• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drudge Report: Shutdown Deal Reached; Government to Reopen Temporarily

What did his shutdown accomplish?

Democrats have agreed to fund the wall and vote on the bill in agreement to end the shutdown.

According to what I have read, Democrats will fund over 25 billion towards the wall and Republicans agree to allow all daca students to become citizens. Jared Kushner is working the deal.

List of largest caves in America

1. Mammoth Cave, Kentucky
2. Jewel Cave, South Dakota
3. Trump Cave, Washington D.C.

he deserves credit for ending the shutdown. The deal maker strikes again.

He ended the crisis that he started.

He ended something that he should not have done in the first place.

He ended the crisis that he started.

He ended something that he should not have done in the first place.

You didn't see the report of unnamed Democrats agreeing to fund 20-28 billion towards the wall for permanent protection for 1.8 million dreamers?

This is good news...Now, going forward, they agree to talk about the issues involved "in good faith" and get to some sort of agreement that will fund the government for the year, and give these workers certainty....

So, I'll open it up, what do you people think? Will the "wall" be approved?

I can see that the Dems well agree to reinforce existing structures and possibly build new structures in limited strategic areas. I think Dems will want boarder security improved in other ways. I was thinking that they agreement that the limit wall in strategic areas will happen with some DACA considerations. But the huge wall Trump is looking for? Not happening.

It sent a clear message.

that the potus likes to screw with people that are just trying to earn an honest living? Message received,

You didn't see the report of unnamed Democrats agreeing to fund 20-28 billion towards the wall for permanent protection for 1.8 million dreamers?

Well, when the unnamed Dems agree to be named and get a majority of Dem votes....come back to me.

List of largest caves in America

1. Mammoth Cave, Kentucky
2. Jewel Cave, South Dakota
3. Trump Cave, Washington D.C.

Which reminds me of this exotic dancer I knew many years ago who was working her way through beauty school........

I don't know why I thought this thread would be any different than all the others. Political victories are usually shades of gray. If they're done right, all sides can claim some credit and brag to their supporters. Imho, this was probably the first time in Trump's presidency that he lost as fully as ever a loss can be. He didn't take his wall when the Democrats offered it to him when they had almost no leverage. He acted like a jackass and squandered his Congress for two full years. Then he waited for his opponents to win the House and lost his nonexistent mind when they exercised their constitutional authority to say no to him. He shut down the government for 35 days because he's obviously never taken a civics class in his entire life and in the process, caused inconvenience, pain, and near destruction of millions of American lives. Then he took the exact same ****ing deal he was offered 35 days ago. So, although I am biased, the man lost every millimeter of this catastrophe he caused; and I thought even his mega supporters in this forum would be a little bit objective about what just happened. How naive of me.

By the way, the wall thing was amusing three years ago. It became silly two years ago. It was delusional a year ago. Now it's straight up psychotic. Can we not let this asshole keep tricking us into talking about things that don't matter? I swear we're smarter than this.

LOL, a repeat of "The Art of the Dunce" eh? I doubt he'll fare any better the second time around. Pelosi is twice the man Trump could ever hope to be.

I'm not a Pelosi fan and I'd really like term limits so I can see at least a few new faces in my entire life before I turn 40. But I have been impressed with how she, this old woman who sometimes has a difficult time speaking, has utterly demolished Trump every day since she became speaker.

We have border barriers. We don't need a wall and it most certainly is not a crisis.

I do have to hand it to Trump, however. He actually seems to have taken 'no' rather well and he has experienced a lot all of the sudden. Once you call out a bully with a shot to the nose, many of them turn out to be ok guys.

He just said in the Rose Garden that we don't need a wall. Just some slats or picket fencing or orange plastic construction mesh. Anything to tell his supporters that he won. And none of them are calling out his bull****. Different day, same story.

I understand why he reopened it temporarily I'm just not sure I agree with it

I will say this if he gets a comprehensive reform of immigration policy and border security I can this be a big win for both sides
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say "he" gets, but if "we" get comprehensive immigration policy reform and border security (and by that I mean at the southern border, the northern border, both coasts, the Gulf of Mexico, and every airport in the US), then it will be a spectacular achievement that everyone can applaud. I am dubious, though, because after forty years of totally unsuccessful attempts, we're now talking about building a house (comprehensive reform) with a door (that stupid ****ing wall). The idiots in DC have no intention of doing anything meaningful and we idiot voters have no intention of ever holding anyone accountable. This is all a meaningless distraction.

Holy deflection batman. We've seen plenty of evidence of collusion from the Trump campaign and with Stone's arrest we'll see even more. It has been a very fruitful investigation and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

But for now I'm happy to gloat over the fact that Trump put his foot down and lost. Deservedly so. It was despicable holding those workers and the govt hostage for his petty wall. He lost and he won't start the same fight again.

