• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk with Anger Issues

Absolutely. I've known friends who've partied too hard and become very aggressive. I've also known people who become much more docile. None have had a dependence problem. Guess it depends on the person and the substance.

Yes. I’ve seen perfectly normal individuals react totally out of the norm when a few drinks flow in them. I know for me personally Jager effects me negatively in a way whiskey or beer doesn’t so I stay away from it.

I never saw anyone who didn't already have issues become violent after drinking.

Should the guy identified in the article in the OP be banned from owning guns?

No. If he's not been in trouble with the law up until this point, what reason would you use?

After he broke the law yes, prior to breaking the law no
He definitely broke the law. My understanding, too, of gun laws is that we do ban based on certain disabilities. Drug addicts, for example, are banned from owning a gun. I am not sure if alcoholics fit in that same category.

The form says: "are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

Good luck winning an argument that this sentence applies to alcohol, or proving that this guy was "addicted to" it.
We learned in the 80’s in DARE that alcohol is a depressant. Did no one every teach that to you in a basic Health class? I simple warrant for spending records would be able to make a strong case on his addiction either way

We learned in the 80’s in DARE that alcohol is a depressant. Did no one every teach that to you in a basic Health class? I simple warrant for spending records would be able to make a strong case on his addiction either way
To be fair, caffeine is a stimulant that many of us are addicted to but I doubt the intent of that clause was to ban coffee junkies from owning firearms. Nonetheless, a chronic drunk is likely an illegal gun owner.

Get back to me when you've found a single case where someone was prosecuted for lying on the form because they were addicted to alcohol.

To be fair, caffeine is a stimulant that many of us are addicted to but I doubt the intent of that clause was to ban coffee junkies from owning firearms. Nonetheless, a chronic drunk is likely an illegal gun owner.
I understand your sentiment but a drunk owning a firearm is okay just the same as owning a vehicle is. Now possessing said firearm or driving his vehicle while drunk is where the law breaking and consequences follow.

I understand your sentiment but a drunk owning a firearm is okay just the same as owning a vehicle is. Now possessing said firearm or driving his vehicle while drunk is where the law breaking and consequences follow.
I can agree to that.

Gun ban or no?

The ban should be a slam dunk, IMO. Probably a good example why felon bans should be permanent.

Thank god the sober lady was well prepared.

Well it's a good thing she had that 9mm and wasn't afraid to use it. And yes there are very secure inside the purse holsters.

Well it's a good thing she had that 9mm and wasn't afraid to use it. And yes there are very secure inside the purse holsters.
Hero of the story, IMO. I think that whole family would be dead if she had not shot that asshole.

People are misreading my OP. Perhaps it was my fault for posting by phone and not spelling it out. The ban I refer to is the personal ban on the drunk with anger issues. Should he be banned from owning a gun?
Breathalyzer test before what?

Gun ban or no?

The ban should be a slam dunk, IMO. Probably a good example why felon bans should be permanent.

I don't support the permanent revocation of rights from people. I also don't support felony status, which is used to create a permanent underclass citizen and I believe increases recidivism rates.

This person should go to jail and maybe lose gun rights for a certain period of time.

I don't support the permanent revocation of rights from people. I also don't support felony status, which is used to create a permanent underclass citizen and I believe increases recidivism rates.

This person should go to jail and maybe lose gun rights for a certain period of time.
There is something to be said for second chances.

There is something to be said for second chances.

And also these types of policies do tend to effect minorities disproportionately.

Let me guess, you like beer?
I prefer beer to hard booze. But not a fan of yellow water light beer with no taste. Don't drink anything with the goal of getting drunk, those days way behind me. Two maybe three is my limit these days.

Disproportionate poverty rates which trends towards higher crime rates.
what is then being done to elevate the economic well being of that strata of the American population?

I prefer beer to hard booze. But not a fan of yellow water light beer with no taste. Don't drink anything with the goal of getting drunk, those days way behind me. Two maybe three is my limit these days.
Got three bottles of Rolling Rock left from a 12 pack my son got about five months ago for cooking Brats in.

what is then being done to elevate the economic well being of that strata of the American population?
That's the problem, nothing except hand out more food stamps and stimulus checks to show how easy it is to depend on the govt.

Got three bottles of Rolling Rock left from a 12 pack my son got about five months ago for cooking Brats in.
That’s the best use for them. Ive been hooked on El Guapo as my go to when nothing else strikes my fancy.

Back
Top Bottom