• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drunk Cop: Kills Man... Doesnt get Charged with Anything... Still Working

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Same damn thing happened in Chicago a few weeks ago!!!!! That cop killed 2 kids, was on tape taking FIVE SHOTS right before leaving the bar..... hit the kids... got arrested and his fellow co-workers waited 5 hours to take an official reading which JUST happens to be .079 :doh :roll:.
Why is it, that there are some cops that falsely arrest 1000s of innocent people on DUIs to get merit and money, but when THEY kill someone drunk driving, nothing happens... at all. Can someone answer me that!?!?? The prosecution doesnt go after them.... they keep their job. While they are off, they are on PAID leave.

NEWARK (WABC) -- His own police department says this detective was drunk and speeding when he killed a man, so why is he still working and still a detective?
A victim's family wants to know if a Newark, New Jersey detective received special treatment.
For more than a week, we have been trying to set up an interview with Newark's Police Director concerning our investigation. We've been ignored.
We caught up with Newark detective Mark Hulse as he headed into work at this precinct on a recent morning.
Back to work after six-month suspension. Back to work even though his own police department found him guilty of being drunk and speeding when, off-duty, he struck and killed a man named John Marques on this Newark street in July of 2008. The impact was so violent, some of Marques' limbs were severed.
An internal police department memo that we obtained put Hulse's speed at 73 miles an hour in a 25 mile an hour zone and his blood alcohol content at .12. The legal limit is .08
So you're probably wondering, how did someone who is supposed to uphold the law and is found to have broken it by his own department, still on the job? And why wasn't Hulse criminally charged?
WALLACE: "Do you think they didn't charge him because he was a cop?"
LUCIA PIRES: "Yeah. Yeah. I think that. What other conclusion could I come to?"
Pires, the victim's ex-wife, claims she and the couple's two teenage children were largely kept in the dark about the criminal investigation into the accident by the Essex County Prosecutor.
"There was no communication with the family," she said.
The family says it was stunned to learn that months after the accident, a grand jury had failed to indict Officer Hulse.
"There's no doubt in my mind that had it been anyone else they would currently be in jail for manslaughter. There is no doubt in my mind," Pires said. "Anyone else would have been charged given those circumstances, but because he was a cop I basically think he got away with it."

CONTINUED: Drunk cop kills a husband and father, isn't charged with anything. Police Department admits cop was drunkand speeding, cop is still on active duty > New World Order Report

If this was standard Joe Blow, the guy would be ****ed. We take our punishments to the extreme (typically, I guess it's different if you're a cop) with DUI, and DUI resulting in death...people get 30+ years for that. To bad standard Joe Blow isn't part of a protected class.

If this was standard Joe Blow, the guy would be ****ed. We take our punishments to the extreme (typically, I guess it's different if you're a cop) with DUI, and DUI resulting in death...people get 30+ years for that. To bad standard Joe Blow isn't part of a protected class.

oh man.... you would NEVER drive again. 30 years in prison easily..... plus the guy would never see the light of day after being arrested.
Also I just love how each 500-700 annual National deaths by TRUE drunk drivers are pasted all over the news... but the 100,000 deaths from medical mistakes ( Medical Errors Cause over 100,000 Deaths Each Year ) you NEVER hear of.

The best part about of being a cop is the different set of laws you get to live by.

I would be curious as to what the evidence was. You know, that little thing called evidence that kept a grand jury (not a bunch of cops) from indicting this cop on these charges.

I will admit though, sounds like the initial responding patrol officers did a really ****ty job of investigating the incident. Why take a BAC reading 5 hours later? I'd like to hear an explanation as to why it took so long.

I would be curious as to what the evidence was. You know, that little thing called evidence that kept a grand jury (not a bunch of cops) from indicting this cop on these charges.

Well evidence is collected and reported by the police. So it's not hard to protect your own in these cases.

oh man.... you would NEVER drive again. 30 years in prison easily..... plus the guy would never see the light of day after being arrested.
Also I just love how each 500-700 annual National deaths by TRUE drunk drivers are pasted all over the news... but the 100,000 deaths from medical mistakes ( Medical Errors Cause over 100,000 Deaths Each Year ) you NEVER hear of.

The best part about of being a cop is the different set of laws you get to live by.

Um.... say Noodle... this other Noodle, that seems to follow you around from thread to thread... y'all don't know each other, do you?

I will admit though, sounds like the initial responding patrol officers did a really ****ty job of investigating the incident. Why take a BAC reading 5 hours later? I'd like to hear an explanation as to why it took so long.

I fear the answer to that one is quite obvious.

I fear the answer to that one is quite obvious.

Not necessarily.
It depends on what types of delays the officer charged created in his whole ordeal.
Ive dealt with some offenders who have tried to pull every trick in the book in order to delay the taking of a chemical analysis sample on many occasions. Being an officer of the law himself, he may have great knowledge to the "chess match" that is DWI investigations. Ive had numerous cases where individuals have delayed the taking of chemical analysis by as many as 3 - 4 hours. It may not have been a situation in which the investigating officer COULD do much about it.

I wont get into any specifics myself, I dont feel like giving anyone on here any ideas should they find themselves in a similar situation.

So, to answer your retort, no the answer is not that obvious. There is however a good likelihood that it was just a police officer trying to "help a brother out" but I cant judge until I know more.

Back
Top Bottom