• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drone Footage of Homs, Syria[W:57]

Re: Drone Footage of Homs, Syria

Acting in self-defense IS a "survival instinct." You know, fight or flight?

People who are not invested in preserving a free society flee; while those who wish to preserve it fight. :shrug:

I guess it really depends on how big of a force your fighting. Plus, not everyone has the capability to become a efficient fighter nor does everyone want to fight.

Did most people leave the United States during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars? And those that did....would you say their lives were richer as a result?
Well they avoided the war, and they didn't die for one thing.

Then I, and like minded citizens, would take up arms in rebellion. I certainly wouldn't FLEE to some foreign country hoping they'd take me in.

That's what they did. That's why they were wiped out.
It's easy to be smug and superior, sitting safe and snug, about how people thousands of miles away should handle death raining down on them and their families. I know you'd be standing in the middle of the street with your deer rifle fighting off the fighter-bombers.
The siege of Homs lasted three years. That's a fair bit of fighting-back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Homs

I guess it really depends on how big of a force your fighting. Plus, not everyone has the capability to become a efficient fighter nor does everyone want to fight.

The colonial forces were facing a larger, better trained military force...and lost a lot of battles before winning the war.

If you are not willing to fight for freedom, why would you think you deserve it?

The colonial forces were facing a larger, better trained military force...and lost a lot of battles before winning the war.

If you are not willing to fight for freedom, why would you think you deserve it?

Because I can't fight worth a damn, and I'm not that great with a weapon?

If I was going to fight, I would fight in other ways, but definitely not warfare.

That's what they did. That's why they were wiped out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Homs

Don't be so dramatic.

From your own citation:

In early May 2014, following an agreement reached between the government and the rebels, rebel forces were allowed to evacuate the city, leaving Homs under full government control.

Now the rest of your ad hominem response is not worthy of a reply. :coffeepap:

Don't be so dramatic.

From your own citation:

Now the rest of your ad hominem response is not worthy of a reply. :coffeepap:

Three years. That's how long they fought. There's nothing in the history of the USA that compares to that, and it's easy to top it, looking around the world and around history. But there's you, belittling the effort and saying they didn't do enough, should have put up more of a fight. Putting on superior airs, no experience that can even come close but knowing how they should have done it.

Three years. That's how long they fought. There's nothing in the history of the USA that compares to that, and it's easy to top it, looking around the world and around history. But there's you, belittling the effort and saying they didn't do enough, should have put up more of a fight. Putting on superior airs, no experience that can even come close but knowing how they should have done it.

The rebels FOUGHT! Then they left the city and continued to fight!
Homs rebels in merger
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/NewsReports/566797-homs-rebels-in-merger

George Washington and the Continental Army FOUGHT, and when they lost they retreated, regrouped, and FOUGHT again!

Putting on airs? Again with the ad homs? Insults and sneers don't win debates, they simply encourage opponents to ignore you. :shrug:

Acting in self-defense IS a "survival instinct." You know, fight or flight?

People who are not invested in preserving a free society flee; while those who wish to preserve it fight. :shrug:

The problem with that analogy is that Syria never has been a representation of a 'free society.' WE may fight to preserve our freedom, the Syrians have no freedom to defend so they flee to where freedom is possible--like Europe.

The problem with that analogy is that Syria never has been a representation of a 'free society.' WE may fight to preserve our freedom, the Syrians have no freedom to defend so they flee to where freedom is possible--like Europe.

There is no problem with that analogy. If you want freedom you have to fight for it, and then be willing and prepared to fight to preserve it.

There is no problem with that analogy. If you want freedom you have to fight for it, and then be willing and prepared to fight to preserve it.

What side in the Syrian civil war is fighting for freedom?

Apparently not the people who are fleeing seeking it elsewhere... which is the whole problem as I see it. :shrug:

If there's nothing worth fighting for, why where they living there in the first place?

The rebels FOUGHT! Then they left the city and continued to fight! https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/NewsReports/566797-homs-rebels-in-merger

George Washington and the Continental Army FOUGHT, and when they lost they retreated, regrouped, and FOUGHT again!

Putting on airs? Again with the ad homs? Insults and sneers don't win debates, they simply encourage opponents to ignore you. :shrug:

So now the rebels are comparable to the Continental Army? Not even. You're all over the map here, son.
You think George Washington was the poster boy for resistance of tyranny but there's lot's of brighter-shining examples of the willingness to fight for freedom than anything in your history. This is just one. And it's on-going, and producing refugees which isn't nearly the same as refusing to fight. I mean, how do you handle finally breaking off the fight with your own government and finding ISIS waiting for you?
What would George do?

If there's nothing worth fighting for, why where they living there in the first place?

If there's nothing to say, why are they speaking?

Do your own research.

Really? You think the men would just pack up and leave the country?
I'm sure some would, especially older men and those with children.
Then I, and like minded citizens, would take up arms in rebellion. I certainly wouldn't FLEE to some foreign country hoping they'd take me in.
And that's your decision to make. No one has any obligation to sacrifice themselves because of what you think you would do.

Because that's where they were born. Isn't that pretty obvious?

Do your own research.

The question was rhetorical. And it wasn't addressed to you. So you can turn the focus of your liberal snottiness elsewhere.

