• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

E-Cigs

HumanBeing

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Has anyone here tried "e-cigarettes"? If so, which brands did you try and which ones were good? I just started looking into the whole thing, and there seems to be a massive amount of choice, and very little in terms of information regarding the differences between all the different kinds. Is that because they are all basically the same?

I have tried them, but only a few times. Why are you interested in them? Are you trying to quit, or do you just want to make it more "clean?"

Has anyone here tried "e-cigarettes"? If so, which brands did you try and which ones were good? I just started looking into the whole thing, and there seems to be a massive amount of choice, and very little in terms of information regarding the differences between all the different kinds. Is that because they are all basically the same?

My neighbor had one. I really don't know why, since he doesn't smoke. I forget the brand, but it tasted like a cigarette (nasty). It also didn't force me to use my albuterol inhaler like real tobacco products would.

They're very different from each other, but I wouldn't recommend any of them. I've seen the inside of that industry. There are safer ways to quit.

This same question popped up about a week or so ago, which kind oh pricks up my ears, but of well. Since someone asked, I wrote up a huge post (2, actually) about everything I saw and learned.

You'd do yourself a favor to read it:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-t...-tobaccos-next-big-move-4.html#post1061921670

HumanBeing, it's harder to kick the habit than to fight off the addiction. By smoking e-cigs, you're doing neither. You should go cold turkey. If you don't, then at least go for the real stuff...

I quit smoking about 6 months ago. First 3 weeks are hell and require a lot of willpower (or, i.e., not thinking about cigs), but then it becomes easier, and easier, and easier...

I have been using e cigs for 2 years. I love it. Njoy or 510 thread is the one I use. I use the tank to refill. Lungs feel great.

I quit smoking cold turkey several years ago but my sisters do use e-cigs.So far I seen two different types.One type looks like a cigarette the looks like some sort of weird drug paraphernalia.

With the ones that look like cigarettes the part that looks like the filter is what holds the liquid while the other part is the rechargeable battery. One of my sisters that is using this paid 15 bucks for the starter kit from one of the local smoke shops.The starter kit consists of the battery, usb port charger and two of the filter looking things that have the liquid and the a pack of five of those filter things is about 15 buck.From what I understand each filter thing is equivalent to two packs of cigs.

The kind that looks like some weird drug paraphernalia is sort of similar but instead of a self contained filter looking thing with the liquid you buy a vile a of liquid and you refill it yourself and I think there is some other part you have to buy once in a while.When my other sisters got these the starter kits were 60 bucks and shops let them try out different flavors of e-cigarette liquids. I think they got two of the e-cigarettes. I think they got everything from regular tobacco flavor to Dr. Pepper flavor.Even though the starter kit for this kind is more expensive my sisters using this have told me that long term wise you save more money than the ones that look like cigarettes.You also have to be more careful because they can break a lot easier that the ones that look like cigarettes. I have heard that some people do get a little irritation in their throat,I have read somewhere that this is due to the nicotine strength being too high.

They do make USB charger adapters that you can plug into a wall outlet or cigarette lighter/power port in your car.These I think you can get for 10 bucks or less.

Attachments

• ManWithEcig_3.jpg
    ManWithEcig_3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 28
  • adapter_views2.jpg
    adapter_views2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 23
  • usb-car-charger-01.jpg
    usb-car-charger-01.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
So far I seen two different types.One type looks like a cigarette the looks like some sort of weird drug paraphernalia.

I had wondered about that. I stopped smoking rolling tobacco because I was worried my staff would think I was smoking weed, so for the same reason I don't want to get anything that looks too much like a typical weed vaporizer. I found some forum where a lot of people were recommending the V2 brand that was in one of the photos you posted, so far that's looking like the best option, and I think they actually sell them here so I won't have to order them in which is a big plus.

On the negative side, it sounds like these things are going to cost me more than cigarettes just for the liquids :(

kingsbridge said:
HumanBeing, it's harder to kick the habit than to fight off the addiction. By smoking e-cigs, you're doing neither. You should go cold turkey. If you don't, then at least go for the real stuff...
Fair point, but my main motivation for wanting to quit is not wanting cancer. As long as it doesn't give me that, it seems like it would be better than what I'm smoking now. I've tried going cold turkey before, it didn't go well :(

captainawesome said:
I love it. Njoy or 510 thread is the one I use
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if they are available here :)

Yes, I started two years ago with e-cig and quit a pack a day habit immediately. After much research I found that the biggest issue is having enough battery amps to last throughout the day to prohibit one from having to fall back on 'analogs'. I found that a riva 510 or ego offer a ~650mha battery which lasts all day easily. As to the 'juice' cost, after thorough analysis the cost including apparatus runs ~$1.00/day.

I suggest the riva 510-t lite (or similar) bundle to get started as it includes everything needed except juice.

Here is a reliable source:
Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510-T
(Note the 20% discount button in the upper left hand corner of the page)

As to the health issues, I have read arguments from both sides and the seem equally compelling.

Yes, I started two years ago with e-cig and quit a pack a day habit immediately. After much research I found that the biggest issue is having enough battery amps to last throughout the day to prohibit one from having to fall back on 'analogs'. I found that a riva 510 or ego offer a ~650mha battery which lasts all day easily. As to the 'juice' cost, after thorough analysis the cost including apparatus runs ~$1.00/day.

I suggest the riva 510-t lite (or similar) bundle to get started as it includes everything needed except juice.

Here is a reliable source:
Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510-T
(Note the 20% discount button in the upper left hand corner of the page)

As to the health issues, I have read arguments from both sides and the seem equally compelling.

Thanks for this. I'm slightly confused. It says the cartridge lasts for 5-10 "real cigarettes" (presumably equivalent in time or nicotine or whatever). Does that mean the cartidge runs out after that time and I fill it back up with liquid, or does it mean I need new liquid AND a new cartridge? This whole thing is looking a lot more expensive than just smoking normal cigarettes, I can get a pack here for the equivalent of about 40 cents and it looks like the liquid is going to cost me more than that. :(

Thanks for this. I'm slightly confused. It says the cartridge lasts for 5-10 "real cigarettes" (presumably equivalent in time or nicotine or whatever). Does that mean the cartidge runs out after that time and I fill it back up with liquid, or does it mean I need new liquid AND a new cartridge? This whole thing is looking a lot more expensive than just smoking normal cigarettes, I can get a pack here for the equivalent of about 40 cents and it looks like the liquid is going to cost me more than that. :(

You refill it.

The liquid is far cheaper than smoking. I dont even spend a dollar a day.

You refill them. A cartridge will last for ~10-15 refills essentially until the 'filler material' gets skunky. A cartridge holds 10-15 drops of 'juice'. If you are purchasing cigarettes for $0.40/pack they are going to be cheaper by about half. Here in the states smoke run ~$6-10/pack which justifies the change.

I dont even spend a dollar a day.

I live in Cambodia, I could get two packets of cigarettes and change for a dollar ;)

Dickieboy said:
You refill them. A cartridge will last for ~10-15 refills essentially until the 'filler material' gets skunky. A cartridge holds 10-15 drops of 'juice'. If you are purchasing cigarettes for $0.40/pack they are going to be cheaper by about half.
In fairness, cost wasn't a reason for wanting to stop, I just wasn't expecting it to be more expensive. Having said that, I've literally spent the last 15 minutes drooling over the "Liquids: sweets and others" page from that site you linked to. Tiramisu flavored nicotine vapor? Sign me up :D Doesn't look like they ship here but I should be able to get it forwarded :)

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom