• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dumbing Down Our Kids of Color

I am blaming the SPECIFIC WHITE PEOPLE you can see in the clips, and the people who gave them a sense of entitlement to call for violence just as they did on January 6th at the Capitol.
This isn't our public education system, it's the education system funded by the same dark money that fueled the Capitol insurrection.
I am blaming the "education" that they've received at the hands of Rupert Murdoch, OAN, NewsMax, and of course, the ongoing Trump insurgency.
And YES, those happen to be "white people", too.
At least you are being more specific.
It's still all Trump's fault and the people who voted for him.
Good explanation for the failure of our schools to deliver kids who can read and write.
Now we can all stop posting on this meaningless thread.

I am not sure if there is a better thread to place this observation in (if there is, let me know):
From brief research, I found state GDP (https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/files/2021-06/qgdpstate0621.pdf ) was directly linked to the number of charter schools (with the exception of Kentucky, which has none or/blank on this site: https://charterschoolcenter.ed.gov/category/states/

The current problem of the charter school debate seems to be that there's not an apples-to-apples comparison. In other words, if you are talking about a charter school in inner city Bronx (for example) and comparing their results to the entire state of New York, yes, the state's schools (many of which have more funds than a single charter school would have) will perform better.

What we need to be looking at are the results of other poorly-funded Bronx schools and compare them to the charter schools' results. That would be the "truer" apples-to-apples correlation

Thoughts?

Yes, Gov Kate Brown of OR is another 'woke' idiot wants to pander to people of color.
Townhall. :rolleyes: I'm not worried about the reading comprehension of Oregon students right now, if you know what I mean.

Back in the real world, the law temporarily suspends a few exams for the 2023-2024 grads. It doesn't alter the curriculum. Students still need at least 24 credits in English, math, physical sciences and social sciences to graduate. It's not race-specific, it's a result of the pandemic chewing up at least 1 full school year.

But hey, anything you can do to race bait any port in a storm, eh?

Townhall. :rolleyes: I'm not worried about the reading comprehension of Oregon students right now, if you know what I mean.

Back in the real world, the law temporarily suspends a few exams for the 2023-2024 grads. It doesn't alter the curriculum. Students still need at least 24 credits in English, math, physical sciences and social sciences to graduate. It's not race-specific, it's a result of the pandemic chewing up at least 1 full school year.

But hey, anything you can do to race bait any port in a storm, eh?

From the Snopes writeup:
"Although the bill temporarily lifted the requirement to pass a standardized proficiency test, high school graduates would continue, in effect, to have to demonstrate the same basic academic competencies in question."

I don't know what a standardized proficiency test is.
Obviously, if you need to pass tests in a variety of high school subjects, somewhere along the line you need to be able to read and write.

And there will always be ignorant people, regardless of color, who get through high school barely able to read or write.

I am not sure if there is a better thread to place this observation in (if there is, let me know):
From brief research, I found state GDP (https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/files/2021-06/qgdpstate0621.pdf ) was directly linked to the number of charter schools (with the exception of Kentucky, which has none or/blank on this site: https://charterschoolcenter.ed.gov/category/states/

The current problem of the charter school debate seems to be that there's not an apples-to-apples comparison. In other words, if you are talking about a charter school in inner city Bronx (for example) and comparing their results to the entire state of New York, yes, the state's schools (many of which have more funds than a single charter school would have) will perform better.

What we need to be looking at are the results of other poorly-funded Bronx schools and compare them to the charter schools' results. That would be the "truer" apples-to-apples correlation

Thoughts?
Yours is a fair assessment of the difficult of comparing one charter school to another.
I went to a Catholic school in the inner-city (West) Bronx and if I didn't learn my lessons from the nuns there were cheeks to be pinched and hands to be smacked with rulers. SO I was motivated to learn my lessons.

Yes, Gov Kate Brown of OR is another 'woke' idiot wants to pander to people of color.
Let's lower education standards so that everyone can get through high school and not have to worry about the hard tasks of reading and writing.
That makes sense after years of telling people of color that in order to get ahead in this challenging world they need to learn how to read and write. Maybe even be able to count to one hundred without using your fingers.

I know, I know, I live in a state that is even nuttier than its southern neighbor CA.

