• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk driver who tested 9 times the legal limit, will spend 13 months in prison

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
An Oregon man whose blood-alcohol level tested at 0.778 when he was brought to the hospital after crashing his SUV in February will spend 13 months in prison. The Smoking Gun reports that Nathan Danzuka, who was driving on a suspended license when his attempt to outrun police was thwarted by a concrete barrier, also had his driving privileges revoked permanently.

Nine times the legal limit?
Does this guy even have a liver?

Has to be an error with the test, .40 is considered a lethal amount. To even drink enough to get that drunk would be improbable

It will take 13 months to sober up

An Oregon man whose blood-alcohol level tested at 0.778 when he was brought to the hospital after crashing his SUV in February will spend 13 months in prison. The Smoking Gun reports that Nathan Danzuka, who was driving on a suspended license when his attempt to outrun police was thwarted by a concrete barrier, also had his driving privileges revoked permanently.

Nine times the legal limit?
Does this guy even have a liver?

Getting a 13 month prison sentence doesn’t mean that all of will be served locked up. I know a guy who got an 8 year sentence for multiple DUIs and he served less than 3 years before being paroled.

Has to be an error with the test, .40 is considered a lethal amount. To even drink enough to get that drunk would be improbable
Have to agree. Even if by some chance he was even close to 9X the legal limit, he would be comatose, not out driving around.

Have to agree. Even if by some chance he was even close to 9X the legal limit, he would be comatose, not out driving around.
What would kill most people, barely gives some a buzz. I've had the displeasure of knowing a few alcoholics and was always amazed by the amount of alcohol they could consume and still speak.

Maybe, but it was a blood test, and alcoholics do develop a tolerance for alcohol, same way drug addicts develop tolerance for opiates/oxy etc. and can take doses daily that would kill someone not used to taking the drug.

This is extreme but someone's got to be on those distribution tails.

I wanna see the numbers on what happens at what BAC. I don't think .77 is survivable. I think one is long dead at that point. I think to get there it must be injected post death.

Maybe, but it was a blood test, and alcoholics do develop a tolerance for alcohol, same way drug addicts develop tolerance for opiates/oxy etc. and can take doses daily that would kill someone not used to taking the drug.

This is extreme but someone's got to be on those distribution tails.
And opioid addicts OD, too.

Look, I get it, I used to own a bar and I know some people have a high tolerance. However, .8% is probably not survivalble, regardless one's tolerance.

Have to wonder how they're conducting those tests out in Oregon.

Look, I get it, I used to own a bar and I know some people have a high tolerance. However, .8% is probably not survivalble, regardless one's tolerance.

There is no physical tolerance to alcohol. The same things happen to every person at the same BAC. Alcohol tolerance is social. It's being able to hide the effects of alcohol.

Last edited:
There is no physical tolerance to alcohol. The same things happen to every person at the same BAC. Alcohol tolerance is social. It's being able to hide the effects of alcohol.

Not so.

Chronic heavy drinkers display functional tolerance when they show few obvious signs of intoxication even at high blood alcohol concentrations (BAC's), which in others would be incapacitating or even fatal.

Last edited:
"Few obvious signs"

As I noted, alcohol tolerance is social, not physical.

That is a fact.

Death from alcohol comsumption is a physical, not social, result. As noted (in the link), heavy drinkers are able to tolerate a higher BAC which could be fatal to those lacking that physical tolerance.

The link also notes:

…scientists distinguish between several types of tolerance that are produced by different mechanisms.

Death from alcohol comsumption is a physical, not social, result. As noted (in the link), heavy drinkers are able to tolerate a higher BAC which could be fatal to those lacking that physical tolerance.

The link also notes:

There is no physical tolerance to alcohol. Only "functional tolerance". Alcoholics can appear normal at potentially fatal doses of alcohol.

I wanna see the numbers on what happens at what BAC. I don't think .77 is survivable. I think one is long dead at that point. I think to get there it must be injected post death.
There supposedly is a Polish guy who measured 1.5%

There are a bunch at around 1% or slightly over.

