• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dutch politician on trial on hate speech charges

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
AMSTERDAM — Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders went on trial Monday for alleged hate speech, even as his popularity and influence in the Netherlands are near all time highs.

Prosecutors say Wilders incited hatred against Muslims with remarks comparing Islam to Naziism and by calling for a ban on the Quran. Wilders argues he has a right to freedom of speech and his remarks were within the bounds of the law.

If convicted, he faces up to a year in prison.

snip

"I've had enough of Islam in the Netherlands; let not one more Muslim immigrate," he wrote in the paper. "I've had enough of the Quran in the Netherlands: Forbid that fascist book."

The flamboyant bleach-blond politician has also called for taxing clothing commonly worn by Muslims, such as headscarves — or "head rags," as he called them — because they "pollute" the Dutch landscape. He may be best known for the 2008 short film "Fitna," which offended Muslims around the world by juxtaposing Quranic verses with images of terrorism by Islamic radicals.

The Associated Press: Dutch politician on trial on hate speech charges

Apparently, Wilders doesn't yet realize just how destructive Shria based tolerance gone a muck can effect things we take for granted like free speech according to Islam. Could this type of thing be coming here to America? unchecked, my answer is yes.

j-mac

Apparently, Wilders doesn't yet realize just how destructive Shria based tolerance gone a muck can effect things we take for granted like free speech according to Islam. Could this type of thing be coming here to America? unchecked, my answer is yes.

j-mac

As much as I'd like to say, "Hey! We've got this little thingie called the First Amendment!" I also can see the day that our government will begin to enforce a ban on hate speak. And if ever that's going to happen, I could see anti-Muslim rhetoric being the "test case."

j-mac

What is more telling to me isn't so much who is wrung up on charges of hate speech in various European countries, but who isn't. If there were any consistancy to their approach, a good portion of their muslim population would be standing trial, themselves.

As much as I'd like to say, "Hey! We've got this little thingie called the First Amendment!" I also can see the day that our government will begin to enforce a ban on hate speak. And if ever that's going to happen, I could see anti-Muslim rhetoric being the "test case."

I think at least at this moment it would be a spark point for those already seeing the erosion of our rights under this administration. But, it is interesting that the religion of peace is being so coddled is it not? I mean, this is just another example of Europe's problem with their culture being co opted by Islam.

j-mac

Just look north of the border and the case with Mark Steyn.

Kanuckistan does not have laws protecting free speech; they have speech polizei.

I think at least at this moment it would be a spark point for those already seeing the erosion of our rights under this administration. But, it is interesting that the religion of peace is being so coddled is it not? I mean, this is just another example of Europe's problem with their culture being co opted by Islam.

j-mac

You could not say that in most of central EU without being looked at strangely. They have little clue.

Last edited:

j-mac

Yet the fundamentalist wackos in the man made global warming fairy tale religion can get away with making videos were nonbelievers are blown up and snot nose little British school kid punks can make threats.http://www.debatepolitics.com/envir...pressure-somewhat-graphic.html#post1059018075

Last edited:
This sucks, but this could never happen in America because we have nifty first amendment thing. Isn't it awesome!

This sucks, but this could never happen in America because we have nifty first amendment thing. Isn't it awesome!

But, but, you don't understand...The Imams are not preaching hate per se, they are just instructing their followers to kill all nonbelievers.

What is more telling to me isn't so much who is wrung up on charges of hate speech in various European countries, but who isn't. If there were any consistancy to their approach, a good portion of their muslim population would be standing trial, themselves.

My friend I agree with your assessment of what should be, but I believe that the political correctness, and bending over backwards to be able to claim tolerance for all.

Something else that I believe inters into this in the minds of some is fear of retaliation.

Remember Muslim terror suspect tries to assassinate Danish cartoonist. Police shoot and arrest axe-wielding Somali man with links to al-Qa'ida.

The fact that Geert Wilders may have a few very accurate points doesn't enter into it much.

It's like the The Tea Party goers being called Racists, haters, and that rude nasty vulgar, term that could be used to disparage a gay man, just because the Tea Party in opposed to the Trifecta of Doom's Attacks on everything this Nation once stood for like the Constitution, and the Values of our Founders.

Until the world wakes up to the facts, and bans outright ALL CULTS that advocate hate murder, the subjugation of any other person, and that includes allowing for multiple wives, and then each Nation makes it a minimum 10 years at hard labor for any infraction. We will see more and more of this as the Muslims are on the move to take over as the majority all over the world.

Not really sure how, but the OP somehow managed to conclude that this is the Muslims' fault.

Yes, OP, if those darned Muslims would just stick to countries where they belong, people wouldn't say bigoted things about them! :roll:

j-mac

Just FYI, the free speech Americans take for granted doesn't exist in Europe. It hasn't for a very long time. There are so many restrictions on it, I don't even know how they can even call it "free" anymore.

How much does it suck to live in a country where real liberty doesn't exist?

Not really sure how, but the OP somehow managed to conclude that this is the Muslims' fault.

Yes, OP, if those darned Muslims would just stick to countries where they belong, people wouldn't say bigoted things about them! :roll:

I believe some may have missed the point here.

It is not the presents of Muslims that is in question. It is the reality that immigrants have left their homes for what ever reason and moved to a new Nation based on it being better in some way than the place they left, and yet they want to change the new home into something like they left behind.

I don't blame the Muslims for the changes those who were born there oppose I blame politicians for allowing changes that recognize laws or customs being forced on those who don't want them.

When it begins here I can only hope that it will be declared Unconstitutional because Sharia laws are essence Religious Laws and there for to enforce them would mean the Government would be not permitting the free exercise there of but would actually be endorsing a religion which is not permitted.

If anyone is pining for the way home was I say go home or shut up things are the way they are because that is what the place you chose was founded on.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be so quick to just fire off that which you take for granted here Star. We certainly see now how policies enacted in the previous administrations can be used by another, like this one, to go even further in curtailing rights which you seemingly defend here, but only to the point in which it bolsters your opinion.

j-mac

Political correctness is simply a tool to protect the weak-minded. I am so tired of it being wrong for people to voice the obvious. How long do governments think their people are going to deal with Islamic terror threats, all-the-while immigrants from nations harboring terrorists are pouring into their nation. Such things are only permitted as long as the population buy into it, wake-up people!

Just FYI, the free speech Americans take for granted doesn't exist in Europe. It hasn't for a very long time. There are so many restrictions on it, I don't even know how they can even call it "free" anymore.

Does not exist anywhere and never has... "free speech" is and always has been an illusion.

All laws, treaties, contracts....whatever are merely an illusion. People seem to forget that without the consent of the population none of these ideas are real. The Constitution itself is only concrete as long as the majority of this country decides to observe it and live within its boundaries. If 80% of the nation decided to ignore the laws and do as they wished, no one could stop them. Buy-in is a necessity and sooner or later, the protection of those Muslims who wish to bring Shria law to Western nations are going to find that the laws they are taking advantage of to protect themselves in their movements to change their new home into that of the old one, no longer are enough to protect them.

What various European governments do to you to limit free speech almost pales in comparison to what Europeans do to each other. The social pressures applied to make sure everybody is in lock step in regards to the Emperors new clothes looks to be quite overwhelming since just about anybody who dares comment that he is actually naked gets vilified so.

Only when liberals have power.

j-mac

HAHA, that is a good one.. guess it was the "liberals" that went all wacko over a bare breast during the Superbowl...... yes that is just as important in free speech as some idiot dutch-man voicing his racist views about another religion. Or how about all those attempts by right wingers in the bible belt to ban books with "homosexual content"... great free speech ideal you got there.

What various European governments do to you to limit free speech almost pales in comparison to what Europeans do to each other. The social pressures applied to make sure everybody is in lock step in regards to the Emperors new clothes looks to be quite overwhelming since just about anybody who dares comment that he is actually naked gets vilified so.

HAHAHA, so funny.. ever heard of the Dixie chicks? Or how about other people who spoke out against Bush's war against Iraq in the lead up to the war?

Only when liberals have power.

j-mac

j-mac, you and others really need to refine some of the terms you toss about like you do. It isn't a liberal characteristic to limit free speech -- it is the characteristic of an authoritarian. In the case of European authoritarians, it is a leftist authoritarianism for the most part, but the essential element here is the authoritarianism, not liberalism. These leftists are NOT liberals.

HAHAHA, so funny.. ever heard of the Dixie chicks? Or how about other people who spoke out against Bush's war against Iraq in the lead up to the war?

I supported what the Dixie Chicks had to say, and the attitudes of those here who would limit them remind me very much of your own authoritarian attitudes, except from a different direction.

Back
Top Bottom