• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EA-19 Growler

My personal experience has them called "those loud, annoying ****ing things". Srsly, they made the snot in your nose vibrate when at high power on deck(painful) , they where stupid long and you could not go under them or behind them safely, so they where always in the way. They just sucked...
All I know about them is from the Stephen Coonts book and film. I always thought it odd that the crew occupied side by side seats.

I've got a Growler running interference around my compound. Good for riff raff. Not that we get a lot of riff raff anyway, but still. Cant be too careful imo. Man, I'd like to have the money that that plane right there must cost. I'd put it to good use.
To answer the question I have no idea what the range is. Dont know anything about it.

View attachment 67382785

Lol. I didn't notice the forum and thought he meant a beer growler.

Look up “growler’ in British slang.
I can do that but first I'd rather to point out that the NATO code name for the Russian vaunted air defense system S-400 is "Growler."

NATO gave it that nick because of the racket it makes when they turn it on. Talk about wake up the dead...

Still the US has a cruise missile that flies below "Growler's" radar to take it out.

S-400_SAMS_during_the_May_parade_2010.jpeg

S-400 surface-to-air missile systems during the Victory parade 2010.

The S-400 Triumf (Russian: C-400 Триумф – Triumf; translation: Triumph; NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler), previously known as the S-300 PMU-3,[2] is a mobile, surface-to-air missile (SAM) system developed in the 1990s by Russia's Almaz Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering as an upgrade to the S-300 family. The evolved version of the S-400 system is the S-500 Prometheus, which entered service on 16 September 2021.
[3]

Last time Russia had a victory was in 1945 --- and counting.

All I know about them is from the Stephen Coonts book and film. I always thought it odd that the crew occupied side by side seats.
I've read that side by side seating actually works better for naval missions.

I've read that side by side seating actually works better for naval missions.
I am not sure that is true. With the EA-6B, there is both side to side and front to back seating. F-14's where front and back seating. S-3s and E-3s...well, it is complicated.

I am not sure that is true. With the EA-6B, there is both side to side and front to back seating. F-14's where front and back seating. S-3s and E-3s...well, it is complicated.
Most aircraft that start out as fighters will be "front to back" as it enables the pilot better overall vision

The actual range is classified. They are extremely powerful.
Would it be a fair assumption that the EA 18 could be at altitude within NATO airspace and cover a large portion of Ukraine?

Would it be a fair assumption that the EA 18 could be at altitude within NATO airspace and cover a large portion of Ukraine?
I honestly do not know. I know the ALQ pods are incredibly powerful, but I think that is more in terms of what they can do, not necessarily range.

"A large portion" is a subjective term not really a quantifiable term.

In the EW world there are two realms, the passive and the active. Passive EW systems can function at much longer ranges at altitude because because they are attempting to detect active system that are transmitting energy. For these system altitude and curvature of the earth are important factors.

For active systems, such as RADARS, you have to transmit enough energy to get to the target, have a PRF of the RADAR for the range, and have enough relected energy to get back to the source.

In short "passive" ranges - at altitude - are much farther then for "active" systems because transmitted power and unambiguous range issues based on PRF for pulsed RADARs.

Flying in NATO airspace for passive EW? Ya. Flying in NATO airspace for active jamming and deception tactics? Sure, but at greatly reduced ranges.

1649791608540.png

Anyone know if that is a HARM on the outboard pylon? Been so long...

The middle pods on each wing are ALQ pods, which do all the work. The aircraft is just there to get the pods where they need to be kinda thing.
Yep its an AGM-88 variant. The pods are ALQ 218 receivers on the wingtips and the ALQ 99 jamming pods on the inboard stores station.

Looks like. It's not a sidewinder (AIM-9). AMRAAM is about the same size (IIRC) but the mid-body fines seem a little different and I don't know if the EA-18G can even carry an AMRAAM.

I'm thinking HARM.

WW
They can carry everything a regular F/A 18 E/F can are 90% the same plane.

Depends on what they are going up against and the technique they are using. If they are taking out selected frequency bands in a certain directions then they can cover a fair bit of range, if its full spectrum wide area jamming then a small bubble that covers a strike group. Its a matter of power and distributing it effectively.

Back
Top Bottom