• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

WASHINGTON (AP) — Chances are, your local or state police departments have photographs of your car in their files, noting where you were driving on a particular day, even if you never did anything wrong.

Using automated scanners, law enforcement agencies across the country have amassed millions of digital records on the location and movement of every vehicle with a license plate, according to a study published Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union. Affixed to police cars, bridges or buildings, the scanners capture images of passing or parked vehicles and note their location, uploading that information into police databases. Departments keep the records for weeks or years, sometimes indefinitely.

As the technology becomes cheaper and more ubiquitous, and federal grants focus on aiding local terrorist detection, even small police agencies are able to deploy more sophisticated surveillance systems. While the Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that a judge's approval is needed to track a car with GPS, networks of plate scanners allow police effectively to track a driver's location, sometimes several times every day, with few legal restrictions. The ACLU says the scanners assemble what it calls a "single, high-resolution image of our lives."

Eisenberg, the assistant U.S. attorney, said the numbers "fail to show the real qualitative assistance to public safety and law enforcement." He points to the 132 wanted suspects the program helped track. They were a small fraction of the 29 million plates read, but he said tracking those suspects can be critical to keeping an area safe.

Does anyone else see the bull**** here? 132 suspects tracked; does that mean apprehended? No it doesn't, and they had to read 29 million plates to get there. This is lameness at its finest, and a major invasion of privacy. No doubt they have judges that'll agree to anything.

Well they have that here if you go on a toll road.

It has nothing to do with safety, but they know that's a hard argument to counter. They're not looking at the info pro-actively, only after-the-fact in order to piece together an already existing case.

Increasingly, cars not only have required "black boxes" by which the government and explore your driving habits at any given time, but now have built in GPS - such as "OnStar." One simple regulation could require them in all cars, and the cost per car under $100.

Then, at all times, the government not only will have permanent record of your movement and could track you at any time, but could just mail you a misdemeanor ticket any time you don't come to a full stop at a stop sign or go over the speed limit. Or, just turn your car off remotely and make you wait for the police to come search your car and given you a ticket.

They already track all cell phones - and keep record of it permanently. Cars are the obvious next step. Finally, your ID with GPS and a micro-chip under your skin.

Afterall, whatever it takes for the government to make certain you aren't a terrorist or doing anything dangerous or illegal for your own sake.

Only a criminal would oppose the government tracking their phone, car, ID and person at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government listening to you at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government watching you at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government reading and recording everything you do on any computer.
Only a criminal would oppose the government knowing everything you read.
Only a criminal would oppose the government knowing everyone you talk to, when, where, why and what was said.

And we know that most Americans agree with that - because most of that already exists.

Well they have that here if you go on a toll road.

Don't know about Canada, but in the USA there are far, far more cameras than that on roads and at intersections.

I have nothing to hide from law enforcement or any other government agency, so..... eh. Not saying it's right.. just saying I am not bothered by it.

:twocents:

Does anyone else see the bull**** here? 132 suspects tracked; does that mean apprehended? No it doesn't, and they had to read 29 million plates to get there. This is lameness at its finest, and a major invasion of privacy. No doubt they have judges that'll agree to anything.

This is one of the programs that should be cut before tax increases are even considered.If the government has money to spy on and track we the people their employers then the government has too much damn money.

Only a criminal would oppose the government tracking their phone, car, ID and person at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government listening to you at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government watching you at all times.
Only a criminal would oppose the government reading and recording everything you do on any computer.
Only a criminal would oppose the government knowing everything you read.
Only a criminal would oppose the government knowing everyone you talk to, when, where, why and what was said.

And we know that most Americans agree with that - because most of that already exists.
I do not think most Americans agree with those things. I think most Americans have too much of their attention on stupid trials,sports, Honey Boo Boo,American idol and other stupid **** to even bother paying attention to what the government is doing.

I do not think most Americans agree with those things. I think most Americans have too much of their attention on stupid trials,sports, Honey Boo Boo,American idol and other stupid **** to even bother paying attention to what the government is doing.
I think so many people have their attention on that other stuff because they believe the government is doing right for them. They think they don't have to worry about it.

I think so many people have their attention on that other stuff because they believe the government is doing right for them. They think they don't have to worry about it.
I think politics just bores the **** out of them. I do not think they believe the government is doing right for them.

If not 'right', then not bad enough to do anything about it. "Right' enough.
Or they are just ignorant about whats going on.

I have nothing to hide from law enforcement or any other government agency, so..... eh. Not saying it's right.. just saying I am not bothered by it.

:twocents:

Lamest argument supporting privacy invasion in the galaxy.

I think politics just bores the **** out of them. I do not think they believe the government is doing right for them.

Every time I've asked someone why they don't follow politics/news they say it is "too depressing."

Just aggregating more data, nothing to see here. Privacy? Nope. Ability to protect self, papers, and affects from unreasonable SEARCH and seizure? Nope.

Just move along, nothing to see here. Don't worry what the government is doing with it, why they are doing it. Do not question less you want terrorists to win!

Back
Top Bottom