You don't know what you and your buddies with your little AR-15's and crap would do when faced with the full brunt of the US Military.
After a few passes overhead of the B-52's, B-1's, Apache attack helicopters, F-16's, F-35's, and the likes....you might all be too busy pissing into your own pants to even consider trying to make it to Canada or Australia.

Your little romantic notion of defeating a full-blown government assault on the civilian population is just mind-fodder.

It sounds all good in theory to think about it, but keep in mind how easily most people could be "defeated" by the government just severing all power, communications, and supply lines to the general public.

One month with no fresh water from the faucets. No toilets. No sewage treatment. No garbage collection. No food. No electricity. No heat. No a/c. No gasoline.
No contact with anyone outside of shouting distance. No internet. No TV. No lights. No money. No banks.

Then add to that complete and utter destruction of everything that's "modern society" through brutal air attacks by airplane so freakin' high in the sky you hear the bombs exploding before you can ever notice there's even planes in the sky.

Then let that scenario happen over and over again for YEARS.

I don't doubt for a second there'd be tens of millions of "Americans" fleeing for safer lands.
And I for one would certainly not infer they were "cowards" for doing so.

You don't know what you and your buddies with your little AR-15's and crap would do when faced with the full brunt of the US Military.

Actually YOU don't know what I "and my buddies" would do. You only know what YOU would do, and are merely guessing about what other's would do.

On the other hand, I know exactly what I would do.

Nor does the fact that many of my fellow Americans would flee alter that in any way whatsoever.

The question I had originally responded to was "What would you do if faced with..."

The funny thing about people like yourself who constantly harp about others having no chance of facing and defeating a "full-blown government assault" is that you ignore all the examples in history where dedicated citizens have done just that over and over again.

Why did it take the Syrian Army three years to win in Homs with all that "overwhelming force" they had at their disposal? Even then they had to agree to a cease-fire and let the rebels leave the city. Rebels who are still fighting today.

If you say Syria can't compare to the might of the U.S. military, then how about this. How come WE are STILL fighting in Afghanistan 14 years after we started that little "police action?" How come Russia had to pull out completely, defeated after years of war?

So you go ahead and run. That is your choice. But if you make that choice I don't have to agree to accept your running to where I am so that you can hide behind me and reap the benefits preserved by people like me who are willing to fight to keep them :shrug:

After a few passes overhead of the B-52's, B-1's, Apache attack helicopters, F-16's, F-35's, and the likes....you might all be too busy pissing into your own pants to even consider trying to make it to Canada or Australia.

Your little romantic notion of defeating a full-blown government assault on the civilian population is just mind-fodder.

It sounds all good in theory to think about it, but keep in mind how easily most people could be "defeated" by the government just severing all power, communications, and supply lines to the general public.

One month with no fresh water from the faucets. No toilets. No sewage treatment. No garbage collection. No food. No electricity. No heat. No a/c. No gasoline.
No contact with anyone outside of shouting distance. No internet. No TV. No lights. No money. No banks.

Then add to that complete and utter destruction of everything that's "modern society" through brutal air attacks by airplane so freakin' high in the sky you hear the bombs exploding before you can ever notice there's even planes in the sky.

Then let that scenario happen over and over again for YEARS.

I don't doubt for a second there'd be tens of millions of "Americans" fleeing for safer lands.
And I for one would certainly not infer they were "cowards" for doing so.

Ain't it pathetic? Buncha wannabe's, bragging how they'd fight the good fight and prevail over the Syrian government with their Russian allies and Hezbollah sidekicks and ISIS snapping at the fringes. Prevail because George Washington did so there.

Actually YOU don't know what I "and my buddies" would do. You only know what YOU would do, and are merely guessing about what other's would do.

On the other hand, I know exactly what I would do.

Nor does the fact that many of my fellow Americans would flee alter that in any way whatsoever.

The question I had originally responded to was "What would you do if faced with..."

The funny thing about people like yourself who constantly harp about others having no chance of facing and defeating a "full-blown government assault" is that you ignore all the examples in history where dedicated citizens have done just that over and over again.

Why did it take the Syrian Army three years to win in Homs with all that "overwhelming force" they had at their disposal? Even then they had to agree to a cease-fire and let the rebels leave the city. Rebels who are still fighting today.

If you say Syria can't compare to the might of the U.S. military, then how about this. How come WE are STILL fighting in Afghanistan 14 years after we started that little "police action?" How come Russia had to pull out completely, defeated after years of war?

So you go ahead and run. That is your choice. But if you make that choice I don't have to agree to accept your running to where I am so that you can hide behind me and reap the benefits preserved by people like me who are willing to fight to keep them :shrug:

There's no winning there. Those people have been hiding beside a road waiting for their enemy for generations. Hell, some of 'em will be disappointed when you pull out.

You confuse Syria with having an open and free democracy - one and of crooks replaces the other.

When the choice is this:

#1) stay - fight, and most likely die and most likely end up with your entire family dead

or

#2) flee - and perhaps give your family a fighting chance at survival in another, more peaceful country

I don't see how #2 can be considered a cowardly option. Especially when you have a family to consider and their health and safety in mind.

Add to that, if you lived in a country that had been at war for hundreds of years, and had a friggin dictator in charge....why not try to find a safer place to live?

Back
Top Bottom