• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drug scams

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC NEWS of 11 April 2006:

”Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned. ‘Disease-mongering’ promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost their drug sales, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.”

In France it is against the law to promote drugs or medications on TV, radio, in magazines, newspapers or in any other way. Only doctors can recommend medications to their patients.

ricksfolly

”Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned. ‘Disease-mongering’ promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost their drug sales, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.”

In France it is against the law to promote drugs or medications on TV, radio, in magazines, newspapers or in any other way. Only doctors can recommend medications to their patients.

ricksfolly

I'm not a fan of medicating society. I won't go twice to a doctor whose first solution to any problem is a pill. I was put on Zoloft at the age of 16, which caused extremely negative side effects, the least of which being a completely f*cked perception of reality and the most severe of which being a painful battle with anorexia. The doctor's suggestion was to put me on a drug for schizophrenia in addition to the Zoloft because he felt I "couldn't deal" without the anti-depressants. Thankfully, a therapist felt differently.

The responsibility, though, is with the patient. They need to inform themselves and decide was is best. If they're easily influenced and come to decide they have this ailment or that ailment then let them medicate themselves for it.

tessaesque;1059476219 The responsibility said:
Are you kidding!!! Drugs and medicine are too many, and too complicated for the average working person to keep up with. I've yet to read on any prescription bottle where the product is guaranteed to work as advertised, and if the drug companies, with all those scientists aren't sure, how can non-scientists like you and I be sure?

ricksfolly

Yup. The general public should be able to trust anyone in a specific industry to be somewhat of an "expert" in their field. If the doc tells me to take a pill, I should be fairly confident that he is telling me that for my best interest and not his. If a lawyer tells me that I should/shouldn't do this or that, then I should be fairly confident that he is giving me good advice, and not just trying to "take my money". The general public should be expected to make rational choices, but we should also expect that the professionals are offering us good advice. If our industry professionals are nothing more than snake oil salesmen trying to get my money regardless if I recieve the desired results from their products, then we may be better off without whatever it is they are trying to sell.

If we al have to become a doctor or a pharmists to make good health care decisions, they why do we need doctors and pharmists?

One of the main reasons that I have not been more successful in my business endevors is because I NEVER try to get a customer to spend more money than is neccessary for the purpose that they are hiring me for. If they need a temporary sign, I sell them a temporary sign subtrait and not a more expensive (and profitable) material. If they only use 1,000 envelopes a year, I don't try to get them to buy 10,000 at a time. I also don't promise them that the tshirts we sell will make them any smarter, or richer, or healthier or better looking. I have had three sales jobs in my life, I quit all three of them within weeks. Not that I wasn't capable of taking peoples money, it was that I was having a hard time sleeping due to my guilty concience - from pressuring people into buying over priced stuff that they didn't want or need.

Last edited:
Every medication I've ever been given has been easily accessibly via a google search. When searched, each medication has returned many results, all of which provide an explanation of what is in the pill, how it works, how it was tested, and the side effects. I'm not going to blindly believe anybody, regardless of their credentials. I take responsibility for the decisions I make, medically, professionally, or otherwise. I try to inform myself as best I can. If I elect to take a medication recommended to me and experience a negative side effect then it is my own responsibility to resolve that issue. I can't and see no reason to blame the doctor because I made a decision.

ricksfolly

Good for Great Britain. I hate those commercials. "Ask your doctor if he thinks Urispaz is for you."

Last edited:
Are you kidding!!! Drugs and medicine are too many, and too complicated for the average working person to keep up with. I've yet to read on any prescription bottle where the product is guaranteed to work as advertised, and if the drug companies, with all those scientists aren't sure, how can non-scientists like you and I be sure?

ricksfolly

Do your own research, or else don't buy the drug. It's a pretty damn good idea to know what exactly it is you're putting in your system and what side effects it might have.

Do your own research, or else don't buy the drug. It's a pretty damn good idea to know what exactly it is you're putting in your system and what side effects it might have.

