• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dying US Senator apologizes for Trump's Islamaphobia

Admitting you know s*** is a good beginning. For your European benefit, here it is:

Under U.S. Code, the president does have the statutory authority to keep anyone out of the country, for any reason he thinks best.

Per 8 USC §1182:

“Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

Did you get it or was it too complicated?
Interesting.
Since Trump won't be moving into the White House in January he won't be stopping anyone from coming into the USA.

Wait and see.

:lol:

Again, that's not the question, nor it is your claim.

You claimed that banning someone or a group of people from entering the US was against the constitution. When I questioned your reasoning, requesting substantiation of this claim that you made, you blew me off and said I needed to read the Constitution.

As it turns out, it's not against the Constitution, and in fact law supports the denial of entry to person(s).

Seems to me that you need to read the Constitution.

Interesting.

Again, that's not the question, nor it is your claim.

You claimed that banning someone or a group of people from entering the US was against the constitution. When I questioned your reasoning, requesting substantiation of this claim that you made, you blew me off and said I needed to read the Constitution.

As it turns out, it's not against the Constitution, and in fact law supports the denial of entry to person(s).

Seems to me that you need to read the Constitution.

I read it a long time ago when I was in school.

Trump's big mouth will have zero effect on U.S. border controls.

Wait and see.

That would likely run afoul of the First Amendment.

It would? Where has the Supreme Court ever even implied that? Please give specific citations. The protections of the First Amendment do not apply to aliens who have not entered U.S. territory.

However, there is precedent for deciding by country. We could then allow for limited exceptions based on evidence of victims of ongoing persecution (many of those would just happen to be Christian). We can't directly exclude Muslims, but can take steps that have that effect.

Nonsense. The people of the United States can exclude any alien they please, for whatever reason they please. They do not need to justify their decision to anyone.

Wait and see.

Hey, I am sweating my ass off to show you things - like that little silly law in Post #70 above - and you don't even say thank you. Don't have any manners?

I read many things in school and by now I don't even remember what I forgot. No wonder you are clueless.

Likely? Are you just guessing?

And what does the First Amendment have to so with immigration? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

President can discriminate against any class of immigrants all day long, including - a horror of horrors - Muslims.

Exactly right. The Supreme Court has made clear that Congress' power over matters of alienage is almost absolute. In the federal statute you cited, Congress delegated some of that power to the President. As long as it provides clear guidelines in the law for how the power is to be exercised--as it seems to have done in that one--the law will pass constitutional muster.

It'd be time to re-read it and brush up, I'm thinking.

Wait and see.

Wasn't the question. Wasn't the topic. The only thing that you are right about, so far in this thread, is that we'll have to wait and see.

Exactly right. The Supreme Court has made clear that Congress' power over matters of alienage is almost absolute. In the federal statute you cited, Congress delegated some of that power to the President. As long as it provides clear guidelines in the law for how the power is to be exercised--as it seems to have done in that one--the law will pass constitutional muster.

The law was passed in 1952 so looks like it already did.

"This Court has repeatedly emphasized that over no conceivable subject is the legislative power of Congress more complete than it is over the admission of aliens. Our cases have long recognized the power to expel or exclude aliens as a fundamental sovereign attribute exercised by the Government's political departments largely immune from judicial control . . . in the exercise of its broad power over immigration and naturalization, Congress regularly makes rules that would be unacceptable if applied to citizens." Fiallo v. Bell, 430 U.S. 787 (1977).

"This Court has repeatedly emphasized that over no conceivable subject is the legislative power of Congress more complete than it is over the admission of aliens. Our cases have long recognized the power to expel or exclude aliens as a fundamental sovereign attribute exercised by the Government's political departments largely immune from judicial control . . . in the exercise of its broad power over immigration and naturalization, Congress regularly makes rules that would be unacceptable if applied to citizens." Fiallo v. Bell, 430 U.S. 787 (1977).

Amen.

Now we can all go to the park to enjoy great weather. At least in the Chicago area.

The law was passed in 1952 so looks like it already did.

Right. The Supreme Court, with an eye to the constitutional separation of powers, used to enforce a doctrine called "unlawful delegation." In Schechter Poultry in 1935, it struck down the National Recovery Act, the crown jewel of FDR's New Deal programs, as an unlawful delegation of Congress' legislative power to the President. But it changed course after 1935, and unlawful delegation has gone the way of the traveling call in the NBA. As long as Congress includes fairly clear guidelines in a law for how a power is to be applied, it can use that law to delegate that power to the Executive Branch, even though the power is exclusive to Congress.

I sometimes think the run-of-the-mill leftist dim bulb, ignorant of even basic civics, must imagine the Constitution prohibits anyone from doing anything that makes a member of any of the leftists' pet grievance groups (including Muslim aliens) feel all icky or invalidated, or otherwise gives that person's inner child an boo-boo. How are leftist dopes supposed to create a nation of infantilized victims, with a stupid, outdated document written by white, slave-owning men standing in the way?

Hey, I am sweating my ass off to show you things - like that little silly law in Post #70 above - and you don't even say thank you. Don't have any manners?

I read many things in school and by now I don't even remember what I forgot.
No wonder you are clueless.

Come back and tell us all about it after Trump gets his backside handed to him in November.

Everything that the Trump supporters will spend the rest of their life crying about-all of the woulda, coulda, shouldas.

I have news for you. Trump supporters are mostly white. I am not sure if you know it, but we, whites, are still on the top deck. White privilege or maybe something like getting up in the morning and going to work. Who knows.

The ship is taking in water but whites will be the last ones to drown. Plus, as you may have already heard, we have guns. Many guns to keep the looters away, or, if they are too persistent, to kill them.

The first group that will be screwed really good if Trump is denied the opportunity to bring jobs back home will be blacks.

Next, Latinos.

Whites last.

Feel better now?

One of the truly great singer-songwriters of the last 50 years but he sort of went whacko and called for the murder of Rushdie. Sounds like he has terrorist proclivities.

I didn't know about him calling for Rushdie's death. I still haven't read The Satanic Verses, or whatever that title is. <adds to reading list> The pen has always been mightier than the sword.

I didn't know about him calling for Rushdie's death. I still haven't read The Satanic Verses, or whatever that title is. <adds to reading list> The pen has always been mightier than the sword.

Depends-dont bring a pen to a sword fight. I think you'd lose. :mrgreen:

Depends-dont bring a pen to a sword fight. I think you'd lose. :mrgreen:

I get all of the Kennesaw and budk mailers. There are some pens that do more than write. You'd have to get all Ninja and stuff because they just stab. But it would help.

Using one of their canes that have a secret sword inside would be your best bet. en garde!

I have news for you. Trump supporters are mostly white.
I am not sure if you know it, but we, whites, are still on the top deck. White privilege or maybe something like getting up in the morning and going to work. Who knows.

The ship is taking in water but whites will be the last ones to drown. Plus, as you may have already heard, we have guns. Many guns to keep the looters away, or, if they are too persistent, to kill them.

The first group that will be screwed really good if Trump is denied the opportunity to bring jobs back home will be blacks.

Next, Latinos.

Whites last.

Feel better now?

And I also have news for you:plenty of White people will be voting against Trump for the same reasons that others will be voting for him.

Trumps hate and fear message repels just like it attracts.

True, but Trump was literally just spewing islamophobic bull****.

Exactly what? That refugees could be terrorists or other Muslims could be because they can't be vetted? That is a truth. It may not be pleasant.

Yes for some it would take morphine yet for many more just being intelligent, rational and decent is enough.

Dying people will always abandon their principles out of fear.

Back
Top Bottom