• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dubuque City Council Considers Home Gun Sales Ban

Nice to see they are so very invested in solving the problems of violence in the country. Obviously a law attacking law abiding citizens licensed to sell weapons and with the same responsibilities and requirements any FFL business must follow...yep...that should get er done.

Nice to see they are so very invested in solving the problems of violence in the country. Obviously a law attacking law abiding citizens licensed to sell weapons and with the same responsibilities and requirements any FFL business must follow...yep...that should get er done.

The move is being led by "concerned residents". Another local station interviewed one guy and he gave all the standard emotional claptrap answers about dangerous devices, kids, it will attract crime, blah blah blah.

Well to be honest I do see the point of it being a zoning issue. If that was the real issue I would not have a problem with it. This however is not the issue. It is nothing but an emotional plea by people who are afraid of guns, that simple.

If you were concerned about zoning issues and kids and all that yada yada you wouldn't let a city regulate gun shops out of commercial districts and areas the way some cities do. Try to open a new gun store in parts of California and it just won't be possible so we must depend on the "kitchen counter" FFL.

I'm curious how this elimination of the home based FFL which is basically a "special order" business has contributed to crime in Iowa? Is that too far for the federal agents to track a guy buying guns and smuggling them into Mexico? I mean we know the Feds couldn't manage that from sales in AZ so how could they possibly in Iowa?

We have at least 3 kitchen counter FFL's within blocks me here in CA. I dare anyone to drive by and point them out to me; or is the left wing media going to publish their addresses for all to know about next?

If you were concerned about zoning issues and kids and all that yada yada you wouldn't let a city regulate gun shops out of commercial districts and areas the way some cities do. Try to open a new gun store in parts of California and it just won't be possible so we must depend on the "kitchen counter" FFL.

I'm curious how this elimination of the home based FFL which is basically a "special order" business has contributed to crime in Iowa? Is that too far for the federal agents to track a guy buying guns and smuggling them into Mexico? I mean we know the Feds couldn't manage that from sales in AZ so how could they possibly in Iowa?

We have at least 3 kitchen counter FFL's within blocks me here in CA. I dare anyone to drive by and point them out to me; or is the left wing media going to publish their addresses for all to know about next?
I don't know the answer, but my guess would be zero.

I usually meet people I dont know well at a public beach access right off A1A. Otherwise the G has no business telling me what to do with my guns.

Many gun dealers operate out of their home.

I don't see why there can't be a compromise. If people want to turn their home into a registered firearms shop, they should at least be required to have the necessary security measures in place to prevent theft. Cameras, barred windows, and strong locks that can't simply be jimmied open or kicked in. Things like that. If any of those guns get stolen, it's a serious problem.

"home into a registered firearms shop"

"should be required to have the necessary security measures"

Does anyone else see a different relation between these two statements?

I don't see why there can't be a compromise. If people want to turn their home into a registered firearms shop, they should at least be required to have the necessary security measures in place to prevent theft. Cameras, barred windows, and strong locks that can't simply be jimmied open or kicked in. Things like that. If any of those guns get stolen, it's a serious problem.

I have yet to hear of a rash of home based shops being broken into.

I have yet to hear of a rash of home based shops being broken into.

It doesn't have to be a "rash" of break ins. One gun store robbed is a serious problem. A few crooks can make off with a hundred guns in one night, putting them on the streets, and into hands they don't need to be in. All firearms distributors should be required to be locked up tighter than Ft Knox after hours.

It doesn't have to be a "rash" of break ins. One gun store robbed is a serious problem. A few crooks can make off with a hundred guns in one night, putting them on the streets, and into hands they don't need to be in. All firearms distributors should be required to be locked up tighter than Ft Knox after hours.
In my home is locked up, unless you think its ok for anyone to just walk in and take things.

In my home is locked up, unless you think its ok for anyone to just walk in and take things.