What is wrong with Progressives who believe they are helping people of color?

We live in an upside-down world where Progressives of all stripes will come to the Gov's aid to justify her hurting people of color - including parents who will be raising uneducated kids.

Michael Reagan​

8/14/2021 12:01:00 AM - Michael Reagan​

"Only in our upside-down and dumb world of woke politics, which assumes that only white kids can learn to read and count, could someone actually believe that the futures of kids of color will be helped by lowering education standards. Black and brown parents in Oregon and every major U.S. city who can’t afford private schools, or who are unable to homeschool their kids, should be marching and protesting and raising hell with local politicians of both parties.
Instead, they’re being taught Critical Race Theory, a racist and twisted way of looking at our history that teaches school kids to hate America and hate white people.
I’m also glad Martin Luther King Jr. is dead, so he can’t see how our failed educators are using the BS of Critical Race Theory to judge people by the color of their skin and not their character."
I really do not condone this legislation but from my observation, most kids graduate from H.School with very poor skills in writing and math. The problem begins early and at home. Geoffrey Canada (Harlem Children's Zone) learned that it is best to begin by educating pregnant Moms on the basics of child rearing and nutrition, then keep them in the loop for early education right through H.School. Its a big lift, but expecting High School teachers to make up for all that was missing in the early years is completely unrealistic. Unfortunately, among other problems we have a cultural bias against scholarship. That seems to be truer today then ever. Bookworms and geeks are not the popular kids. They tend to hide their enthusiasms in school. I know I did.

The good news is the parents will do that for us. Just allow them to spend the tax money allotted to their child at the school of their choice. Who better than the parents to make such a decision anyway?

Yep, a truly moronic way of trying to hide the fact that public K-12 education is failing ‘students of color’. By switching to the Special Olympics model (HS diplomas become participation trophies) we can (very temporarily) boost the self-esteem of obvious underachievers.

Of course, that falls apart fairly rapidly as employers realize that an Oregon HS graduate may well be practically untrainable due to their lack of adequate reading comprehension and math skills, thus will demand applicants have a college education. No problem, say the woke - we will simply make college free and kick that can down the road (at much higher costs).
I mean the whole reason teachers opposed standardized testing is because it showed just how deep the rot in the education system is

Had a good ol' chuckle on this one...love how they are saying the left is dumbing down minorities when they've been dumbing down white children for the past 20 years....

I mean the whole reason teachers opposed standardized testing is because it showed just how deep the rot in the education system is
Really?! My kid is 10 years out of H.School but in my observation, it was typically parents who failed their kids. It was parents who told them they didn't need to be educated because they could always become a fisherman or carpenter or....and who needs to know how to spell anyway. It was parents who objected when teachers tried to discipline unruly, disruptive jerks in their classes. Teaching to the test forced teachers to attend countless precious hours at meetings trying to justify or modify lesson plans to conform to the testing regimen. Even the shop teacher had to justify his lesson plans ( the only class most of the boys wanted to attend). He finally quit and that excellent program is gone for good.

Really?! My kid is 10 years out of H.School but in my observation, it was typically parents who failed their kids. It was parents who told them they didn't need to be educated because they could always become a fisherman or carpenter or....and who needs to know how to spell anyway. It was parents who objected when teachers tried to discipline unruly, disruptive jerks in their classes. Teaching to the test forced teachers to attend countless precious hours at meetings trying to justify or modify lesson plans to conform to the testing regimen. Even the shop teacher had to justify his lesson plans ( the only class most of the boys wanted to attend). He finally quit and that excellent program is gone for good.

Yep, it is those darned (annual?) tests which keep teachers from being able to teach properly. If we simply did away with those pesky tests then the teachers could return to producing graduates who were actually educated. ;)

By “unruly disruptive jerk” you probably mean regular boys who are being punished for not being girls. Because our gynocentric education system is geared on producing male failure.

education being sex segregated with mandatory hiring of male teachers would fix this

Yep, it is those darned (annual?) tests which keep teachers from being able to teach properly. If we simply did away with those pesky tests then the teachers could return to producing graduates who were actually educated. ;)
All the gang kids would be Rhodes scholars if only we didn’t track teacher performance

A disappointingly superficial response from you. Have you any children in the school system? Do you REALLY want to blame the teachers for the failures of families and society? Have you familiarized yourself with the methods and successes of Harlem's Children Zone?

