• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Duck dynasty star’s passionate anti-abortion speech goes viral [W:22]

Re: Duck dynasty star’s passionate anti-abortion speech goes viral

I did answer your question. Have you seen the show? These people are barely connected to reality. Except the young gay guy that's in charge.

His opinion is not negated. He's welcome to it. However, basing ones position on reality TV stars is a sure way to have ones position taken as a joke. As I do not want my position taken as a joke, I do not offer clowns as support. Crap like this makes pro-life people look bad. As a pro-life person, I don't appreciate being made to look like a duck commanded by backwoods, uneducated reality stars.

I might expect a Poe to use reality stars for political support, but not an educated person. That's how ridiculous it is. It's begging for mockery.
Phil, the patriarch, has said even on the show. He couldnt care less about the show.
And which son is gay, they are all married. Strangly to some smokin' hot women.

The Robertsons dont form my opinion, but I do agree with Phils stance on abortion.

I did answer your question. Have you seen the show? These people are barely connected to reality, except the young gay guy that's in charge.

His opinion is not negated. He's welcome to it. However, basing ones position on reality TV stars is a sure way to have ones position taken as a joke. As I do not want my position taken as a joke, I do not offer clowns as support. Crap like this makes pro-life people look bad. As a pro-life person, I don't appreciate being made to look like a duck commanded by backwoods, uneducated reality stars.

I might expect a Poe to use reality stars for political support, but not an educated person. That's how ridiculous it is. It's begging for mockery. If this guy is the best we got, we might as well fold up the tent.

Well you are being taken as a joke.[regardless your 'position']

Do a little research before you start besmirching people.

Duck Dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legal don't mean right.
Legal means that abortion was not illegal or a "founding principle."

Yes, its a "reality" show. First and foremost done to entertain. You think every one of them duck calls is made by 5 guys sitting around cracking jokes all day?
Oh, and you didnt answer my question. What about him negates his opinion?

What makes his opinion worth more than that of Chumley, or the Lizard Lick towing guy?

I'm not hijacking the thread. My point is that morons on TV should not be the basis of any serious conversation. Are we not allowed to question sources? If my source was Bozo the Clown, no one is allowed to comment on that?

Please use legit sources or leave.

Frankly I'd be more interested in what Phil Robertson has to say, than what most of the talking newsheads have to say, or what Bono or Rosie O'Donnel has to say. Such is the world we live in.

In any case, IIRC the man is a preacher, and this was probably done in the course of his vocation; therefore watch, or watch not, as you please, but I think your judgementalism here is misplaced. You're acting on the assumption that all Duck Dynasty actors are uneducated ignorant stupid rubes... well, the fact that their business is raking in millions of dollars annually and expanding exponentially for quite some time argue otherwise. Willie turned a small hand-made duck call family business into a multi-million dollar biz through the Internet... sounds rather smart to me... then leveraged their business into a popular reality TV show that has made them millions from free advertising and merchandising.... hmmm those Louisiana swamp rednecks may not be so dumb after all hey?

Frankly I'd be more interested in what Phil Robertson has to say, than what most of the talking newsheads have to say, or what Bono or Rosie O'Donnel has to say. Such is the world we live in.

In any case, IIRC the man is a preacher, and this was probably done in the course of his vocation; therefore watch, or watch not, as you please, but I think your judgementalism here is misplaced. You're acting on the assumption that all Duck Dynasty actors are uneducated ignorant stupid rubes... well, the fact that their business is raking in millions of dollars annually and expanding exponentially for quite some time argue otherwise. Willie turned a small hand-made duck call family business into a multi-million dollar biz through the Internet... sounds rather smart to me... then leveraged their business into a popular reality TV show that has made them millions from free advertising and merchandising.... hmmm those Louisiana swamp rednecks may not be so dumb after all hey?

I'm against using reality TV stars to present or support ones political position. It's counter-productive.

I'm against using reality TV to present or support ones political position. It's counter-productive.

Phil Robertson was not engaged in reality TV at the time of this video, but rather in his other vocation as a minister. His DD fame made it go viral, but otherwise his words will have to stand or fall on their substance.

If you don't want to hear what he has to say, don't watch. :shrug:

I'm not hijacking the thread. My point is that morons on TV should not be the basis of any serious conversation. Are we not allowed to question sources? If my source was Bozo the Clown, no one is allowed to comment on that?

Please use legit sources or leave.

A celeb even if it is a B celeb giving his opinion on things shouldn't be a topic of conversation? Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, John Cusack, Rosie ODonnell, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie --these are people ok for serious conversations but not Ducky Ducksworth? (all of the before mentioned having been the source of serious conversations on a variety of topics)

Is it the beard?

Phil Robertson was not engaged in reality TV at the time of this video, but rather in his other vocation as a minister. His DD fame made it go viral, but otherwise his words will have to stand or fall on their substance.

The same could be said for "Pat Robertson", "Billy Graham"...etc, etc. But the OP made Phil Robertson's "opinion" about abortion the topic of the thread.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what his background is. Even if he was and is a minister or a TV reality star he's entitled to his opinion regarding abortion. Phil Robertson's opinion(s) can be accepted or rejected.

I personally don't think he's so special of a person that makes his opinion is more valuable than anybody elses...including yours and mine.

Thanks...

That doesn't address my point.

A celeb even if it is a B celeb giving his opinion on things shouldn't be a topic of conversation? Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, John Cusack, Rosie ODonnell, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie --these are people ok for serious conversations but not Ducky Ducksworth?

