• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk driver who tested 9 times the legal limit, will spend 13 months in prison

What would kill most people, barely gives some a buzz. I've had the displeasure of knowing a few alcoholics and was always amazed by the amount of alcohol they could consume and still speak.
Tolerance and BAC aren’t the same. Take two people at similar sizes and they drink 20 beers one is fine to drive and the other is passed out. They both still have the same BAC and .40 is still considered a lethal dose. So yes an alcoholic might still be lucid by the time they get to .4 but if they keep drinking serious permanent damage will occur

Everyone starts ****ing up at .08.

There is no "I'm good to .1, unlike most people!"

That's bs.
.08 is an arbitrary number, I would say it’s a lot closer to .15 when serious impairment happens

There is no physical tolerance to alcohol. The same things happen to every person at the same BAC. Alcohol tolerance is social. It's being able to hide the effects of alcohol.
I don't think that's true. I know this from personal experience, and the research supports that tolerance is a real thing.

Functional Tolerance

Humans and animals develop tolerance when their brain functions adapt to compensate for the disruption caused by alcohol in both their behavior and their bodily functions. This adaptation is called functional tolerance (2). Chronic heavy drinkers display functional tolerance when they show few obvious signs of intoxication even at high blood alcohol concentrations (BAC's), which in others would be incapacitating or even fatal (3). Because the drinker does not experience significant behavioral impairment as a result of drinking, tolerance may facilitate the consumption of increasing amounts of alcohol. This can result in physical dependence and alcohol-related organ damage.

It's a sporting event, not a chemical event.
Where do you draw your expertise on this topic from?
All I have seen is opinion. I have real world experience…….

"Functional tolerance"... "show few obvious signs"

As I noted, alcohol tolerance is social, not physical. It's hiding the effects. It's not immunity to effects or a delaying of effects.

That is a fact. An alcoholic can appear normal at potentially fatal does of alcohol.
That is what tolerance means.... :rolleyes:

No one suggests alcoholics are "immune" from the effects of alcohol.

But they have the same effects at the same BAC. They hide those effects.
People can get used to many things, tolerance builds up with exposure.

Alcohol is very similar to pain medications, regarding tolerance.

They're not hiding death.

Death occurs at various exact points in various individuals according to a million factors. An alcoholic can appear normal despite a potentially fatal dose of alcohol. Not because they are less affected. Because they can hide it.

People can get used to many things, tolerance builds up with exposure.

Alcohol is very similar to pain medications, regarding tolerance.

No. Alcohol is not like pain meds. There is no physical tolerance.

Death occurs at various exact points in various individuals according to a million factors. An alcoholic can appear normal despite a potentially fatal dose of alcohol.
I wanna see the numbers on what happens at what BAC. I don't think .77 is survivable. I think one is long dead at that point. I think to get there it must be injected post death.
This is your message people have a problem with, not the apparent intoxication of people with a tolerance and not, at lower levels.

This is your message people have a problem with, not the apparent intoxication of people with a tolerance and not, at lower levels.

Everyone suffers the same effects from alcohol at the same BAC. Alcoholics hide it. They're not immune. They hide it.

They are functionally tolerant. Not physically tolerant.

Everyone suffers the same effects from alcohol at the same BAC. Alcoholics hide it.
They're not hiding not being dead at .77+.

They're not hiding not being dead at .77+.

A million factors determine the exact point of death for an individual. Functional tolerance is not one of those factors.

Functional tolerance can lead to drinking enough to die, but functional tolerance does not change the point at which an individual will die from BAC.

Can someone put this in terms I can understand, please?

What's the limit in let's say pints of mid-strength (say 4%) lager?
How many pints would this guy have had to drink to be that wasted as I'm interested to see how he compares to me in my 20's.
I was quite the drinker back then but luckily I'm also lazy and thus have never learned to drive as work has always been in town and thus walkable.

Now I'm old (45) and I really can't be bothered with hangovers so I've not been properly drunk in over 5 years.
The most I have now is 5 or 6 pints when out for a day playing pool.

Or you could get out in the real world………..

In America, our belief that functional tolerance changes the points at which alcohol has effect is born of apology for drunk driving.

I believe medical science. Everyone has the same effects at the same BACs. Testing proves that. Alcoholics can't hide the effects from testing. It's functional tolerance, not physical tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom