• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

E bikes better for the environment than conventional bicycles

Chainsawmassacre

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Summer is coming and I'm thinking of replacing my current e bike with a fat tire model to do more logging road rides. I had to laugh when as I researched bikes I came across the following.

"Since e-bike riders don’t need to expend as much energy to pedal, in theory, they don’t need as many calories as someone pedaling a conventional bike. In turn, this means less production and fewer food miles per person. If you look at it this way, e-biking might even be better and more energy-efficient than walking. Traveling just one kilometer by e-bike requires about five to 15 watt-hours of energy. Meanwhile, walking demands 15 to 20, depending on the person. "

Yep that's how nuts these people are.

Summer is coming and I'm thinking of replacing my current e bike with a fat tire model to do more logging road rides. I had to laugh when as I researched bikes I came across the following.

"Since e-bike riders don’t need to expend as much energy to pedal, in theory, they don’t need as many calories as someone pedaling a conventional bike. In turn, this means less production and fewer food miles per person. If you look at it this way, e-biking might even be better and more energy-efficient than walking. Traveling just one kilometer by e-bike requires about five to 15 watt-hours of energy. Meanwhile, walking demands 15 to 20, depending on the person. "

Indeed. Sounds nuts to me, too. I'd ask who would fund or publish such a study, and what is their financial interest in the development, sale, or manufacture of e-bikes.

Well that's stupid.

This is the premise of the blog:

Now, North Americans are starting to make the switch, and within the next three years (2020-2023), experts expect 130 million e-bikes to sell globally. By 2023, there should be about 300 million e-bikes on the streets. . . .With that in mind, what’s the true environmental impact of e-bikes? Let’s take a closer look at both the good and the bad for the environment.

The rest is the author's conjecture about various factoids. It compares things like relative emissions of e-bikes with those of cars; wear on roads between the two. It focuses on drawbacks like environmental cost of making the batteries.

The only thing nuts is that you actually managed to get yourself riled up over a dime-a-dozen internet blog making the tamest, most non-provocative points on Earth.

This is the premise of the blog:

Now, North Americans are starting to make the switch, and within the next three years (2020-2023), experts expect 130 million e-bikes to sell globally. By 2023, there should be about 300 million e-bikes on the streets. . . .With that in mind, what’s the true environmental impact of e-bikes? Let’s take a closer look at both the good and the bad for the environment.

The rest is the author's conjecture about various factoids. It compares things like relative emissions of e-bikes with those of cars; wear on roads between the two. It focuses on drawbacks like environmental cost of making the batteries.

The only thing nuts is that you actually managed to get yourself riled up over a dime-a-dozen internet blog making the tamest, most non-provocative points on Earth.

The OP was addressing the assertion that eBikes replacing conventional (pedaled) bikes was good for the environment.

The OP was addressing the assertion that eBikes replacing conventional (pedaled) bikes was good for the environment.

No, the OP wasn't.

The OP was using a single silly point from a single hand-picked internet blog to call people who aren't AGW deniers and general opponents of cleaner energy "nuts".

The only thing nuts is that you actually managed to get yourself riled up over a dime-a-dozen internet blog making the tamest, most non-provocative points on Earth
Saying "I had to laugh" is " riled up "? Seems you are the riled up one. Really though it's indicative of how these AGW people are so in love with e vehicles and so obsessed with climate change that they somehow convince themselves that the highly polluting batteries and the source of whatever charges them is actually better for the environment than walking or riding a conventional bike. Just nutty stuff proffered by nutty people.

This e bike will tell you how much carbon you didn't put into the atmosphere and how many trees you saved because you took a bike ride. LMAO
Nice bike though!

"Riders can see at a glance not only the usual data, such as current speed, battery charge level (as a percentage, not just your typical “4 bars”) pedal assist level, trip distance, total distance, and calories burned per trip, etc., but also some metrics on the environmental impact of riding the e-bike, such as the amount of CO2 reduced per trip (and cumulative CO2 reduced over all rides), and the number of “trees saved” both per trip and overall."

Saying "I had to laugh" is " riled up "? Seems you are the riled up one. Really though it's indicative of how these AGW people are so in love with e vehicles and so obsessed with climate change that they somehow convince themselves that the highly polluting batteries and the source of whatever charges them is actually better for the environment than walking or riding a conventional bike. Just nutty stuff proffered by nutty people.
I swear to think "left" these days, there must be some experiment unknown to us taking place.

Why is that supposedly nuts? If it's true, it's based on efficiency calculations. Riding a bike is said to be the most efficient form of transportation. Electric motors are very efficient. Electric bikes take less human energy to use but more electrical energy.

Because you recently came out of the closet as being progressive with regard to food, you already know it also matters what the person using the bike eats. Most animal products are horribly inefficient foods. Some say that what people eat is more important than what transportation they use because food is a bigger climate change issue than transportation.

It is not so difficult to think of an e-bike with a solar panel recharge system, that would have little CO2 emissions. I have been playing with e-bikes for about 5 years, my current model is a tandem with a 14 AH 48 volt, which in theory would have a 20 + mile range.

Yes, these are the same people who will hector us by saying "Ya know, the world's supply of fossil fuels is not unlimited!" as they pretend the world's stores of lithium and rare earth metals needed for the current generation of renewable energy systems are.

E bikes are great, I have two. One has about 2800 miles on it, and the one I ride the most has about 5800 miles on it.

Great fun, good exercise and a great way to ditch the car whenever possible.

Why is that supposedly nuts? If it's true, it's based on efficiency calculations. Riding a bike is said to be the most efficient form of transportation. Electric motors are very efficient. Electric bikes take less human energy to use but more electrical energy.

Because you recently came out of the closet as being progressive with regard to food, you already know it also matters what the person using the bike eats. Most animal products are horribly inefficient foods. Some say that what people eat is more important than what transportation they use because food is a bigger climate change issue than transportation.
One word. BATTERY

It is not so difficult to think of an e-bike with a solar panel recharge system, that would have little CO2 emissions. I have been playing with e-bikes for about 5 years, my current model is a tandem with a 14 AH 48 volt, which in theory would have a 20 + mile range.
They are fun machines. My current bike gets 90 miles on a charge if I keep it on level one assist. Recently I got a fat tire conventional bike and love the smooth ride on rough roads so I'm going fat for my e bike too.

E bikes are great, I have two. One has about 2800 miles on it, and the one I ride the most has about 5800 miles on it.

Great fun, good exercise and a great way to ditch the car whenever possible.
My current e ride.

My current e ride.

I have a Pedego Comfort Cruiser, and a Pedego Interceptor.

We have gone off the deep edge with this shit.

As a cyclist, I can't see myself using one of those since I ride for exercise and transportation. If you properly maintain your bike, you can keep parts replacement to a minimum, but that only seems to be the case among the die-hards, because your average cyclist tends to let the components go to hell.
:)

This year's Juiced RipCurrent S comes with a 1000W hub and is only $2500. That's what I have my sights set on. Later this summer I'll be moving to a place that's only a 15 minute ride to my office so I'll be happily using it to commute on good days.

We have gone off the deep edge with this shit.

We haven't even come close to a good start in fixing the problems we've created. If you're uncomfortable with that, that's your conservative problem.

Back
Top Bottom