• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drone may have hit Boeing 737 just before jet landed in Mexico

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-boeing-737-drone-damaged-aircraft-20181214-story.html

Mexican airline Aeromexico is investigating whether a drone slammed into one of its Boeing 737 jetliners as the aircraft approached its destination Wednesday in Tijuana, Mexico, on the U.S. border.

Images on local media showed considerable damage to the nose of the 737-800, which was operating as Flight 773 from Guadalajara. In a cabin recording, crew members can be heard saying they heard a "pretty loud bang" and asking the control tower to check if the nose was damaged. The collision happened shortly before landing.
=====================================
With the explosion of interest in buying & operating drones, this sort of incident - either deliberate or accidental - was bound to happen.

I enjoy flying drones. But I just know it is a matter of time before idiots and criminals ruin it for the rest of us. A drone based terrorist attack in the US is inevitable.

I enjoy flying drones. But I just know it is a matter of time before idiots and criminals ruin it for the rest of us. A drone based terrorist attack in the US is inevitable.

Honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Had this particular incident been a bomb, we already would have seen steps across the world happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tokyo_Drone_Incident

You're right, it is a matter of time, but given drones are so freely available and now extremely easy to duplicate, you really gotta wonder how they're gonna be stopped, how are security services going to deal with them.

Honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Had this particular incident been a bomb, we already would have seen steps across the world happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tokyo_Drone_Incident

You're right, it is a matter of time, but given drones are so freely available and now extremely easy to duplicate, you really gotta wonder how they're gonna be stopped, how are security services going to deal with them.

Yep. And there are a lot of people who race drones who build their own because all the parts are readily available. So I also doubt the ability to stop them. I used to think large scale wars between nations was what we would have to worry about. But as technologies like these and 3D printing and AI improve and others technologies become readily available to the average person I think it is the thousands, if not millions, of lone wolf radicals and crazies that will pose the most real risk. We get all caught up on gun control and gun rights but I just know that guns are going to be child’s play compared to the damage these other technologies are going to pose. Not that I have any solutions to propose.

Back
Top Bottom