Once airborne what is the range, if anyone knows?

Are these to be held for a future need or are they being deployed currently. If they are, they would have to stay in NATO airspace. What is their range to jam surface radar and communications?

NVM, the link answered my question. Once airborne what is the range, if anyone knows?

I've got a Growler running interference around my compound. Good for riff raff. Not that we get a lot of riff raff anyway, but still. Cant be too careful imo. Man, I'd like to have the money that that plane right there must cost. I'd put it to good use.
To answer the question I have no idea what the range is. Dont know anything about it.

IMG_0814.JPG

The actual range is classified. They are extremely powerful.

I've got a Growler running interference around my compound. Good for riff raff. Not that we get a lot of riff raff anyway, but still. Cant be too careful imo. Man, I'd like to have the money that that plane right there must cost. I'd put it to good use.
To answer the question I have no idea what the range is. Dont know anything about it.

View attachment 67382785
Look up “growler’ in British slang.

View attachment 67382787

When talking about range, don't forget...

WW
Anyone know if that is a HARM on the outboard pylon? Been so long...

The middle pods on each wing are ALQ pods, which do all the work. The aircraft is just there to get the pods where they need to be kinda thing.

The middle pods on each wing are ALQ pods, which do all the work. The aircraft is just there to get the pods where they need to be kinda thing.

Looks like. It's not a sidewinder (AIM-9). AMRAAM is about the same size (IIRC) but the mid-body fines seem a little different and I don't know if the EA-18G can even carry an AMRAAM.

I'm thinking HARM.

WW

Looks like. It's not a sidewinder (AIM-9). AMRAAM is about the same size (IIRC) but the mid-body fines seem a little different and I don't know if the EA-18G can even carry an AMRAAM.

I'm thinking HARM.

WW

AGM-88 HARM

You can tell at a glance by the larger front fins with a kink in them.

AGM-88 HARM

You can tell at a glance by the larger front fins with a kink in them.
That is what I was thinking. It has just been 30 years since I was around them, so was not positive. Thanks for the confirmation.

it looks like one and it kinda makes sense for an EW bird to carry them.

That is what I was thinking. It has just been 30 years since I was around them, so was not positive. Thanks for the confirmation.
Same here. I can't even remember what some of that stuff looks like anymore. Loaded armaments on F-4's from 86-92.

Same here. I can't even remember what some of that stuff looks like anymore. Loaded armaments on F-4's from 86-92.
Reserves? How many hours did those F-4s have on them?

I did 18's from 87-93, so a year after you.

Reserves? How many hours did those F-4s have on them?

I did 18's from 87-93, so a year after you.
Indiana Air National Guard 122nd CAMS Ft. Wayne.

Was told the planes we had came from Germany and before that Vietnam. My dad called in air strikes to his remote Special Forces camp (67-68?). I could have been loading munitions on the same planes that he called in.

Indiana Air National Guard 122nd CAMS Ft. Wayne.

Was told the planes we had came from Germany and before that Vietnam. My dad called in air strikes to his remote Special Forces camp (67-68?). I could have been loading munitions on the same planes that he called in.

I worked on Vietnam era A-4Fs, graduated to A-4Ms with Vietnam era CH-53s.

That info is TS/SCI and codeword protected. Any answer you get on here would either be inaccurate or a felony.

I found this article on next-generation jamming pods for the Growlers. The old EA-6B Growlers had gold-lined canopies to protect the crew from the intense radiation generated by the jamming. I imagine the 18's do as well. Kinda cool.

I found this article on next-generation jamming pods for the Growlers. The old EA-6B Growlers had gold-lined canopies to protect the crew from the intense radiation generated by the jamming. I imagine the 18's do as well. Kinda cool.

I remember those canopies well. Our squadron assisted in securing an EA-6B crash site. Me and others scampered around looking for the gold. What I found was more sobering. A fist sized chunk of an AERO 7 wing ejector rack. It was the biggest piece I found other than the engines.

My research has the EA-6 series nicknamed “Prowler.”

My research has the EA-6 series nicknamed “Prowler.”
My personal experience has them called "those loud, annoying ****ing things". Srsly, they made the snot in your nose vibrate when at high power on deck(painful) , they where stupid long and you could not go under them or behind them safely, so they where always in the way. They just sucked...

From what I understand, that's an electronic warfare platform, which does jamming and probably anti-radar work.

Could be used defensively, to prevent Russian radars from seeing stuff inside NATO countries?

Probably have bigger EW platforms for that?
Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom