• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dual military

roguenuke

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So now that my husband is active duty, I keep getting asked if I plan to get out of the reserves, by other reservists. It's kind of annoying. Although I understand that there is always a chance that I could be called up for IA duty while he is out to sea or on IA duty himself, we understood this was possible even when he was just in the reserves. I understand that some people are more worried because we have children, but it is part of military life. And I made a commitment for 6 years reserves, with over 4 years left on that commitment, which would bring me to 16 years total military service, which is really hard to waste. And I know I have family support.

I was just wondering how others felt about dual military. Do you think that it is wrong for two parents to both be in the military? Does it matter what branch or odds of being sent out together? Planning isn't really a problem, because the military requires dual military couples with children to have a dual deployment plan.

Obviously I don't have issues with it, and I wouldn't ask if I didn't want honest opinions.

My sister was in the navy when she met her(now ex) husband. They both served a fair number of years, with children. It can be done. It is something of a challenge, but not an impossible one. Hell, if you can make it through your term in service, you can handle this. If you can last till retirement, that is too valuable to not go for.

My sister was in the navy when she met her(now ex) husband. They both served a fair number of years, with children. It can be done. It is something of a challenge, but not an impossible one. Hell, if you can make it through your term in service, you can handle this. If you can last till retirement, that is too valuable to not go for.

Oh, I don't plan to get out, and neither does my husband. We have discussed it at length, and one of us on active duty is really good for our family as far as pay and benefits go. And I got out so that I can be with the kids, especially now, while they're young. But it would be a huge waste of that more than 10 years I've already invested to get out, especially since it gives us a little extra income and I'm almost a chief. I just figured it would be an interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom