• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk with Anger Issues

<> A violent drunk/impaired person could be just about anyone on any given day; <>

Um, no, a violent drunk could not be "just about" anyone. It could only be a person who tends to get drunk and tends to get violent when drunk. There are a whole lot of people who don't tend to get drunk and/or don't tend to get violent if they happen to get drunk.

This thread is so ignorant, maybe I should throw this out there:

Tolerance is an ability to hide the affects of alcohol, not an ability to avoid them. Everyone in the world has the same reactions to alcohol at the exact same blood alcohol percentage. We know precisely when a person begins to slur, when they begin to stagger and when they lose cognitive ability. The numbers are the same for every experiment and every subject in the history of mankind.

And, fwiw, it doesn't ****ing matter what brand.

So, for the love of God, please don't believe tolerance is immunity because that's terribly ****ing stupid.

And yet there are plenty of studies that show alcohol does not affect everyone the same.

Makes what even?
In regards to the first peoples treatment in America, you said "They have their own governments and economies, to a degree, but they actually qualify for more benefits that other U.S. citizens, like free college tuition to state colleges." I don't think that's any equivalency at all.

In regards to the first peoples treatment in America, you said "They have their own governments and economies, to a degree, but they actually qualify for more benefits that other U.S. citizens, like free college tuition to state colleges." I don't think that's any equivalency at all.

The treatment of the first people in American in what regard? What specifically are you referencing?

once while drunk I tried to drive a nail but hit my thumb and yelled, Oh Shyte !!!!!! Would that be considered drunk with anger issues? ...... maybe never be allowed to own a hammer ever again.......

But in this case, the point is moot... he will be convicted of a violent felony and never be allowed to own a gun again.

Dynamics of the past are not immutable. When we had vast tracks of land that we just wanted to throw bodies at and let them live and die on their own merits we could bring in as many as we wanted. That's not the same today.

IllegImmig_10-14-10_430pm.pdf (usccr.gov)

Nope. Today countries with restricted immigration find that to be a big economic lead weight.

Countries with more liberal immigration policies have been the most economically competitive:

This may be one of the reasons why cities/states with more immigrants (the so-called "Democrat-run s**t_holes") are responsible for 85% of the entire GDP of the US, while Trump-voting areas remain economically and culturally backward and stagnant.

white privilege doesn't exist much anymore when it comes to admissions to elite schools or public sector jobs

If you look at who is still able to most afford the most elite private college-prep schools, private SAT and other tutoring, joining the fencing or tennis team with private lessons, connections, etc.... it really does.

Dynamics of the past are not immutable. When we had vast tracks of land that we just wanted to throw bodies at and let them live and die on their own merits we could bring in as many as we wanted. That's not the same today.

IllegImmig_10-14-10_430pm.pdf (usccr.gov)

No, there's always been a strain of strong anti-immigrant sentiment in this country- this worry that they were going to corrupt and destroy the culture. This dates back to even before this country became an independent country.

"Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion...

Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."
-Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father, on German immigration to Pennsylvania, 1750s

I do not like the late Reappearance of the Jesuits. They have a General, now in Russia, in correspondence with the Jesuits in the U.S. who are more numerous than every body knows. Shall We not have Swarms of them here. In as many shapes and disguises as ever a King of Gypsies, Bamfield More Carew himself, assumed? In the shape of Printers, Editors, Writers School masters etc. If ever any Congregation of Men could merit, eternal Perdition on Earth and in Hell, it is this Company of Loiola [Ignatius Loyola -- Ed.]. Our System however of Religious Liberty must afford them an Assylum. But if they do not put the Purity of our Elections to a severe Tryal, it will be a Wonder."
-John Adams

"We should build a wall of brass around the country."
- John Jay, first chief justice of Supreme always Court, regarding “Catholic alien invaders,” 1750s

"What means the paying of the passage and emptying out upon our shores such floods of pauper emigrants — the contents of the poor house and the sweepings of the streets? — multiplying tumults and violence, filling our prisons, and crowding our poor-houses, and quadrupling our taxation, and sending annually accumulating thousands to the poll to lay their inexperienced hand upon the helm of our power?"
- Lyman Beecher, Leader of the Second Great Awakening, on English immigrants, 1834

(cont'd next post)

(Cont'd from previous post)

"The enormous influx of alien foreigners will in the end prove ruinous to American workingmen, by REDUCING THE WAGES OF LABOR to a standard that will drive them from the farms and workshops altogether."
- Opinion article in the Philadelphia Sun, 1854

"Standing behind them are Christian employers of this land, who would rather import heathen willing to work for barely enough to sustain life than retain a brother Christian at a wage sufficient to live as becomes a Christian. We do not want Opium or the Chinese who grow it."
- Terence Powderly, Irish-American labor leader, 1892

"We demand the change of the national naturalization laws by the repeal of the act authorizing the naturalization of minors…We demand for the protection of our citizen laborers, the prohibition of the importation of pauper labor, and the restriction of immigration…We protest against the gross negligence and laxity with which the Judiciary of our land administer the present naturalization laws, and against the practice of naturalizing aliens."
- statement of principles of the American Protective Association, 1894

Not a day passes but families are ruthlessly turned out to make room for foreign invaders. The rates are burdened with the education of thousands of foreign children.
- William Evans Gordon, British nativist, 1905

The people of this country are too tolerant. There’s no other country in the world where they’d allow it... After all we built up this country and then we allow a lot of foreigners, the scum of Europe, the offscourings of Polish ghettos to come and run it for us.
– John Dos Passos, early 20th century novelist, on U.S. immigration policy

They are coming in such numbers and we are unable adequately to take care of them…It simply amounts to unrestricted and indiscriminate dumping into this country of people of every character and description…If there were in existence a ship that could hold three million human beings, then three million Jews of Poland would board to escape to America.
-Congressional hearing, 1920

Now, what do we find in all our large cities? Entire sections containing a population incapable of understanding our institutions, with no comprehension of our national ideals, and for the most part incapable of speaking the English language. Foreign language information service gives evidence that many southern Europeans resent as an unjust discrimination the quota laws and represent America as showing race hatred and unmindful of its mission to the world. The reverse is true. America’s first duty is to those already within her own shores.
- Representative Grant Hudson, 1924

Gun ban or no?

