• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated attack

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated attack

An international lawyer has alleged she was “brutalised” by two Dutch police officers in a racially motivated attack that reportedly left her in hospital.Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated attack | The Independent

This is going to be interesting, I personally hope that the surveillance video is released so that we can see who is speaking the truth.

The views of the Hague police can be read here.

This is the thing that is most baffling for me when she wrote (this lawyer):

I kept explaining that I am an expat working at the Court, that I did not know that walking across the street was a crime, that I did not do anything wrong,

From what I read in the Dutch news media, who have seen the surveillance video the police has, shows the following:

1. she jaywalked (something especially a lawyer should know is not legal)
2. she not only jaywalked but ignored a red light when jaywalking
3. she was nearly hit by a city bus who had a green light, almost causing an accident

Those things any lawyer should know are "not only a crime/illegal but which are most certainly doing something wrong".

But then it comes to the behavior of the police, according to a group of journalists who were allowed to view the footage, these things could be seen when the police asked her for her identification (something that is what every person in the Netherlands has to be able to provide when summoned to do so by the police, usually for the giving of a ticket):

This is what is written in the AD (Dutch newspaper) who saw the video:
But on the video it can be seen that her arrest was very calm at first. Officers talk to the lady first from inside their car after she crossed through a red light. Laguerre does not respond to the officers and keeps walking. The woman does not seem to understand that she is very lucky that she was not flattened by the city bus. That bus has to brake harshly to avoid hitting her.

The officers are not intending to let her get away with ignoring them and drive backwards and stop several meters away to again to to her. They ask the woman for her identification but Laguerre makes no visible attempt to comply with the summons of the police. She does park her bike on the stand and tries to move away from the officers.

At that moment the officers take Laguerre into custody and try to cuff her. On the pictures one can see that Laguerre does not voluntarily comply with her arrest and that she tries to resist her arrest. The officers are not able to put both cuffs on and she is put in the car with just one handcuff. Contrary to her claims, her ankle was not slammed in the door because the video shows the door of the police car closes effortlessly.

This is going to be really interesting she said, they said case (with one side having video evidence).

Again, I hope that the police puts the video online so that everybody can see it with their own eyes. But if this lady was telling the truth, the police will have to apologize to her and if she was not, it should be her who should be doing the apologizing.

PS. after she was brought to the police station, she was brought in front of an ADA (or the Dutch version of that) who told her she would be giving a ticket/charged with not being able to identify herself (so not even for the dangerous jaywalking), not for her resisting arrest (which the police themselves described as:

From the moment the officer grabbed her arm, she fiercely tries to resist arrest. The images show that the woman tries to pull away from the officers repeatedly. She also tries with her legs to trip up one of the officers while screaming at passing people to help her. Eventually the officers, who appear to remain calm and controlled, achieve to put on one handcuff. Because she keeps resisting several more minutes, the officers put her in the car with just one handcuff. Even in the car she keeps her fierce resistance and the officers ask (and get) for approval to take her in with police lights and sirens to take her in as soon as possible.

The entire incident, from the officers approaching her after her traffic offense and her being released takes one hour and twenty minutes in total.

Re: Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated at

An international lawyer has alleged she was “brutalised” by two Dutch police officers in a racially motivated attack that reportedly left her in hospital.Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated attack | The Independent

This is going to be interesting, I personally hope that the surveillance video is released so that we can see who is speaking the truth.

From what I read in the Dutch news media, who have seen the surveillance video the police has, shows the following:

3. she was nearly hit by a city bus who had a green light, almost causing an accident

Those things any lawyer should know are "not only a crime/illegal but which are most certainly doing something wrong".

But then it comes to the behavior of the police, according to a group of journalists who were allowed to view the footage, these things could be seen when the police asked her for her identification (something that is what every person in the Netherlands has to be able to provide when summoned to do so by the police, usually for the giving of a ticket):

This is going to be really interesting she said, they said case (with one side having video evidence).

Again, I hope that the police puts the video online so that everybody can see it with their own eyes. But if this lady was telling the truth, the police will have to apologize to her and if she was not, it should be her who should be doing the apologizing.

PS. after she was brought to the police station, she was brought in front of an ADA (or the Dutch version of that) who told her she would be giving a ticket/charged with not being able to identify herself (so not even for the dangerous jaywalking), not for her resisting arrest (which the police themselves described as:

From the moment the officer grabbed her arm, she fiercely tries to resist arrest. The images show that the woman tries to pull away from the officers repeatedly. She also tries with her legs to trip up one of the officers while screaming at passing people to help her. Eventually the officers, who appear to remain calm and controlled, achieve to put on one handcuff. Because she keeps resisting several more minutes, the officers put her in the car with just one handcuff. Even in the car she keeps her fierce resistance and the officers ask (and get) for approval to take her in with police lights and sirens to take her in as soon as possible.

The entire incident, from the officers approaching her after her traffic offense and her being released takes one hour and twenty minutes in total.
Like most liberals she probably thinks she can get away with her illegal behavior if she makes herself out to be a victim in some way.
L

Re: Dutch police accused of brutalising international lawyer in racially motivated at

The only reason this could be noticed is that there is an African American female lawyer (working at The Hague? ) involved. That is interesting, in deed.

Like most liberals she probably thinks she can get away with her illegal behavior if she makes herself out to be a victim in some way.
L

Are you sure she is a liberal? All we know is her being an African American female lawyer big city cyclist working in The Hague at court. I doubt the police persons would have spoken to her had they known that. ;)

I like this part of her nonsense the most........

Ms Laguerre said she lives in fear based on her race following the incident, adding that she had been particularly shocked by the fact that it had occurred in "broad daylight".

International court apologies to police over intern's racism arrest claim - DutchNews.nl

The case is closed. If she's gonna spend time in Europe she should really familiarize herself with our laws. Most countries, you have to carry ID at all times and not make a fuss when asked to produce it. She's an idiot drama queen. Most of what she claimed did not happen.

International court apologies to police over intern's racism arrest claim - DutchNews.nl

The case is closed. If she's gonna spend time in Europe she should really familiarize herself with our laws. Most countries, you have to carry ID at all times and not make a fuss when asked to produce it. She's an idiot drama queen. Most of what she claimed did not happen.

If stopped by the police do what they say. It's not the time to protest or adjudicate the case. That's for later, in court.

If stopped by the police do what they say. It's not the time to protest or adjudicate the case. That's for later, in court.

And in the Netherlands that is very easy. Refuse to pay the ticket and let it go to court. But that will be a case (in this situation at least) is where you will loose, it is mandatory to have your ID on you at all times if you are summoned by the police to show it. Not having knowledge of the law is not a valid reason not to comply with it.

What is even worse is saying that jaywalking through a red light is not illegal/not doing anything wrong, because in just about every country walking through a red light in not legal/doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom