• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drone Footage of Homs, Syria[W:57]

Abbazorkzog

Zapatista Libertarian
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Found this video on Facebook so I decided to upload it to Youtube. Kind of cool in a somber, depressing way.

Re: Drone Footage of Homs, Syria

Found this video on Facebook so I decided to upload it to Youtube. Kind of cool in a somber, depressing way.

Wow!

So do we know if this destruction was done during habitation?

Wow!

So do we know if this destruction was done during habitation?

I'd assume so. Homs was essentially the capital of the 2011 revolution. That is around the time Assad started gassing the populace.

I'd assume so. Homs was essentially the capital of the 2011 revolution. That is around the time Assad started gassing the populace.
Yeah, 'cuz of course there's always the possibility the inhabitants fled and the gov subsequently leveled the place.

But from the looks of it, I think you're right.

What a scene that must have been! :doh

It's chilling.

May a well quit fighting over that scrap of land and start over in a fresh field..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Approx 700,000 thousand people lived in Homs, it was the third largest city in Syria after Aleppo to the north and the capital Damascus to the south.

There's little left and certainly nothing to go home to. It is beyond comprehension to me that there are those who do not have compassion for those victims of the war who chose to flee the hostilities there and that the suggestion seems to be they should have stayed there to fight or they should go back to where they came from. The devastation is beyond horrific.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Approx 700,000 thousand people lived in Homs, it was the third largest city in Syria after Aleppo to the north and the capital Damascus to the south.

There's little left and certainly nothing to go home to. It is beyond comprehension to me that there are those who do not have compassion for those victims of the war who chose to flee the hostilities there and that the suggestion seems to be they should have stayed there to fight or they should go back to where they came from. The devastation is beyond horrific.

Would you have fled the U.S. after Pearl Harbor?

agreed. the country/city is in ruins. The populace fleed of it's intelligensia , and no infrastructure left to build on.
It would take an international Marshall plan to rebuild

The images remind me of photos of German cities after World War Two. The U.S. has enough air power to do that kind of damage very quickly, using only conventional explosives. But a better, more humane way would be to use several hundred large guided bombs to destroy all the utilities, communications, transport, and fuel that life in a modern city depends on. Raqqa should have gotten that treatment a couple years ago, and it may yet. Same with Mosul. No better way to show the world just how impotent Daesh is than for the U.S., overnight, from the air, to leave its capital without electricity, running water, working sewers, fuel, roads in or out, bridges, telecommunications, and any way to resupply consumer goods, all without the jihadist savages being able to do a thing to prevent it.

There are already reports that the inhabitants of Raqqa are getting pretty sick of Daesh jihadists, and that U.S. raids that have killed some of the more important jihadists when they least expected it have scared hell out of the rest of the yellow mutts. Sounds like it may be a good time to hit them so hard they can never recover from it. If they were driven out of the cities into open country, all the prayers to Allah in the world could not their sorry hides from armed aircraft. I hope that in the end, we kill every last one of them.

How does it compare?

I'm assuming that you realize that the U.S. was attacked by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor by over 350 war planes, so it compares because they, like Homs, were attacked on a major scale. Do you have any other questions?

I'm assuming that you realize that the U.S. was attacked by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor by over 350 war planes, so it compares because they, like Homs, were attacked on a major scale. Do you have any other questions?

I am well aware. It is still no comparison.

Pearl Harbor was a single attack on a fairly distant US territory. It's not really comparable to a drawn-out battle in the third largest city in the country. If the Japanese were bombing Chicago and fighting American forces there, I'm sure there would have been plenty of refugees.

When you play the game of thrones you either win, or you die.

Assad makes a lot of mistakes.

Destroying Homs is not one of them.

When you play the game of thrones you either win, or you die.

Assad makes a lot of mistakes.

Destroying Homs is not one of them.
His father leveled Hama.
The Son has become used to destroying cities and murdering millions.
Apple does no fall far from the Genocidal tree.

Pearl Harbor was a single attack on a fairly distant US territory. It's not really comparable to a drawn-out battle in the third largest city in the country. If the Japanese were bombing Chicago and fighting American forces there, I'm sure there would have been plenty of refugees.

Really? You think the men would just pack up and leave the country?

Really? You think the men would just pack up and leave the country?

What if the US Army and Air Force attacked Chicago? That's what happened in Homs.

This isn't even about that. This is like the US bombing Chicago.

What if the US Army and Air Force attacked Chicago? That's what happened in Homs.

Then I, and like minded citizens, would take up arms in rebellion. I certainly wouldn't FLEE to some foreign country hoping they'd take me in.

Then I, and like minded citizens, would take up arms in rebellion. I certainly wouldn't FLEE.
Well, most people aren't going to risk there lives in those type of situations, because we humans have a survival instinct.

Well, most people aren't going to risk there lives in those type of situations, because we humans have a survival instinct.

Acting in self-defense IS a "survival instinct." You know, fight or flight?

People who are not invested in preserving a free society flee; while those who wish to preserve it fight. :shrug:

Last edited:

Did most people leave the United States during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars? And those that did....would you say their lives were richer as a result?

Back
Top Bottom