It's over. The wall is dead.

I am not aware of any time in Trump's miserable life that he truly lost. He has lawyers and money and no accountability for anything ever. Pelosi took her gavel three weeks ago and has raped this man with it every day since then. I sense that he has no idea in the world how this feels or what to do.

On a positive Triump note, Earlier this week, Ronnie O'Sullivan was defeated in the World Masters Snooker Championship by Judd Trump!

He just said in the Rose Garden that we don't need a wall. Just some slats or picket fencing or orange plastic construction mesh. Anything to tell his supporters that he won. And none of them are calling out his bull****. Different day, same story.

Maybe just some police tape..... I like the picket fence or maybe split rail.

....pity all the foos that were hung out to dry by their feckless leader. He 'railed' for weeks about the need for the wall and how the hoards of brown people were coming to steal your jobs, your land, your wives and your daughters. We all saw lots of that water being carried right here on DP. What people could never understand was Trump doesn't care one iota about the wall. This was just the symbol of his perceived personal power, which now he is coming to grips with just how limited his personal power actually is.

Are we finally witnessing the humbling of Trump? Is he, for the first time coming to grips with the fact that he is human after all, with the same limitations and foibles as the rest of us? His arrogance needed to be taken down a notch. Its a pity the Mitch McConnell wasn't man enough to do it. I guess it took Pelosi.

I am not aware of any time in Trump's miserable life that he truly lost. He has lawyers and money and no accountability for anything ever. Pelosi took her gavel three weeks ago and has raped this man with it every day since then. I sense that he has no idea in the world how this feels or what to do.

Unfortunately for Trump, I think the losing is just starting. The law is closing in and they ain't going away. Unless Trump is smart (and he hasn't been) and negotiates an exit, he could leave Washington a broken man. He may retire to Trump Tower - Moscow.

Last edited:
I'm not a Pelosi fan and I'd really like term limits so I can see at least a few new faces in my entire life before I turn 40. But I have been impressed with how she, this old woman who sometimes has a difficult time speaking, has utterly demolished Trump every day since she became speaker.

We had term limits for our congressman in Colorado thanks to Tom Tancredo, who led the charge. Unfortunately, it wasn't constitutional, so it became voluntary. When Tom Tancredo's voluntary term limit kicked in, he decided his work was much too important to honor it, so he ran anyway.

https://www.theintelligencer.com/news/article/Colo-Rep-No-Term-Limit-Pledge-10517529.php

I have to admit that after watching Pelosi and Schumer today, she gave me some hope that maybe the two sides can find s reasonable compromise. I found little yo be optimistic with Schumer though, he just resembled much of the petty gloating that I'm reading from many in this thread.

I see a real opprotunity here to something bigger than a wall. I see an opprotunity for a comprehensive immigration/daca/border security bill passed that everyone can walk away feeling like a winner from.

I think maybe many on both sides learned some valuable lessons over the past 34 days. I will say that I dont think they can do it in 3 weeks and that will be the rub. If Congress can show Trump that they are working on something that's big and comprehensive enough I do believe he will sign another CR tp give them dome extra time to dot the I's and cross the T's in both houses.

Schumer's attitude is what concerns me the most.

I wouldn't say "he" gets, but if "we" get comprehensive immigration policy reform and border security (and by that I mean at the southern border, the northern border, both coasts, the Gulf of Mexico, and every airport in the US), then it will be a spectacular achievement that everyone can applaud. I am dubious, though, because after forty years of totally unsuccessful attempts, we're now talking about building a house (comprehensive reform) with a door (that stupid ****ing wall). The idiots in DC have no intention of doing anything meaningful and we idiot voters have no intention of ever holding anyone accountable. This is all a meaningless distraction.
I am more optimistic than you are but I understand your skepticism. I'm not into gloating but I really do hope I get to tell you I told you so on this one.

I have to admit that after watching Pelosi and Schumer today, she gave me some hope that maybe the two sides can find s reasonable compromise. I found little yo be optimistic with Schumer though, he just resembled much of the petty gloating that I'm reading from many in this thread.

I see a real opprotunity here to something bigger than a wall. I see an opprotunity for a comprehensive immigration/daca/border security bill passed that everyone can walk away feeling like a winner from.

I think maybe many on both sides learned some valuable lessons over the past 34 days. I will say that I dont think they can do it in 3 weeks and that will be the rub. If Congress can show Trump that they are working on something that's big and comprehensive enough I do believe he will sign another CR tp give them dome extra time to dot the I's and cross the T's in both houses.