No, using any of them to present or support ones position is counter-productive.

The same could be said for "Pat Robertson", "Billy Graham"...etc, etc. But the OP made Phil Robertson's "opinion" about abortion the topic of the thread.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what his background is. Even if he was and is a minister or a TV reality star he's entitled to his opinion regarding abortion. Phil Robertson's opinion(s) can be accepted or rejected.

I personally don't think he's so special of a person that makes his opinion is more valuable than anybody elses...including yours and mine.

Thanks...

That is a reasonable viewpoint, as opposed to the viewpoint I was arguing against which was somewhat less reasonable....

Though in all fairness, I am often heard to say "Who CARES what (insert celebutard here) has to say about (insert political subject here)??? They're an ACTOR/MUSICIAN/ETC not a (insert expert title here)!!!" :mrgreen:

My main objection was the assumption that the DD people were idiots... the money they are raking in suggests they are not...

If one seeks enlightenment from Duck Dynasty people, one is a moron of morons.

I am waiting for Honey BooBoo to chime in.....

That is a reasonable viewpoint, as opposed to the viewpoint I was arguing against which was somewhat less reasonable....

Though in all fairness, I am often heard to say "Who CARES what (insert celebutard here) has to say about (insert political subject here)??? They're an ACTOR/MUSICIAN/ETC not a (insert expert title here)!!!" :mrgreen:

My main objection was the assumption that the DD people were idiots... the money they are raking in suggests they are not...

You are incorrect.

I oppose using celebrities to present or support ones political position, it is counter-productive. My antics were intended to prove that point.

And now you are using the same arguments employed by followers of Sean Penn. "He's rich so he must be smart and wise and he knows better than you!!"

How does it feel to be someone supporting celebrity political elitism based on their money? Who will represent your views next, someone from Storage Wars? That kind of crap makes a joke out of any position - that's why it's counter productive. But hey, who cares about the big picture, right?

Last edited:

If Phil Robertson said "Don't play in the street because you might get run over" and you believed his words would that be equally "moronic".

None are so blind as those who choose not to see.

If you had to go to Phil Robertson in order to learn not play in the street, you are indeed a moron

I hear ya Goshin. Well, if they are idiots...they are incredibly rich idiots.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a beard, talk like a swamp hick, and make duck calls....be on TV...make $200,000 per episode. Even then I'm sure I could find somebody who would disagree with my opinions on anything and everything I might voice. But...Meh! Quack...quack...quack...quack...

No, using any of them to present or support ones position is counter-productive.

I don't believe that was the OP's intended goal. More so it seems an effort to put forth the man's(Ducky's) position. It might be an opinion the OP shares, but, I don't believe the OP put this forth as a testament for Duck hunters everywhere to rally behind. Most duck hunters probably already agree(goes with the clinging to guns and the bible) and the OP is preaching to the choir.

If you had to go to Phil Robertson in order to learn not play in the street, you are indeed a moron

Well, Phil would tell them to play in the woods anyway.

I don't believe that was the OP's intended goal.

I don't care what the OP's goal was. People often do things without proper consideration.

I'm concerned with the turning of my position into a celebrity praising joke. And that's what's happened. "Oh, he's a rich celebrity so he must be smart and wise and know better than you!" Pathetic.

It undermines legitimate debate and is counter-productive to the position by presenting its adherents as starry-eyed celebrity worshipers. And reality TV no less. Oh, the depths to which we will sink.

I've never watched DD before, but I listened to the sermon, and the man is indeed a moron

1) He quotes Washington, as if Washington was pro-life. As far as I know, he never said anything about abortion

2) He quotes Andrew Jackson. Why? :shrug:

3) He quotes Thomas Jefferson to support his claim that ZEF's have constitutional rights from the moment of conception, an idea without any legal or logical basis

4) He claims abortions "rip a child from the mothers' womb" though it does not.

5) He claims that a ZEF has a right to live in its' mothers womb

It's just nonsense, all around

I don't care what the OP's goal was. People often do things without proper consideration.

I'm concerned with the turning of my position into a celebrity praising joke. And that's what's happened. "Oh, he's a rich celebrity so he must be smart and wise and know better than you!" Pathetic.

Celebs are people too, they have an opinion, unfortunately they sometimes are able to exploit their position to sway minds. This is done -- and I sure hope you're honest enough to agree -- by those of the liberal persuasion more often than of the conservative.

I take all of them with a grain of salt. Unfortunately too many allow their idol-worship to shut down their cognitive thought process. If this is what you're getting at, we have no disagreement.

I've never watched DD before, but I listened to the sermon, and the man is indeed a moron

1) He quotes Washington, as if Washington was pro-life. As far as I know, he never said anything about abortion

2) He quotes Andrew Jackson. Why? :shrug:

3) He quotes Thomas Jefferson to support his claim that ZEF's have constitutional rights from the moment of conception, an idea without any legal or logical basis

4) He claims abortions "rip a child from the mothers' womb" though it does not.

5) He claims that a ZEF has a right to live in its' mothers womb

It's just nonsense, all around

Well Sangha...if he walks like a duck...and talks like a duck.... ;)

What makes his opinion worth more than that of Chumley, or the Lizard Lick towing guy?

Nope, but it his. And he has a right to it. And he has a right to speak it when he is asked to speak.

Agreeing with him is not support. Its just agreeing.

Agreeing with him is not support. Its just agreeing.

You have it backwards.

Back
Top Bottom