• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drug-driving deaths more than double in US

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n estimated one in six fatal crashes in Washington involved a driver who had recently used marijuana.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“The significant increase in fatal crashes involving marijuana is alarming,” said Peter Kissinger, president and CEO of the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. “Washington serves as an eye-opening case study for what other states may experience with road safety after legalizing the drug.”[/FONT]
What a shock, high people killing more people on the roads....

[FONT=proxima_nova]Any time Mary Gaston drives by the intersection where a driver high on marijuana plowed into her son's motorcycle two and a half years ago, the loud bang of the impact replays in her head.

[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova]Blake had hugged her before he left the suburban Seattle restaurant's parking lot — it was the last time she would ever feel his embrace.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova]"I heard it and I knew instantly," Gaston remembers. "I said 'that's Blake' and I just ran. It was not even 50 feet away. And he was lying in the intersection bleeding out."[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova]Though doctors tried to save his life, 23-year-old Blake Gaston didn't make it.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova]His story is becoming frighteningly more common. A new report by the American Auto Association (AAA) has found that the percentage of drivers who are high on pot during fatal accidents in Washington State more than doubled between 2013 and 2014.

http://www.today.com/health/driving-while-high-marijuana-causing-spike-fatal-accidents-t91746

I don't get the desire or demand to legalize pot, do you WANT to kill people? FFS what is wrong with the lot of you?[/FONT]

Would you want alcohol banned and cell phones as well?

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.today.com/health/driving-while-high-marijuana-causing-spike-fatal-accidents-t91746

I don't get the desire or demand to legalize pot, do you WANT to kill people? FFS what is wrong with the lot of you?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Debunked here several times already as Chicken Little alarmist claptrap.

"Marijuana-related" does not in any way imply 'marijuana-caused'.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.today.com/health/driving-while-high-marijuana-causing-spike-fatal-accidents-t91746

I don't get the desire or demand to legalize pot, do you WANT to kill people? FFS what is wrong with the lot of you?[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'd like to know what "recently" exactly means and how they determined it as marijuana can stay in the bodies blood for days after use.

That being said, people get intoxicated and then drive, that is nothing new.

Why does this sound like a gun control argument to me?

I never found it was a good idea to get high and drive. Alcohol was certainly worse but marijuana was bad too. Better to take a cab or wait till you are near, where you will sleep.

Why does this sound like a gun control argument to me?

Duh... I will give that some thought. :confused::thinking:thinking:thumbs::2party:

Imagine that. Stoned people don't drive very well. Whodda thunk it? :lol:

Bogus, sloppy, journalism. How many people had nothing in their systems except for reefer? We don't know. Otherwise we don't actually know what caused the accidents. To report that the use of pot caused the accidents is misleading and irresponsible. Your entire premise is based on assumptions, inference and non-facts.

Bogus, sloppy, journalism. How many people had nothing in their systems except for reefer? We don't know. Otherwise we don't actually know what caused the accidents. To report that the use of pot caused the accidents is misleading and irresponsible. Your entire premise is based on assumptions, inference and non-facts.

Pot stays in the system for a long time. It's very possible these people were not stoned. But, speaking from experience, getting stoned frequently enough that pot is still in your system after a few days does mean you're not quite as alert as you would be if you haven't smoked any pot in the past 30 days. That's not really disputable.

One bad choice does not justify another... Your line of thinking leads to ever lowering standards, when what we should be pursuing are higher standards. Instead of lowering the bar, we should be raising it.

So yes to banning cell phones and alcohol then? Would that not be raising the bar? Is not one death from a cell phone distracted driving or one death from alcohol too much? Or is it just weed and this misleading article that is of concern?

Would you want alcohol banned and cell phones as well?

Texas has lots "No driving and cell phone" use (handsfree only).

I'd LOVE to end drunk driving, but one group of impaired drivers is enough, why add more?

Debunked here several times already as Chicken Little alarmist claptrap.

"Marijuana-related" does not in any way imply 'marijuana-caused'.

Yep, you are SOOO right.. oh wait, no you're not.

I'd LOVE to end drunk driving, but one group of impaired drivers is enough, why add more?

How about control the impaired driving and let those that drink or smoke responsibly do so.

Have DUI's related to pot also gone up? I would think there would be a corresponding increase.

You can deny reality all you'd like. I choose not to.

You believe in legalization, you are inclined to believe what supports your cause. I don't like seeing impaired drivers, perhaps my judgment is equally affected as is yours. The difference I think is, I want to save lives, you could give two ****s less about people dying.

You believe in legalization, you are inclined to believe what supports your cause. I don't like seeing impaired drivers, perhaps my judgment is equally affected as is yours. The difference I think is, I want to save lives, you could give two ****s less about people dying.

No, not really. You simply choose to cite flawed data and not to recognize more thorough (and honestly done) studies. You should really study up on the subject.

Federal study: Drivers who have used pot aren't more dangerous than sober drivers | The Evergreen | Seattle Times

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/25000/25800/25867/DOT-HS-808-078.pdf

And if you claim to give a **** about people dying, why aren't you advocating for reintroducing Prohibition?

Interesting, thanks for the link.

What is also interesting is that the overall numbers for the periods studied haven't significantly changed 1311 vs 1324 but the makeup has. I wonder if there are certain people who are just more likely to drive intoxicated regardless of the intoxicant and the real problem are said people, ie remove pot legalization and they'll just go back to driving drunk.

No, not really. You simply choose to cite flawed data and not to recognize more thorough (and honestly done) studies. You should really study up on the subject.

Federal study: Drivers who have used pot aren't more dangerous than sober drivers | The Evergreen | Seattle Times

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/25000/25800/25867/DOT-HS-808-078.pdf

And if you claim to give a **** about people dying, why aren't you advocating for reintroducing Prohibition?
STrawman calling, he's mocking you.

Back
Top Bottom