• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drivers paid for DNA, blood samples at Ala. roadblocks

So I'm guessing they can't come up with enough reasons to arrest people, eh?

Sad, even after the supreme court basically gave them ownership of everyones DNA they still need to pull crap like this.

Yeah the DNA has no bearing on how much alcohol people might have in their system as was the stated purpose. The gubberment already has my DNA and fingerprints, but for $10 my answer would still be "Hell no!" Now if they were to offer $10K, maybe I would let them have it.

There is no excuse for using police authority to do that. The police are FORCING you to stop in order to ask if you want to participate in the study. They should have no right to impede my movement without reasonable suspicion.

That is my opinion as a fan of liberty. As a fan of science, what the hell kind of f-ed up study is this? People who actually have alcohol in their system are going to be the ones least likely to cooperate with the study, what with there being cops there and all. So it will skew far in the favor of those with little to no alcohol in their system.

genetic profiles should require a warrant or a conviction. there's simply too much data there; it's not analogous to a fingerprint.

OK, off duty cops acting in a civilian capacity are permitted to create roadblocks under what authority that is not also given to other citizens of Alabama? If I lived in Alabama I'd be all over this like white on rice. But Alabama is no longer about freedom, but rather compliance and big authoritarian government.

Yeah the DNA has no bearing on how much alcohol people might have in their system as was the stated purpose. The gubberment already has my DNA and fingerprints, but for $10 my answer would still be "Hell no!" Now if they were to offer $10K, maybe I would let them have it.
Yeah, the alcohol things doesn't make sense, at least for the DNA. Maybe for the blood, but... who the hell let's random people stick needles in them at a roadside stop?

Makes me wonder what would have happened if a person DIDN'T stop and just kept on driving.

That is just messed up.They unconstitutionally stop you and then coerce you into paying for a test. Its a shame there won't be no backlash against the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation for engaging in this sort of nonsense with the police.

That is just messed up.They unconstitutionally stop you and then coerce you into paying for a test. Its a shame there won't be no backlash against the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation for engaging in this sort of nonsense with the police.

They pay you for the test.

Still wrong, though.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if a person DIDN'T stop and just kept on driving.

Probably charged for endangering people with a vehicle, or something.

I wonder what they'd do if you did a u-turn to avoid the stop. Would they go into "cop mode" and chase you down for suspicion of DUI?

Right, they have NO legal authority. There is no difference for Girl Scouts setting up a road block to sell cookies. Legal? Not bloody likely. We can hope the ACLU will represent citizens and have charges filed against participating off duty law enforcement officers.

Back
Top Bottom