The ban should be a slam dunk, IMO. Probably a good example why felon bans should be permanent.

Thank god the sober lady was well prepared.

If (when?) convicted he would be prohibited from having a gun.

Court documents say 33-year-old Steven Burgess has been charged with two counts of first-degree assault, armed criminal action, and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

If you look at who is still able to most afford the most elite private college-prep schools, private SAT and other tutoring, joining the fencing or tennis team with private lessons, connections, etc.... it really does.
we are talking about the scores to get into those schools. but you make a sound point that you might not intended to. I listened to a far left Yale Law/Economics professor several years ago who explained that the biggest advantage wealthy children have doesn't come from being bequeathed lots of money but rather the amount of resources that are expended upon them during their formative years. He suggested that things like the death tax has almost no value in creating a more level society. Rather, he suggested, elite institutions-be it prep schools such as Phillips Exeter or Andover academies, or colleges such as Amherst, Yale, or Johns Hopkins, take far more students into their classes. This, he said, would do more to help society inequality than anything else and it really wouldn't harm anyone. And having gone to a top prep school and top universities, I really don't think I would have suffered any real diminishment in my education if there had been 40 kids in my average HS class rather than 20 or 70 in my average college class rather than 35

we are talking about the scores to get into those schools. but you make a sound point that you might not intended to. I listened to a far left Yale Law/Economics professor several years ago who explained that the biggest advantage wealthy children have doesn't come from being bequeathed lots of money but rather the amount of resources that are expended upon them during their formative years. He suggested that things like the death tax has almost no value in creating a more level society. Rather, he suggested, elite institutions-be it prep schools such as Phillips Exeter or Andover academies, or colleges such as Amherst, Yale, or Johns Hopkins, take far more students into their classes. This, he said, would do more to help society inequality than anything else and it really wouldn't harm anyone. And having gone to a top prep school and top universities, I really don't think I would have suffered any real diminishment in my education if there had been 40 kids in my average HS class rather than 20 or 70 in my average college class rather than 35
The biggest advantage people from successful families have is someone to teach them how to succeed, usually with focused lessons very early in life. Let's face it, guys like you and I have been on so-called career paths from the moment we were born.

Hell, I could read long before kindergarten, and I already knew how to add and subtract while my peers still struggled to count past ten. By Jr High, I was on a direct path to be an engineer, already taking advanced math and science classes. This kind of thing is probably why Asian kids accel. They are raised to accel. Like them, we were expected to go to college and be at the top of our class all along the way. Grad school, too, was a given. It was almost a minimum expectation.

Um, no, a violent drunk could not be "just about" anyone. It could only be a person who tends to get drunk and tends to get violent when drunk. There are a whole lot of people who don't tend to get drunk and/or don't tend to get violent if they happen to get drunk.
Absolutely, most people who do get drunk do just that. End of story. There are some though who react differently and sometimes violent/aggressive behavior makes an appearance. That goes for any substance. Certainly some are foreseen but others not so. Our experiences vary I suppose.

Absolutely, most people who do get drunk do just that. End of story. There are some though who react differently and sometimes violent/aggressive behavior makes an appearance. That goes for any substance. Certainly some are foreseen but others not so. Our experiences vary I suppose.
For the most part, the biggest risk with drinking is driving. It seems to have taken forever to convince people not to drink and drive, but yet, some still do not get it, which blows my mind in this day and age of RideShare.

"said he didn’t remember and that he has a drinking problem and suffers from anger issues "

lol

Aren't they responsible for their life on the reservation?
I believe they are. Would you trust the government that already broke 500 treaties with you? Thanks for making my point.

I believe they are. Would you trust the government that already broke 500 treaties with you? Thanks for making my point.

If your point is to make weird and disjointed posts that don't make much sense then you've done it.

If your point is to make weird and disjointed posts that don't make much sense then you've done it.
Sorry for the US history references. You should check it out, it's interesting.

That's nice. Unfortunately this is not the Alcohol Control Form. It's Guns. So, what are your thoughts on banning violent drunks from owning or possessing guns?
So we cannot discuss any solutions that discuss behavior modification, deterrence, mental illness, criminal records, background checks for prior bad acts, age, etc?

We can only discuss how we can modify guns and/or their possession? Interesting...what information do we base those modifications on?

So we cannot discuss any solutions that discuss behavior modification, deterrence, mental illness, criminal records, background checks for prior bad acts, age, etc?

We can only discuss how we can modify guns and/or their possession? Interesting...what information do we base those modifications on?
Pretty much. After all, typical solutions offered by gun advocates is. "Lock 'criminals' up and throw away the key. Just let me have my guns."

Pretty much. After all, typical solutions offered by gun advocates is. "Lock 'criminals' up and throw away the key. Just let me have my guns."
why should those who never cause any problems with their firearms be hassled because of what criminals do? Most of the gun control advocates push gun control so they can pretend they are doing something about crime without actually harming criminals. That was the foundation of the gun control movement in the 60s.

Back
Top Bottom