If you weren't a tree hugging lib I'd totally think you were awesome. :2razz::2razz:

If you weren't a tree hugging lib I'd totally think you were awesome. :2razz::2razz:

I'm an awesome tree-hugging lib baller. :mrgreen: Awesomeness and tree-hugging are not mutually exclusive, it's actually an awesome sport in and of itself.

This one time I was on wellbutrin, a very large dose. It is known for having GI effects. I ate a slice of pizza, and pooped it out undigested half an hour later.

I **** you not.

:lamo

Only, certain stomach flus work faster.

This one time I was on wellbutrin, a very large dose. It is known for having GI effects. I ate a slice of pizza, and pooped it out undigested half an hour later.

I **** you not.

Pun intended?

In all seriousness that is really messed up.

I **** you not.

Pun intended?

Zoloft made me feel like I was always in a fun house. Things would morph and re-shape themselves. I couldn't drive when I was on it.

Yup. The general public should be able to trust anyone in a specific industry to be somewhat of an "expert" in their field. If the doc tells me to take a pill, I should be fairly confident that he is telling me that for my best interest and not his. If a lawyer tells me that I should/shouldn't do this or that, then I should be fairly confident that he is giving me good advice, and not just trying to "take my money". The general public should be expected to make rational choices, but we should also expect that the professionals are offering us good advice. If our industry professionals are nothing more than snake oil salesmen trying to get my money regardless if I recieve the desired results from their products, then we may be better off without whatever it is they are trying to sell.

If we al have to become a doctor or a pharmists to make good health care decisions, they why do we need doctors and pharmists?

Worse yet, if the medicine or drug doesn't do as advertised, you can't sue because manufacturers and druggists are protected by law. The long established law of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is actually a license for all manufacturers to steal.

ricksfolly

ricksfolly

You know, physicians kinda blurt out what the drug rep tells them. Only pharmacists are truly trained in how drugs work and they are required to learn about new medications. I think people should go to their pharmacist for drug information and trust the judgement of their physician when prescribing. It should be illegal in America for drug companies to advertise medication in my opinion as well.

I'm not a fan of medicating society. I won't go twice to a doctor whose first solution to any problem is a pill. I was put on Zoloft at the age of 16, which caused extremely negative side effects, the least of which being a completely f*cked perception of reality and the most severe of which being a painful battle with anorexia. The doctor's suggestion was to put me on a drug for schizophrenia in addition to the Zoloft because he felt I "couldn't deal" without the anti-depressants. Thankfully, a therapist felt differently.

The responsibility, though, is with the patient. They need to inform themselves and decide was is best. If they're easily influenced and come to decide they have this ailment or that ailment then let them medicate themselves for it.

That's interesting to me. I am fifteen and on Focalin for ADD, Zoloft for Anxiety and Depression, Caffeine tablets for headaches, and benzodiazepines (Temazepam) for sleep trouble. I have been diagnosed and tested for my problems and regularly see a medication physiatrist, another counselor for my ADD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Depression, on top of my normal/family doctor (total of three doctors).....I cannot function normally in any way without my medication.

That's interesting to me. I am fifteen and on Focalin for ADD, Zoloft for Anxiety and Depression, Caffeine tablets for headaches, and benzodiazepines (Temazepam) for sleep trouble. I have been diagnosed and tested for my problems and regularly see a medication physiatrist, another counselor for my ADD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Depression, on top of my normal/family doctor (total of three doctors).....I cannot function normally in any way without my medication.

I still have pretty serious social anxiety issues if I don't focus on managing it. I was diagnosed with chronic depression as a teen (the reason for the Zoloft), but when asked my doctor dismissed the possibility of therapy being beneficial for me. After talking with my dad two months into the meds he agreed to take me to a therapist who asked me if I'd be willing to wean off the meds. I was, so we did. She then worked with me on coping mechanisms, mood recognition, and self awareness exercises. She helped develop skills for dealing with depression and helped me understand that I didn't have to make things worse by denigrating myself when I isolated myself socially, or when I had those "can't get out of bed" days.

Some people can learn ways to function without medication. Some can't. But I would never take a medication again without making sure I had no other options.

