• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dumbing Down Our Kids of Color

jaypatriot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Yes, Gov Kate Brown of OR is another 'woke' idiot wants to pander to people of color.
Let's lower education standards so that everyone can get through high school and not have to worry about the hard tasks of reading and writing.
That makes sense after years of telling people of color that in order to get ahead in this challenging world they need to learn how to read and write. Maybe even be able to count to one hundred without using your fingers.

I know, I know, I live in a state that is even nuttier than its southern neighbor CA.

What is wrong with Progressives who believe they are helping people of color?

We live in an upside-down world where Progressives of all stripes will come to the Gov's aid to justify her hurting people of color - including parents who will be raising uneducated kids.

Michael Reagan​

8/14/2021 12:01:00 AM - Michael Reagan​

"Only in our upside-down and dumb world of woke politics, which assumes that only white kids can learn to read and count, could someone actually believe that the futures of kids of color will be helped by lowering education standards. Black and brown parents in Oregon and every major U.S. city who can’t afford private schools, or who are unable to homeschool their kids, should be marching and protesting and raising hell with local politicians of both parties.
Instead, they’re being taught Critical Race Theory, a racist and twisted way of looking at our history that teaches school kids to hate America and hate white people.
I’m also glad Martin Luther King Jr. is dead, so he can’t see how our failed educators are using the BS of Critical Race Theory to judge people by the color of their skin and not their character."

I forgot to post a link to this unbelievable article.
I still can't believe this is happening in our country where especially parents of kids of all colors understand the importance of an education so that their children don't end up sweeping floors and flipping burgers for the rest of their lives.

Dumbing Down Our Kids of Color​

Michael Reagan
Michael Reagan
|
Posted: Aug 14, 2021 12:01 AM

There was once a time, mainly in the days of slavery, that not only did they not teach blacks to read and write but in many Southern states is was illegal to do so. a North Carolina statute stated, "'Teaching slaves to read and write, tends to excite dissatisfaction in their minds, and to produce insurrection and rebellion." I have heard of tuning back the hands of time but, I don't think this is where any sane person would want to go.

I forgot to post a link to this unbelievable article.
I still can't believe this is happening in our country where especially parents of kids of all colors understand the importance of an education so that their children don't end up sweeping floors and flipping burgers for the rest of their lives.

Dumbing Down Our Kids of Color​

Michael Reagan
Michael Reagan
|
Posted: Aug 14, 2021 12:01 AM

Yep, a truly moronic way of trying to hide the fact that public K-12 education is failing ‘students of color’. By switching to the Special Olympics model (HS diplomas become participation trophies) we can (very temporarily) boost the self-esteem of obvious underachievers.

Of course, that falls apart fairly rapidly as employers realize that an Oregon HS graduate may well be practically untrainable due to their lack of adequate reading comprehension and math skills, thus will demand applicants have a college education. No problem, say the woke - we will simply make college free and kick that can down the road (at much higher costs).

There was once a time, mainly in the days of slavery, that not only did they not teach blacks to read and write but in many Southern states is was illegal to do so. a North Carolina statute stated, "'Teaching slaves to read and write, tends to excite dissatisfaction in their minds, and to produce insurrection and rebellion." I have heard of tuning back the hands of time but, I don't think this is where any sane person would want to go.
There could be some twisted logic here where OR school administrators are really sick of critics telling public schools that students are graduating not being able to read and write and do basic. math.
If you take away the requirement to teach kids the Three R's, then the teachers can say the Gov of Oregon said we don't have to teach them that. Moreover, kids who don't give a shit about school won't be kept back from graduating because they don't have to show that they have learned anything while in school.
See how much easier the teachers' jobs have become?

When I was young (I'm 84), everyone praised your state of Oregon to the skies.

Besides all the rain, people in Oregon were known to be very nice.

So sorry to hear what is happening in your once peaceful state.

It's cold comfort, I know, but it's happening everywhere in this nation.

Since certain students cannot pass some classes, woke authorities say: Pass them anyway. We must not hurt their feelings.

Here's what this opinion piece is mostly about:

That’s because kids aren’t being taught the basics.

Instead, they’re being taught Critical Race Theory, a racist and twisted way of looking at our history that teaches school kids to hate America and hate white people."

OMG, English and math classes have been completely replaced with Critical Race Theory, Hate America, and Hate White People classes!!!

When I was young (I'm 84), everyone praised your state of Oregon to the skies.

Besides all the rain, people in Oregon were known to be very nice.

So sorry to hear what is happening in your once peaceful state.

It's cold comfort, I know, but it's happening everywhere in this nation.

Since certain students cannot pass some classes, woke authorities say: Pass them anyway. We must not hurt their feelings.
I am very happy that my daughter worked hard to send my grand-daughter to a parochial school for 12 years. She is smart and well-educated and in her second year of college on a full scholarship.
I got held back in high school to repeat Geometry.
Too much screwin around and not studying enough.
I learned my lesson.

Here's what this opinion piece is mostly about:

OMG, English and math classes have been completely replaced with Critical Race Theory, Hate America, and Hate White People classes!!!
No one has written that or implied that. This thread is not about CRT.
It's about feckless school administrators unable to get certain students of color to learn the basics of education - so they just push them along and, hopefully, still get federal fund and my taxpayer dollars.
I am waiting for the blow back on this stupid decision.
This is a call for more private and charter schools in this state.

I am very happy that my daughter worked hard to send my grand-daughter to a parochial school for 12 years. She is smart and well-educated and in her second year of college on a full scholarship.
I got held back in high school to repeat Geometry.
Too much screwin around and not studying enough.
I learned my lesson.
I could not attend UCLA in1959 because my high school grades in physics were so bad.

They were bad because I am stupid when it comes to physics & math.

I do not blame anyone else.

Yep, a truly moronic way of trying to hide the fact that public K-12 education is failing ‘students of color’. By switching to the Special Olympics model (HS diplomas become participation trophies) we can (very temporarily) boost the self-esteem of obvious underachievers.

Of course, that falls apart fairly rapidly as employers realize that an Oregon HS graduate may well be practically untrainable due to their lack of adequate reading comprehension and math skills, thus will demand applicants have a college education. No problem, say the woke - we will simply make college free and kick that can down the road (at much higher costs).
Those who graduate from private and charter schools will be more valuable to the state than public school graduates.
I hope more parents clamor for more aid to send their kids to private schools that still value a basic education.

It's a rational government policy. It will increase graduation rates, therefore making the government schools look better.

Parents should be given a school voucher for what their city school district spends per student – upwards of $20,000 a year in most big cities – and be allowed to spend it at any public or private school they want.

Lol, that's not what the money is for. The purpose is to funnel taxpayer dollars into public union coffers.

Those who graduate from private and charter schools will be more valuable to the state than public school graduates.
I hope more parents clamor for more aid to send their kids to private schools that still value a basic education.

My point about employer demands is unlikely to change, they will remain hesitant to bear the added expense of hiring the untrainable. Even with college students, many are using ‘internships’ to try (test?) them before they hire them.

No one has written that or implied that. This thread is not about CRT.

I quoted the opinion piece article you linked which just happened to mention Critical Race Theory in a very exaggerated way.

It's about feckless school administrators unable to get certain students of color to learn the basics of education - so they just push them along and, hopefully, still get federal fund and my taxpayer dollars.

The opinion piece had no actual information nor analysis.

I am waiting for the blow back on this stupid decision.
This is a call for more private and charter schools in this state.

Yes, that's another reason he wrote the opinion piece. "Public schools are bad; CRT has replaced reading, writing, and math basics; and charter schools are the solution." All based on no information nor analysis of whatever's actually going on with Oregon public schools, and why. It's an empty "Here's What to Think" piece.

Last edited:
I quoted the opinion piece article you linked which just happened to mention Critical Race Theory in a very exaggerated way.

The opinion piece had no actual information nor analysis.

Yes, that's another reason he wrote the opinion piece. "Public schools are bad; CRT has replaced reading, writing, and math basics; and charter schools are the solution." All based on no information nor analysis of whatever's going on with Oregon public schools.
Take the article I cited for what it is worth. Written by a strong Conservative.
You want to whine about Conservatives not liking CRT, pick another thread with rabid CRT zealots. This is about idiot Progressives trying to push dumbshit students through high school. Unfortunate this stupid policy is target students of color who will fall even further behind in a competitive society.

Read these for what they are worth:

Oregon governor signs bill removing reading, writing, & math requirements for high school kids, to help ‘students of color’​

10 Aug, 2021 14:33 / Updated 4 days ago

Oregon Scraps High School Graduation Standards, Claims Policy Is ‘Equitable’ for ‘Students Of Color’​

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown Signs Law Removing Basic Literacy and Math Skill Requirement for High School Graduates

Standards dropped to accommodate “Oregon’s Black, Latino, Latina, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color.”

Posted by Fuzzy Slippers Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 05:00pm

It's not just failing students of color; it's failing most students irrespective of color, and I bitched about this for years at DP (in Academia) because I and worthy college students were paying the price for the students who were unable and unprepared to do college-level work. These are students who cannot read at a 9th-grade level, have NO critical-thinking skills, and have to take non-credit "developmental" math courses (to the fury of the parents paying the tuition).

Solution? Inflate grades and offer sometimes ridiculous "accommodations" (not, I rush to add, that there aren't students with genuine learning disabilities who need and deserve accommodations). Above all, professors must be exquisitely sensitive. I think I've posted about this before, but one of my colleagues was an attorney and former FBI agent who was funny, cute, smart, and beloved by most students. But he was guilty of....expectations. He called on a student who couldn't answer a question. She was embarrassed (rather than chagrined that she hadn't done the required reading), and she called her mommie and daddy, and they railed unholy hell down on his dean. My friend was then given a directive: You must notify students in advance if you plan to call on them in class. I am not making this up. My friend said screw it, abandoned academia, and returned to the practice of law.

My point about employer demands is unlikely to change, they will remain hesitant to bear the added expense of hiring the untrainable. Even with college students, many are using ‘internships’ to try (test?) them before they hire them.
Internships (with pay) is a great way to see how a young person works.
More employers should do it to save employee replacement costs down the road.

Oh, yes. Best way to find permanent employees, IMO.

Remember either of these?

Yes, Gov Kate Brown of OR is another 'woke' idiot wants to pander to people of color.
Let's lower education standards so that everyone can get through high school and not have to worry about the hard tasks of reading and writing.
That makes sense after years of telling people of color that in order to get ahead in this challenging world they need to learn how to read and write. Maybe even be able to count to one hundred without using your fingers.

I know, I know, I live in a state that is even nuttier than its southern neighbor CA.

What is wrong with Progressives who believe they are helping people of color?

We live in an upside-down world where Progressives of all stripes will come to the Gov's aid to justify her hurting people of color - including parents who will be raising uneducated kids.

Michael Reagan​

8/14/2021 12:01:00 AM - Michael Reagan​

"Only in our upside-down and dumb world of woke politics, which assumes that only white kids can learn to read and count, could someone actually believe that the futures of kids of color will be helped by lowering education standards. Black and brown parents in Oregon and every major U.S. city who can’t afford private schools, or who are unable to homeschool their kids, should be marching and protesting and raising hell with local politicians of both parties.
Instead, they’re being taught Critical Race Theory, a racist and twisted way of looking at our history that teaches school kids to hate America and hate white people.
I’m also glad Martin Luther King Jr. is dead, so he can’t see how our failed educators are using the BS of Critical Race Theory to judge people by the color of their skin and not their character."
Don't raise the bridge, lower the water. The very idea of lowing standards so blacks, latinos, or other minority groups can "achieve equality" is a farce and does the opposite of getting them to that goal. Equal means equal and liberals don't seem to understand the damage they do to minorities or they just don't care.

If demcrats really want to help minorities they ought to give every minority American a copy of RobertL. Woodson SR's book, "Red, White, and Black, Rescuing American History from Revisionists and Race Hustlers". The truth will set you free.

Don't raise the bridge, lower the water. The very idea of lowing standards so blacks, latinos, or other minority groups can "achieve equality" is a farce and does the opposite of getting them to that goal. Equal means equal and liberals don't seem to understand the damage they do to minorities or they just don't care.

Isn't this the "tyranny of soft expectations"?

Is there any evidence that the motivation for creating these policies is due to "wokeness?" And if so, can anyone provide evidence for that here?

As often is the case here when self-identified conservatives discuss issues of equity, quotes have been crafted to obscure the intentions.

The source for this "convo" includes only snippets from the given explanations.

Here is a fuller quote:

“Under the best of circumstances, in totally normal times with no pandemic, there are a number of children who don’t test well,” Chase said, including children of color, those in need of special education, low-income students and early language learners. She added that it’s “not a deficit on the part of those children.”

(There is documentation on who does well with the type of testing used and why they benefit.)

Reactions: JMR
Internships (with pay) is a great way to see how a young person works.
More employers should do it to save employee replacement costs down the road.

I have never heard the term “internship with pay”. That would seem to be the same as (provisionally?) hiring someone, but being able to let them go (after X amount of time?) without firing them for cause.

Back
Top Bottom