• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Duke lacrosse team suspended after allegation of rape

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So apparently this woman was hired as an exotic dancer to perform at some party for mostly men from Duke's lacrosse team. She claims that three of the guys took her into a bathroom and raped her. She is black and all three men are white, and she claims that they made derogatory comments to her about her race.

Initially, Duke didn't respond to this allegation but subsequently have suspended the team and taken DNA from the guys on the team.

Assuming her allegations are true, I hope that these three guys get convicted and kicked out of school.

Duke sits lacrosse team after rape allegation
Fiery protests raise racial, class tensions between school, poor Durham

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke University’s highly ranked lacrosse team will not play again this season until school administrators learn more about allegations that several team members raped an exotic dancer at an off-campus party, the school said Tuesday.

President Richard Brodhead decided to suspend the team from play “until there is a clearer resolution of the legal situation involving team members,” the university said.

The case has roiled the campus, raised racial tensions and heightened antagonism between the affluent students at Duke, which costs about $43,000 a year, and the city of Durham, which has a large population of poor people and is about evenly divided between white and black. . . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12050859/

So they have denied the allegation and called it "absolutely false." I guess DNA will tell us that next week. The District Attorney in Durham said that he believes the woman was raped. She had those acrylic nails and portions of them were found in the bathroom, which is evidence that supports her allegations. Also, she left her cellphone in the bathroom as well.

This is incredibly disappointing that a school that is clearly one of the best in the country is involved in this kind of scandal.

Statement from Captains of Duke University Men’s Lacrosse Team

“The team has cooperated with the police in their investigation. We have provided authorities with DNA samples. The understanding is that the results of the DNA testing will be available sometime next week. The DNA results will demonstrate that these allegations are absolutely false.

http://dukenews.duke.edu/2006/03/lacrosseteam.html

KCConservative said:
Why would we want to do that, at this point?

Why not? There is evidence out there to support her allegations. The DA was interviewed and said he believed that she was raped. He was able to convince a judge to essentially order that the lacrosse team provide DNA. If there was no evidence, that would not have happened. She reported the incident immediately after it happened. She went to hospital, and they found trauma to her vagina. I guess it's possible that she is lying, but statements made contemporaneously to an incident like this are highly probative, in my opinion.

aps said:
Why not? There is evidence out there to support her allegations. The DA was interviewed and said he believed that she was raped. He was able to convince a judge to essentially order that the lacrosse team provide DNA. If there was no evidence, that would not have happened. She reported the incident immediately after it happened. She went to hospital, and they found trauma to her vagina. I guess it's possible that she is lying, but statements made contemporaneously to an incident like this are highly probative, in my opinion.

Fair enough. Hey, remind me not to have you sit on my jury. :2razz:

KCConservative said:
Fair enough. Hey, remind me not to have you sit on my jury. :2razz:

Don't worry. I would admit that people are guilty unless proven innocent. That will get me kicked off any jury. ;)

Seriously, the way they do it in Virginia for federal court is you're on call for 60 days and have to go to the courthouse multiple times. I got into the jury box 2 times and they booted my butt without asking me any questions. They normally do not like lawyers on a jury. It hurt my feelings. ;)

I wonder what would happen if these weren't Lacrosse players, but Duke basketball players. In big time college athletics, boosters and supporters would be paying this stripper off to go away... Lacrosse can't be a profit center like basketball or football...

There is definately a lawlessness in big time college athletics. Back in the 90's, there was a huge scandal at the University of Arkansas where a school teacher accused some big name basketball players of rape, and it just went away after a period of time and nobody heard anything about it. The players kept playing and one even went to the NBA...

Hopefully, if the DNA tests prove which players actually participated in this, then lock them up and throw away the key...

reaganburch said:
Hopefully, if the DNA tests prove which players actually participated in this, then lock them up and throw away the key...

Yep, agreed.

This thing is getting stranger by the day. They found an e-mail from one of the players where he said he was going to kill the two strippers. What the hell?

The lacrosse coach has resigned as a result of this scandal.

The e-mail, according to an application for a search warrant of the player’s dorm room, was sent from the player’s Duke e-mail account just before 2 a.m. on March 14. Police said investigators received a copy from a confidential source, though they later won a court order seeking access to the account.

In the e-mail, addressed “To whom it may concern,” the player says he has “decided to have some strippers over” to his dorm room, “however there will be no nudity.”

“I plan on killing the bitches as soon as the walk in and proceding to cut their skin off,” the author of the e-mail says, adding in vulgar terms that he would find the act sexually satisfying. The e-mail was signed with what police said is the player’s jersey number.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12171051/

aps said:
This thing is getting stranger by the day. They found an e-mail from one of the players where he said he was going to kill the two strippers. What the hell?

The lacrosse coach has resigned as a result of this scandal.

Dude, what... the f**k...?! :shock:

Back
Top Bottom