^ Yeah I'm sorry to hear you had such a tough time with that. I can tell you right now with the utmost sympathy and honesty that I completely understand how hard it is dealing with that stuff. It's very frustrating having these psychological problems and a lot of times makes me yearn to just have a normal mind like the rest of my friends.....It has however had an impact and shaped who I am as a person. I wouldn't want to change that. So I wouldn't say I wish I never had these disorders. I also still see that I have a really good life compared to a lot of people out there in the world.

I still have pretty serious social anxiety issues if I don't focus on managing it. I was diagnosed with chronic depression as a teen (the reason for the Zoloft), but when asked my doctor dismissed the possibility of therapy being beneficial for me. After talking with my dad two months into the meds he agreed to take me to a therapist who asked me if I'd be willing to wean off the meds. I was, so we did. She then worked with me on coping mechanisms, mood recognition, and self awareness exercises. She helped develop skills for dealing with depression and helped me understand that I didn't have to make things worse by denigrating myself when I isolated myself socially, or when I had those "can't get out of bed" days.

Some people can learn ways to function without medication. Some can't. But I would never take a medication again without making sure I had no other options.

My own experience is much older but interesting.

When I entered first grade (1970) I was diagnosed with ADHD. The called it hyperactivity back then. And I really didn't need a diagnosis. At that age there was no way in hell I could sit still in a desk for ten minutes.

There were eleven of us in that class of first graders. Ten were put on Ritalin, my mother refused to put me on it. After my fidgeting and blurting became just too much, they upped the pressure on her but she still refused.

Instead she took me to a therapist who taught me to channel my excess energy in less disruptive ways. I still rotate a foot or fiddle with something in my hand when I'm agitated.

The really interesting thing is that by 6th grade, the other ten kids who were diagnosed and medicated were ALL in special ed.

And it was the year they experimented with a self paced curriculum, which I completed in less than two weeks both semesters. I spent the entire year tutoring kids who weren't going to make it to junior high.

Almost all of my friends are ADD adults who weren't medicated as kids.

Its something that's always intrigued me but I don't know what to make of it.

I'm going to be entering an adult add program here in SD as I have a depression issue that is add related. Turns out being in your own way all the time can be depressing. Who'da thunkit?

So hopefully ill get some answers to some old questions.:2wave:

^ Cool! Good luck with your new program! :D Those always help. :) I wish I could get off medication and just use counseling and home techniques alone. I do both medication and technique dealies like you're doing and both combined really help me manage my symptoms. I am VERY genetically ****ed on both sides of my family. I'm so grateful to be able to have medication and therapy. I will never take it for granted! :)

^ Cool! Good luck with your new program! :D Those always help. :) I wish I could get off medication and just use counseling and home techniques alone. I do both medication and technique dealies like you're doing and both combined really help me manage my symptoms. I am VERY genetically ****ed on both sides of my family. I'm so grateful to be able to have medication and therapy. I will never take it for granted! :)

One thing about getting off meds. As you get older, the intensity of the adverse effects of add seem to lessen, at least in my experience with other untreated during childhood adults.

Just never, ever, stop psych meds suddenly, ever.

Amd if you haven't, check out candidiasis. If you ever had a serious illness when you were little that required high power antibiotics, you may be dealing with this.

Real quick, its an imbalance in the fauna in your gut. Bacteria and yeasts live in balance in your innards. Antibiotics kill bacteria but not yeasts. Unchecked, yeasts multiply and eventually transform into a reproductive form, putting down roots in your intestines and pumping toxins into yojr bloodstream that some believe intensify add symptoms.

Good talking to you. And if I haven't already, welcome to the board!:2wave:

:doh Pharmaceuticals are not engineering diseases to make people sick and buy medicine... Neither are physicians or hospitals. To be honest the biggest drug scam is Medicaid. All these low life people get prescriptions for narcotics from multiple doctors and they are on government insurance. They go out and sell it later. I've literally had a guy on Medicaid pick up 4 narcotics all paid for by the government. While he was getting his "prescriptions" he was on the phone arranging a meeting place for someone to buy them.

The paper in that thread did not cure cancer. It was just a hypothetical treatment.

ricksfolly

Like restless leg syndrome?

Back
Top Bottom