• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk with Anger Issues

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Gun ban or no?
When the investigator asked why he pointed a gun at one of the children, Burgess began crying and said he didn’t remember and that he has a drinking problem and suffers from anger issues.
The ban should be a slam dunk, IMO. Probably a good example why felon bans should be permanent.

Thank god the sober lady was well prepared.
Burgess tried opening the drivers’ door, but it was locked. He then stepped back and aimed the rifle at one of the children in the car.

The female caller feared for her child’s safety and opened the car door and fired one shot at Burgess with her pistol.

No gun ban, but if you’re trying to make a case to ban alcohol this would be a good case to use.

No gun ban, but if you’re trying to make a case to ban alcohol this would be a good case to use.
You wouldn't ban a drunk with anger issues from owning a gun? Wow!

The massive failure of trying to ban booze should be edifying to those who want to ban guns. BTW it already is illegal to be drunk and packing
People are misreading my OP. Perhaps it was my fault for posting by phone and not spelling it out. The ban I refer to is the personal ban on the drunk with anger issues. Should he be banned from owning a gun?

Careful there. They lose their shit if you tell them that there are twice as many alcohol-related deaths as there are gun deaths. It's only a "national epidemic" if someone ELSE has to make a sacrifice to solve it.

People are misreading my OP. Perhaps it was my fault for posting by phone and not spelling it out. The ban I refer to is the personal ban on the drunk with anger issues. Should he be banned from owning a gun?

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to own a gun in prison, so I vote YES!

Yes, I agree that people with drinking problems should not have access to alcohol.

Yes, I agree that people with drinking problems should not have access to alcohol.
That's nice. Unfortunately this is not the Alcohol Control Form. It's Guns. So, what are your thoughts on banning violent drunks from owning or possessing guns?

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to own a gun in prison, so I vote YES!
What about after he serves his likely short sentence, or when his is awaiting trial and out on bail?

I always suspected as much.

What about after he serves his likely short sentence, or when his is awaiting trial and out on bail?

I'm pretty sure that most people out on bail for gun-related offenses get their guns collected. But I don't think he should be allowed out on bail.

And after he gets out, he will be a convicted felon, and prohibited from possessing a firearm.

That's nice. Unfortunately this is not the Alcohol Control Form. It's Guns. So, what are your thoughts on banning violent drunks from owning or possessing guns?
As TD stated, carrying a firearm while intoxicated is illegal which is good. Banning overall gun ownership because of alcohol/drugs would virtually mean no one has guns; no bueno. If I consume, I don't carry. I also don't drive.

As TD stated, carrying a firearm while intoxicated is illegal which is good. Banning overall gun ownership because of alcohol/drugs would virtually mean no one has guns; no bueno. If I consume, I don't carry. I also don't drive.
No one said the bold but you.

...after he gets out, he will be a convicted felon, and prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Which is a good thing. Right?

Which is a good thing. Right?

In theory, for this guy, yes. But I don't agree with all the details of our current ban on felons possessing firearms (or the reality of how long certain felons spend in prison, for that matter).

We need to see how he obtained his firearm, the last time I purchased one and did the background check there was a question about issues with drugs and depressants (alcohol is one). If he lied on the form then prosecute him for that crime.

No one said the bold but you.
Which is what you're insinuating. A violent drunk/impaired person could be just about anyone on any given day; not just someone with a known issue. Are you against a total gun ban? Maybe my memory is fuzzy and I'm confusing you with someone who thinks that guns are evil.

..Are you against a total gun ban? Maybe my memory is fuzzy and I'm confusing you with someone who thinks that guns are evil.
It wasn't mentioned in this thread.

A violent drunk could be just about anyone?
Yes. I’ve seen perfectly normal individuals react totally out of the norm when a few drinks flow in them. I know for me personally Jager effects me negatively in a way whiskey or beer doesn’t so I stay away from it.

A violent drunk could be just about anyone?
Absolutely. I've known friends who've partied too hard and become very aggressive. I've also known people who become much more docile. None have had a dependence problem. Guess it depends on the person and the substance.

We need to see how he obtained his firearm, the last time I purchased one and did the background check there was a question about issues with drugs and depressants (alcohol is one). If he lied on the form then prosecute him for that crime.

The form says: "are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

Good luck winning an argument that this sentence applies to alcohol, or proving that this guy was "addicted to" it.

Back
Top Bottom