• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DVD Parental Control

jfrancis

Reaction score
According to CBSNews.com, on Wednesday April 27, President signed a bill that gives legal protection to filtering technology that helps parents automatically skip or mute sections of commercial movie DVDs. This bill was also intended to help parents keep their children from seeing sex scenes, violence and foul language in movie DVDs. However, if I am correct, some DVD players have Parental Control set on them. I know most APEX model are equipped with Parental Control. So, why should we need a bill that tells parents what type of movies to allow their kids to watch. Parents should already have the knowledge of what type of movies to allow their kids to watch. Why should a bill be installed that allows parents to control their kids from watching sex, violence, and foul language? In addition, some movies have ratings, that warn parents about the level of sex scenes, violence, and language. If parents are aware of these things, then why is our government wasting its time creating bills such as this one. This is something that does not require a bill for our parents to understand. Children should not be allowed to view these types of movies, even if the movies are bootleg copies.

I don't care how much billions of dollars someone spends or how many bills are signed, you're not going to stop Children from learning these things. If you turn on the television at night time you're defiantly going to see a Girls Gone Wild commercial, if you turned on the TV a couple of a years ago you hear that our President had a sexual affair.
Why is our Government doing stuff like that? Why do they intend to shelter us some more, shouldn't they be doing more important things!
Is it even possible to filter Commercials?

Prime example of no way to stop foul language of getting out. At Wednesday Night Church I was watching over the little infidels (or kids as most of you like to call them) when all of a sudden I heard the Preachers Son (not in Grammar School) call another girl a "dirty whore", then followed that up with "Bitch" (if that gets filtered then I mean word for a female dog)

What you failed to mention in this is that the bill was brought about because, according to the article you are talking about, some film makers in Hollywood are suggesting (via suit) that such technology violates copyright laws. Bush simply wanted to make sure this technology was available. I do agree it is a bit ridiculous that it is a bill. But I find it even more ridiculous that these technology companies are being sued for creating editing material due to content. I personally believe that a parent should not let a child watch a movie if the child is too young for the content that is originally in it to begin with, but that is not something that ought to be legislated. There is no reason why this technology should not be allowed to continue if parents are choosing to use it to edit material for their children.

Arch Enemy said:
I don't care how much billions of dollars someone spends or how many bills are signed, you're not going to stop Children from learning these things. If you turn on the television at night time you're defiantly going to see a Girls Gone Wild commercial, if you turned on the TV a couple of a years ago you hear that our President had a sexual affair.
Why is our Government doing stuff like that? Why do they intend to shelter us some more, shouldn't they be doing more important things!
Is it even possible to filter Commercials?

Prime example of no way to stop foul language of getting out. At Wednesday Night Church I was watching over the little infidels (or kids as most of you like to call them) when all of a sudden I heard the Preachers Son (not in Grammar School) call another girl a "dirty whore", then followed that up with "Bitch" (if that gets filtered then I mean word for a female dog)
Well in this case it is not the government censcoring anything. It is simply allowing companies designed to allow that option for parents within a household. I do not completely agree with your logic of absolutely no "sheltering." I would personally not want my child to watch a violent rape scene, or hear words over and over again that if are repeated in school or in public may offend others or get the child into trouble. I certainly am not advocating absolute seclusion from the adult world, but there are things that need to be taught to a child as they mature that they cannot understand before they recieve other types of education first.

whoa whoa whoa, wait, I never said absolutely no shelter I am a strong supporter of not showing gruesome scenes of Beheadings on TV.. you quoted something which was never there.

I said that we're basically as sheltered as we need to be.

Arch Enemy said:
whoa whoa whoa, wait, I never said absolutely no shelter I am a strong supporter of not showing gruesome scenes of Beheadings on TV.. you quoted something which was never there.

I said that we're basically as sheltered as we need to be.
But, arguably this this is a law preventing suits that will take away the ability for a parent to conduct their own cencoring inside their household, as many do. So it is, arguably the actions of the court to mantain that the "current amount of shelter" be upheld and continued.

Back
Top Bottom