We had a good friend who was a stoned drunk. He passed ten or more years ago. W=He was pulled over ont imo on the way home and the officer asked Billy what he was doing driving, Billy didn’t miss a beat, “Officer, in my condition, I certainly can’t walk!”

No doctor here, but I have witnessed that different people react to alcohol in different ways. Rookies and long time drinkers react in different ways.

There is no physical tolerance to alcohol. Only "functional tolerance". Alcoholics can appear normal at potentially fatal doses of alcohol.

Nonsense, which is the cause of the physical reaction to withdrawal in heavy drinkers (aka alcoholics).

If you drink alcohol heavily for weeks, months, or years, you may have both mental and physical problems when you stop or seriously cut back on how much you drink. This is called alcohol withdrawal. Symptoms can range from mild to serious.

There are many reports of people over 1% BAC not dying. It would kill most people probably, but obviously there are exceptions.

Nonsense, which is the cause of the physical reaction to withdrawal in heavy drinkers (aka alcoholics).

We all know alcohol causes withdrawal symptoms. That does not mean physical tolerance exists. It doesn't and that's why you can't find anything claiming so. Alcohol has specific effects at specific BAC. Alcoholics can hide those effects and can appear normal at potentially fatal doses.

Pretending one is "not so affected by alcohol" is an excuse. It's apology for something. It's what a person wants to believe. It's false.

We all know alcohol causes withdrawal symptoms. That does not mean physical tolerance exists. It doesn't and that's why you can't find anything claiming so. Alcohol has specific effects at specific BAC. Alcoholics can hide those effects and can appear normal at potentially fatal doses.

Pretending one is "not so affected by alcohol" is an excuse. It's apology for something. It's what a person wants to believe. It's false.
What does “metabolic” mean?

Look, people, a million radio shows have had the "I have a high tolerance" guy on to drink and be tested and they all proved he has the same effects as everyone else at the same BAC. They can't hide it from testing.

This should be popular knowledge.

What does “metabolic” mean?

The regulation of BAC (disposing of it in sleep); however, the effects at a given BAC remain the same.

It would appear that there are several cases where people have survived BAC of 1.3 and higher, though this seems to be rare and in some cases requires emergency medical intervention; still...that is levels beyond Ozzy Osbourne chemical tolerance.

• In 1982, a 24-year-old woman was admitted to the UCLA emergency room with a serum alcohol content of 1.51%, corresponding to a BAC of 1.33%. She was alert and oriented to person and place.[54] Serum alcohol concentration is not equal to nor calculated in the same way as blood alcohol content.[55]
  • In 1984, a 30-year-old man survived a blood alcohol concentration of 1.5% after vigorous medical intervention that included dialysis and intravenous therapy with fructose.[56]
  • In 1995, a man from Wrocław, Poland, caused a car accident near his hometown. He had a blood alcohol content of 1.48% ; he was tested five times, with each test returning the same reading. He died a few days later of injuries from the accident.[57]
  • In South Africa, a man driving a Mercedes-Benz Vito light van containing 15 sheep allegedly stolen from nearby farms was arrested on December 22, 2010, near Queenstown in Eastern Cape. His blood had an alcohol content of 1.6%. Also in the vehicle were five boys and a woman, who were also arrested.[59]
  • On 26 July 2013 a 40-year-old man from Alfredówka, Poland, was found by Municipal Police Patrol from Nowa Dęba lying in the ditch along the road in Tarnowska Wola. At the hospital, it was recorded that the man had a blood alcohol content of 1.374%. The man survived.[60][61]

Everyone starts ****ing up at .08.

There is no "I'm good to .1, unlike most people!"

That's bs.

The regulation of BAC (disposing of it in sleep); however, the effects at a given BAC remain the same.
Where did the phrase “drink him under the table” come from?

Back
Top Bottom