• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drudge Report: Shutdown Deal Reached; Government to Reopen Temporarily

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
“I’m very proud to announce today that we have reached a deal to end the shutdown and reopen the federal government,” Trump said in the Rose Garden. Trump also disussed the option of using a “very powerful alternative,” meaning a declaration of a national emergency to build the wall with executive authority in contravention of Congress, but said “I did not want to use it at this time.”
“In a short while, I will sign a bill to reopen our federal government for three weeks until Feb.15,” Trump said, confirming details first reported by the Drudge Report and subsequently confirmed by other media outlets. He said that he will ensure federal employees will receive back pay “very quickly.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/25/drudge-report-shutdown-deal-reached-government-reopen-temporarily/

This is good news...Now, going forward, they agree to talk about the issues involved "in good faith" and get to some sort of agreement that will fund the government for the year, and give these workers certainty....

So, I'll open it up, what do you people think? Will the "wall" be approved?

No wall.

Republicans caved because their POTUS is a failure at leading.

This is good news...Now, going forward, they agree to talk about the issues involved "in good faith" and get to some sort of agreement that will fund the government for the year, and give these workers certainty....

It's good there's an agreement, but not much of a surprise, given the reporting Senate Republicans were taking McConnell to task over the shutdown.

As far as the wall, there is no additional money provided, with the idea it'll be discussed more in the next three weeks. But my guess is unless there are some big concessions to the Democrats, Trump will not see anything close to $5.7b. Perhaps as high as $3b, but I'd be surprised at anything more than that.

From CBS:

""I am very proud to announce that we have reached a deal to end the shutdown and reopen the federal government," Mr. Trump said in an address from the White House Rose Garden, adding that he had the opportunity to declare a national emergency to build the wall but decided not to do so at this time. Mr. Trump also thanked the federal workers who had been furloughed or working without pay.

"In many cases you encouraged me to keep going because you care so much about our country and our border security," he said to federal workers. He said federal workers would receive back pay "very quickly," or "almost immediately."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government-shutdown-deal-reached-trump-speech-announcement-opens-government-shutdown-over-today-live-updates-2019-01-25/

It's good there's an agreement, but not much of a surprise, given the reporting Senate Republicans were taking McConnell to task over the shutdown.

As far as the wall, there is no additional money provided, with the idea it'll be discussed more in the next three weeks. But my guess is unless there are some big concessions to the Democrats, Trump will not see anything close to $5.7b. Perhaps as high as $3b, but I'd be surprised at anything more than that.

At least that would be negotiation....Something different than the childish crapfest we have seen so far...

At least that would be negotiation....Something different than the childish crapfest we have seen so far...
My grandfather always used to say the best way to solve the problems in Washington would be to get everyone together in one building, force them to talk to each other and then drop the biggest bomb on the building one can find so the country can start all over again.

Sometimes I think that is not such a bad idea.

I think it was mistake by Trump. I think he is trying to put Nancy in a difficult position to say no but she will ask for something outrageous for it so it will be rejected and she thinks she can shift the blame onto trump if the government gets shutdown again.

She should have no objection to him giving the SOTU now and that is where he may be able to pick up support with people.

One thing he did accomplish is to make himself look less partisan than the Democrats by refunding the gov without anything in return

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just interested Sly, how do you feel about Obscurity's post above yours?

https://www.debatepolitics.com/breaking-news-mainstream-media/345248-drudge-report-shutdown-deal-reached-government-reopen-temporarily.html#post1069599712

My grandfather always used to say the best way to solve the problems in Washington would be to get everyone together in one building, force them to talk to each other and then drop the biggest bomb on the building one can find so the country can start all over again.

Sometimes I think that is not such a bad idea.

LOL....not bad...Probably true....

Yes it is good news. Pay checks going out shortly! Lets see if good faith negotiations happen. I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens.
But I think we will be back here after the next deadline.

I think it was mistake by Trump. I think he is trying to put Nancy in a difficult position to say no but she will ask for something outrageous for it so it will be rejected and she thinks she can shift the blame onto trump if the government gets shutdown again.

She should have no objection to him giving the SOTU now and that is where he may be able to pick up support with people.

One thing he did accomplish is to make himself look less partisan than the Democrats by refunding the gov without anything in return

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can see why, many wanted him to hold firm, but I think that the workers put in the middle need their paychecks, too...And this is only temporary...If they fail, or if Pelosi, or the more radical members force a "NO WALL" agenda and the government will shut down again, and Trump will declare a National Emergency...So, either way he is going to get his wall as I see it....