Are you intentionally missing the point? People break into homes and steal things all the time. It's surprisingly easy to get into a locked house, which is exactly why there should be very stringent laws on gun dealers concerning security measures. There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be, whether it be an actual store, or somebody's residence.

Are you intentionally missing the point? People break into homes and steal things all the time. It's surprisingly easy to get into a locked house, which is exactly why there should be very stringent laws on gun dealers concerning security measures. There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be, whether it be an actual store, or somebody's residence.
So because "houses are broken into all the time" we should force ourselves to live in a bank vault.
Gotcha.
Here is the deal, once on "rule or regulation" is put in place at the home owners expence. The next year their may be more, then the next year, then the next year.
As soon as your house isnt what some anti gun bureaucrat says it should be, the home owner is the one in hot water. Not the actual criminal.
I probably have as many guns as many "home dealers", I have a gun safe but its not just for guns and not for the world around me safety.
Its for irreplaceables that I just cant go elsewhere and get. Like my deceased mothers wedding rings.
Once something is in my home, thats all I need for it to be. Business or not.

The anti-gun idiots will never quit their march to their own doom, will they?

So because "houses are broken into all the time" we should force ourselves to live in a bank vault.
Gotcha.
Here is the deal, once on "rule or regulation" is put in place at the home owners expence. The next year their may be more, then the next year, then the next year.
As soon as your house isnt what some anti gun bureaucrat says it should be, the home owner is the one in hot water. Not the actual criminal.
I probably have as many guns as many "home dealers", I have a gun safe but its not just for guns and not for the world around me safety.
Its for irreplaceables that I just cant go elsewhere and get. Like my deceased mothers wedding rings.
Once something is in my home, thats all I need for it to be. Business or not.
The topic of discussion is houses registered as businesses, not a regular house. A registered place of business (regardless of whether it's a personal residence) is regulated by state and county laws, and required to have many features not found in regular homes depending on local laws, like handicap accessibility features, and fire detection and suppression systems, and are subject to inspection by state and county officials at any time to ensure that these regulations are being followed. Requiring additional security features to prevent theft of dangerous items is not unreasonable.

The topic of discussion is houses registered as businesses, not a regular house. A registered place of business (regardless of whether it's a personal residence) is regulated by state and county laws, and required to have many features not found in regular homes depending on local laws, like handicap accessibility features, and fire detection and suppression systems, and are subject to inspection by state and county officials at any time to ensure that these regulations are being followed. Requiring additional security features to prevent theft of dangerous items is not unreasonable.
Just because you have a FFL and sell a few guns at home, does not mean you are a "home business".
Just getting an FFL does not mean you have to get a business license.

Just because you have a FFL and sell a few guns at home, does not mean you are a "home business".
Just getting an FFL does not mean you have to get a business license.
So they are tax dodging as well?

Interesting...

That's exactly what it means.

Only if what you are selling is coming out of a business inventory. Otherwise its just personal property you are selling.
A car dealer does not have to sell a car that he owns for his personal use through his dealership.

So they are tax dodging as well?

Interesting...
How so. A FFL does not make you a business owner. I can get my car dealers license and sell all the cars I want if I have them titled in my name first.
Oh, and any penny you can screw the G out of. I am all for it.

Last edited:
Only if what you are selling is coming out of a business inventory. Otherwise its just personal property you are selling.
A car dealer does not have to sell a car that he owns for his personal use through his dealership.

FFL licensing exists specifically for the manufacture and/or sale of firearms and "destructive devices". There is no FFL classification for just selling your old guns. If you using an FFL to sell federally regulated goods without registering as a business, you are committing fraud, and you will lose your license.

FFL licensing exists specifically for the manufacture and/or sale of firearms and "destructive devices". There is no FFL classification for just selling your old guns. If you using an FFL to sell federally regulated goods without registering as a business, you are committing fraud, and you will lose your license.

Not the truth.

Back
Top Bottom