Schumer's attitude is what concerns me the most.

The idea of a wall or barrier or fence should be a part of a comprehensive immigration reform package. This always should have been done within the Congressional construct. Trump could have easily had his wall, if he really wanted it (which frankly I have always doubted) if he merely negotiated for it. The Dems want immigration issues resolved. They will deal. Unfortunately, a deal requires giving something for the get. The Republicans have, to date, not been willing to give.

Frankly, because Republicans don't want the wall; the want the issue. Republicans don't have an appetite for the price that must be paid for the wall, which will include a path to citizenship for DACA kids (many no longer kids). They could have had the wall two years ago, but walked away from the deal because they would not pay the price. They only want the wall if they can steal it, through bullying. That did work. Their leverage in bullying is now gone with the House Majority and the threat to the Senate majority in 2020 (when they must defend over 40% of their seats).

Pick up the immigration reform package of four years ago, set up a new committee of senior legislators...and draft (and pass) a bill consistent with their recommendations. Let's use this to get Washington working again. The hell with the Freedom caucus and other fringe factions of both parties. We can (and should) govern from the center.

Last edited:
The idea of a wall or barrier or fence should be a part of a comprehensive immigration reform package. This always should have been done within the Congressional construct. Trump could have easily had his wall, if he really wanted it (which frankly I have always doubted) if he merely negotiated for it. The Dems want immigration issues resolved. They will deal. Unfortunately, a deal requires giving something for the get. The Republicans have, to date, not been willing to give.

Frankly, because Republicans don't want the wall; the want the issue. Republicans don't have an appetite for the price that must be paid for the wall, which will include a path to citizenship for DACA kids (many no longer kids). They could have had the wall two years ago, but walked away from the deal because they would not pay the price. They only want the wall if they can steal it, through bullying. That did work. Their leverage in bullying is now gone with the House Majority and the threat to the Senate majority in 2020 (when they must defend over 40% of their seats).

Pick up the immigration reform package of four years ago, set up a new committee of senior legislators...and draft (and pass) a bill consistent with their recommendations. Let's use this to get Washington working again. The hell with the Freedom caucus and other fringe factions of both parties. We can govern from the center.
As I said I think the past 34 days has taught lessons to both sides. I think both may be willing to bend more than they have been previously.

I have a question for you personally about DACA. Is citizenship a non-negotiable element to reform or could you live with giving them permanent legal residency but short of allowing full citizenship?

As I said I think the past 34 days has taught lessons to both sides. I think both may be willing to bend more than they have been previously.

I have a question for you personally about DACA. Is citizenship a non-negotiable element to reform or could you live with giving them permanent legal residency but short of allowing full citizenship?

Personally, I am not that invested in DACA. I think giving them permanent legal residency is essential, but they, IMHO, should then have the same opportunities to earn citizenship as any other permanent legal resident or green card holder. I am fine with the idea they are not "granted citizenship" by virtue of merely being brought here.

I do think, however, we need to reform immigration and then enforce whatever laws result. Put this issue to bed!

Personally, I am not that invested in DACA. I think giving them permanent legal residency is essential, but they, IMHO, should then have the same opportunities to earn citizenship as any other permanent legal resident or green card holder. I am fine with the idea they are not "granted citizenship" by virtue of merely being brought here.

I do think, however, we need to reform immigration and then enforce whatever laws result. Put this issue to bed!
I can and do support exactly that. Give them legal residency and allow them to apply to become citizens later.

I can and do support exactly that. Give them legal residency and allow them to apply to become citizens later.

OMG... agreement on DP on a political issue between a progressive and a conservative. Is this one of the signs of the impending apocalypse?

I see a real opportunity here to something bigger than a wall. I see an opprotunity for ....a comprehensive immigration/daca/border security bill passed that everyone can walk away feeling like a winner from.
I think maybe many on both sides learned some valuable lessons over the past 34 days..

Of course reasonable people may believe there is always opportunity to good things as POTUS...but this is contrary to the Trump position right now.
- something other than the wall, was the key rejection by Trump!
You see the opposite of Trump's position, as a potentially good thing! Well yeah, that's what a lot of people have been saying. Will Trump learn a lesson and try to do the right thing? Sure we wish, but there is no cause for such optimism 2 years in. Everything is scorched earth for Trump.

I agree that if they turned this Trump defeat, into real comprehensive immigration reform (which isn't really even on the table), in a bi-partisan way, then he could indeed make this overall fight a huge win for Republicans, and blunt the loss in this particular battle.
But Trump ran on immigration fears, why would he solve them...what would be his next crisis to whip people into a frenzy about?

Back
Top Bottom