• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drones ground flights at London Gatwick, sowing chaos for Christmas travelers

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...g-chaos-for-christmas-travelers-idUSKCN1OI2TN

LONDON (Reuters) - Drones flying near London’s Gatwick airport grounded flights for at least 15 hours, causing chaos for tens of thousands of Christmas travelers in what authorities said was a reckless attempt to cripple Britain’s second busiest airport.

Flights were halted at Gatwick at 2103 GMT on Wednesday after two drones were spotted flying near its airfield, triggering the biggest disruption to its operations since a volcanic ash cloud grounded flights in 2010.
=================================
Interesting development. Coordinated malicious use of drones to disrupt civil aviation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...g-chaos-for-christmas-travelers-idUSKCN1OI2TN

LONDON (Reuters) - Drones flying near London’s Gatwick airport grounded flights for at least 15 hours, causing chaos for tens of thousands of Christmas travelers in what authorities said was a reckless attempt to cripple Britain’s second busiest airport.

Flights were halted at Gatwick at 2103 GMT on Wednesday after two drones were spotted flying near its airfield, triggering the biggest disruption to its operations since a volcanic ash cloud grounded flights in 2010.
=================================
Interesting development. Coordinated malicious use of drones to disrupt civil aviation.

I think that those who are found to have used drones around planes at an airstrip should be charged with a count of attempted murder for each and every person on the plane, personally. The same with those pieces of garbage who shine lasers to blind aircraft pilots.

As a member of the quadcopter community, this is unacceptable. We have this expression, "Ruining the hobby" for people like this.

Its always around Christmas, too many beginners unwrapping drones. So many of them don't make it to the New Year.

I think that those who are found to have used drones around planes at an airstrip should be charged with a count of attempted murder for each and every person on the plane, personally. The same with those pieces of garbage who shine lasers to blind aircraft pilots.

We vacation at the Delaware shore. One of the shop vendors on the main tourist street openly hawks green laser pointers.

I bought a cheap UV-deep blue laser to study pigment fluorescence in my sea shell collection. It's the green ones the FBI is after.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/gatwick-airport-drones-gbr-intl/index.html

Police hunt drone pilots in unprecedented Gatwick Airport disruption

London (CNN)The United Kingdom's second-biggest airport has been closed on one of the year's busiest days for travel after drone sightings, which police have described as a "deliberate act."

London's Gatwick Airport has been closed since 9 p.m. on Wednesday -- bar a brief reprieve of 45 minutes early Thursday morning -- after drones were spotted near the airfield.
==============================
The British cops are pretty good at this especially because of the extensive CCTV coverage in the Greater London area. Someone will drop a euro & turn one of them in I'll wager.

Turn them loose in the terminal filled with people who have been stuck there for hours. Make certain everyone knows who they are, then turn off the cameras and look the other way for a while.

That should discourage anyone from operating drones at the airport in the future.

We vacation at the Delaware shore. One of the shop vendors on the main tourist street openly hawks green laser pointers.

I bought a cheap UV-deep blue laser to study pigment fluorescence in my sea shell collection. It's the green ones the FBI is after.

If you really wanted to sow chaos at night with your drone, mount a few green laser pointers on it. That will get their attention.

Back
Top Bottom