Yes it is good news. Pay checks going out shortly! Lets see if good faith negotiations happen. I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens.

I think what you will see is a National Emergency declared if this get's close to shutting down again....In that case Democrats not only will be blamed for being intransigent, but Trump will get all that he wants....This I think politically was the best he could have done in the here and now to help the people.

Yes, 'the wall' funding will be approved. I don't care how each side wants to word their victory. We the people were finally heard. All the president has to do is tell his base he got his wall funding, tell them five thousand miles worth are already under construction and everyone can go home happy.

There is no "good faith" in funding a stupid forking wall. none at all. You want to talk real border security, dems would support that. But as history has shown, Republicans don't want that becuase they have used illegals for 40 years to whip up their base while doing nothing about it and blocking efforts by dems to deal with it (like in 2013, which provided 40 billion for border security the republican house wouldn't even vote on)

I agree, Trump agreed to Nancy's deal, and that's good news.

Trump shuts down government and demands wall funding to end shutdown.
Nancy demands government re-open, and negotiations continue.

Trump just took Nancy's deal. Glad to see you happy about it though, just didn't expect it.

I think what you will see is a National Emergency declared if this get's close to shutting down again....In that case Democrats not only will be blamed for being intransigent, but Trump will get all that he wants....This I think politically was the best he could have done in the here and now to help the people.

Declaring a national emergency won't survive in the courts. Trump will get nothing.

Nice rationalization, by the way, of the complete and utter surrender that Trump just committed. White Flag Donnie is impotent and weak, and Pelosi knows this.

Fun!

I can see why, many wanted him to hold firm, but I think that the workers put in the middle need their paychecks, too...And this is only temporary...If they fail, or if Pelosi, or the more radical members force a "NO WALL" agenda and the government will shut down again, and Trump will declare a National Emergency...So, either way he is going to get his wall as I see it....

LOL, you can't defend why a wall is good, and would actually work, or refute all the arguments and facts that have been put forth about how a wall is a complete waste on the countless threads about it. Yet you still have a hard on over this wall. Radical is actually people who just keep saying they need a wall, and can't offer a single argument to support it. Just keep repeatt he same dumb stuff "I don't feel safe, "prisons have walls' and other dumb **** right wingers spew

you have zero credibility

No wall.

Republicans caved because their POTUS is a failure at leading.

Ditto. No wall. here's what happened:

1. Trump's ratings went down.
2,3 oh wait. That's pretty much the end of it.

See he realised this was sinking him in the polls and all he cares about is ratings. Maybe his cabinet spoke to him, or his daughter-crush or her husband. Maybe there were one too many negative slots on Fox. Maybe the noise around the Stone arrest got to him. But he realised he was copping the blame for this shutdown and couldn't pin it on the Dems, at least not outside his base, who really have made a great effort at cheerleading him here on these forums but I think now need to sit back and take a breather.

The wall won't be in this deal and the 'temporary' reopening will not be that. Trump threatened to do it again if he doesn't get his wall money but we all know he won't. It's far too toxic and it didn't work the first time anyway. Instead he gets up and proclaims victory and suggests that he 'forced' the two factions in congress to come to a deal (reminder: they forced him). The wall debate will be held another time, if at all, and will turn into a broader talk about border security options and Trump will likely be uninvolved.

This is where the wall dies folks.

Go for it. Knock yourself out.

There is no emergency as there is no crisis. There will no wall because the people don't want it and won't pay for it. Sorry Trump made a promise that he could not deliver upon. Maybe he just got plain tuckered out from all that winning..... (or was it whining?)

Put it back on the Christmas list. If your a good Republican Party and don't shut down the government again maybe Santa will be better to you next Christmas.

Nope, he won't try this twice after losing the first time. Oh we might have shutdowns of congress's own making but Trump won't deliberately force one again, and his people must have convinced him that declaring an emergency over this is political suicide at best, impeachment bait at worst. This is the end of Trump's wall. It will exist only at MAGA rallies.

Yes, 'the wall' funding will be approved. I don't care how each side wants to word their victory. We the people were finally heard. All the president has to do is tell his base he got his wall funding, tell them five thousand miles worth are already under construction and everyone can go home happy.

Good strategy. Declare victory and move on. Scorekeepers give round one to Pelosi.

I think it is inaccurate because the Republican led Senate passed a no wall funding CR before Christmas.

Senate Republicans didn't cave, they just finally got Trump to go along with it.

Exactly. The Republicans were always capable of a deal. It was Trump who put his foot down and was forced to cave. I wonder if all that egg will show up on his fat orange face?

Back
Top Bottom