By “unruly disruptive jerk” you probably mean regular boys who are being punished for not being girls. Because our gynocentric education system is geared on producing male failure.

education being sex segregated with mandatory hiring of male teachers would fix this
Huh?? What are you talking about.

I am thinking of the boys (in an all male class with a male teacher) who hid recording devices in their pockets before they goaded/taunted/ and swore at their teacher (my brother-in-law) until he (predictably) grabbed one by the scruff of the neck. Of course the use of physical force prompted complaints by the parents and suspension for the teacher not the students.

B.T.W. I would be happy to see education become sex segregated or at least adopt required standardized uniforms... but that is beside the point.

A disappointingly superficial response from you. Have you any children in the school system? Do you REALLY want to blame the teachers for the failures of families and society? Have you familiarized yourself with the methods and successes of Harlem's Children Zone?

Hmm… are you no longer trying blame those pesky tests?

Agreed.
Teachers and schools should be measured by how prepared, and the performance of, their students for in the next grade, the next level of education, trade school or college at the student's choice.

None of this matters much in the long run if we can’t get mandatory quality pre-school for all students, and make child development a more important priority for households that view scholastic achievement as unnecessary or worse, elitist. Until then, we’re arguing over types of band-aids.

Agreed.
Teachers and schools should be measured by how prepared, and the performance of, their students for in the next grade, the next level of education, trade school or college at the student's choice.
I mean we know this because when No child left behind was passed, which I have my own problems with, it conditioned federal funding on students passing and many schools simply cut the passing score, in Michigan they literally cut the passing scores on their state tests by half. And still Detroit area students weren’t passing

None of this matters much in the long run if we can’t get mandatory quality pre-school for all students, and make child development a more important priority for households that view scholastic achievement as unnecessary or worse, elitist. Until then, we’re arguing over types of band-aids.
Lol
Are you another “believe the science” liberal who denies the scientific fact that pre-K education doesn’t impart any benefits at all to a student past 3rd grade?

you want pre-K so kids can be indoctrinated into left wing BS from a younger age. If you start propagandizing kids that boys can become girls at 3 you bypass any natural sense that they would have saying this isn’t true

Yes. I want to blame teachers for failure to teach basic curriculum. It doesn’t take a high IQ to learn to do math at a basic level and to teach reading and writing.

what we have instead is teachers who range from indifferent to open evangelists for leftism. Those types should be rotated out

I mean we know this because when No child left behind was passed, which I have my own problems with, it conditioned federal funding on students passing and many schools simply cut the passing score, in Michigan they literally cut the passing scores on their state tests by half. And still Detroit area students weren’t passing
Hadn't realized that. That's seriously embarrassing.

But what do you expect from a government run monopoly where there is no competition?

Yes. I want to blame teachers for failure to teach basic curriculum. It doesn’t take a high IQ to learn to do math at a basic level and to teach reading and writing.

what we have instead is teachers who range from indifferent to open evangelists for leftism. Those types should be rotated out
To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, 'You can lead a kid to the classroom but you cannot make him think'. If parents, the culture, and even the former POTUS impart the impression that America loves the uneducated and hates the educated "elites" well then... there is a reason why some cultures do well educating their kids.

I don't know what to say about your leftist conspiracy theories. Do you have kids??

To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, 'You can lead a kid to the classroom but you cannot make him think'. If parents, the culture, and even the former POTUS impart the impression that America loves the uneducated and hates the educated "elites" well then... there is a reason why some cultures do well educating their kids.

I don't know what to say about your leftist conspiracy theories. Do you have kids??

There is also the excuse that kids from “some cultures“ simply can’t be educated - so why bother?

There is also the excuse that kids from “some cultures“ simply can’t be educated - so why bother?
I have never heard that one. African immigrants , Asian immigrants tend to be higher achievers than their white peers educationally- because they come from cultures/ families which value education.

Its worth noting that although students from China tend to become great test takers, they lag behind in things that cannot be tested, like creativity

Back
Top Bottom