• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Driverless car speeds away from cops at traffic stop

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Ah the wonders of science...

Wtf I support driverless cars now?

Just glad I wasn't asleep in the back seat.(y)

Likely would have ended up with a gun in my face and a boot on my neck.

Ah the wonders of science...

I can't really believe driverless cars are a good idea in the real world.

What is the single biggest factor in auto accidents? Operator error. Driverless vehicles will save lives...can't wait to see them in general use.

I can predict a new "sport" for bored teenagers to go out at night and vandalize driverless cars just for fun.

This is a really stupid technology. One which I believe will become economically unfeasable after the millions of dollars in civil litigations start piling up. To have a vehicle with no driver when something goes wrong, could only be seen as gross negligence in front of a civil jury.

Presumably the registered owner of the car, but no citation was issued.

Then after the required number of points, do we suspend them?

What if they've got several thousand cars? Do we suspend the owner, or the car?

--

Lots of things to ponder . . .

Bwhahahahahahahahaha.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CHAOS!

1649695327103.png

What is the single biggest factor in auto accidents? Operator error. Driverless vehicles will save lives...can't wait to see them in general use.
Yeah this worked well, huh? I spend a week in Disney World recently and all the rides are automated. No less than 5 times the rides shut down due to, "our ghostly friends", or some other cute reason. But, they still shut down for about a minute at a time. Disney is among the best in the world at what they do and they still have cliches. I don't want a driverless care, a pilotless plane or anything else without a backup operator.

There is no AI program which can even being to approximate the MILLIONS of decisions a human brain can make. Yes, people can make errors, but a machine is not capable of predicting the often subtle warning signs ahead, and then taking defensive measures.

"I can't believe digital computers are a good idea in the real world"

"I can't believe airplanes are a good idea in the real world"

"I can't believe cars that are propelled by a continuous, controlled explosion are a good idea in the real world"

"I can't believe contact lenses are a good idea in the real world"

"I can't believe AC power to each home is a good idea in the real world"

Of course you can't believe autonomous mobility is a good idea. Were people with attitudes like yours the guiding light for civilization, we'd still be in the hunger-gatherer phase. Fortunately, your attitude is just the regressive perspective that fades to dust after a generation.

For those with greater imagination but still some doubt, keep in mind we are only about 5 years into serious autonomous mobility development. In those five years we've gone from virtually nothing to hundreds of millions of road miles of global autonomous driving. Yes there will be teething issues but imagine where we will be in 10, 15 years. This is one of the things that will unlock massive economic output in this century, and I hope the United States is a pioneer that benefits from this work.

Yeah this worked well, huh? I spend a week in Disney World recently and all the rides are automated. No less than 5 times the rides shut down due to, "our ghostly friends", or some other cute reason. But, they still shut down for about a minute at a time. Disney is among the best in the world at what they do and they still have cliches. I don't want a driverless care, a pilotless plane or anything else without a backup operator.
Yep, anything go wrong even with the most advanced engineered machines we have. Without Captain Sully in the plane, a fully automated AI program would have attempted to return to the airport rather than ditch in the river. The plane would not have made it back, and 150 people would have died, all because the one thing left which could have saved them (which did save them) was an experienced human making the types of quick decisions no machine can make.

Yep, anything go wrong even with the most advanced engineered machines we have. Without Captain Sully in the plane, a fully automated AI program would have attempted to return to the airport rather than ditch in the river. The plane would not have made it back, and 150 people would have died, all because the one thing left which could have saved them (which did save them) was an experienced human making the types of quick decisions no machine can make.
An enormously complex machine took your finger movements and turned them into readable digital text (the above post) that people all around the world can read. It did not require an experienced human, and no quick decision on your part, other than to type some sentences, factored into what just occurred.

It's sad how people don't realize how automated the world actually is e.g. someone like the above poster can type something like the above without even realizing how many hundreds of fully automated machines and programs participated in the capture and dissemination of his thoughts, in a few hundred milliseconds!

This is a really stupid technology. One which I believe will become economically unfeasable after the millions of dollars in civil litigations start piling up. To have a vehicle with no driver when something goes wrong, could only be seen as gross negligence in front of a civil jury.
Yeah this worked well, huh? I spend a week in Disney World recently and all the rides are automated. No less than 5 times the rides shut down due to, "our ghostly friends", or some other cute reason. But, they still shut down for about a minute at a time. Disney is among the best in the world at what they do and they still have glitches. I don't want a driverless care, a pilotless plane or anything else without a backup operator.
Don't worry about it. Lots of the transport systems you use are automated. Elevators, escalators, draw bridges, traffic lights, rail systems, and much of the operations of planes too (... contrary to how vocal airplane pilots are about how necessary their jobs are). What's more is that design engineers know how distrustful people like you both are of this level of automation — and therefore often play tricks on you to dupe you into thinking that these system are not automated and that you have actual "control."

For example, people were terrified when elevator operators were kicked out of elevators. The whole idea of the door opening and closing themselves? Or it knowing how to stop level to the floor instead of halfway between floors? What if the thing fell and there was no living, breathing person there to stop it?! Just horrifying thoughts to dwell on.

So as a result, the early engineers stuck fake, light-up or noise-making "emergency stop" or "open/close" door buttons on the inside of the elevator. The buttons were not connect to anything. The engineers knew that if people had a light-up button to push, the fear centers in their brains would be quelled and they'd shut up about all the potential problems. The fact that these buttons work now in some buildings is something that were developed only years to decades later. Most of those buttons are still fake.

Reactions: AJG
Then after the required number of points, do we suspend them?

What if they've got several thousand cars? Do we suspend the owner, or the car?

--

Lots of things to ponder . . .
The tech outpacing the laws and law enforcement training. It's the latter I worry about.

What happens when one of these things goes haywire and plows into a crowd of people?

The tech outpacing the laws and law enforcement training. It's the latter I worry about.

Well said, and I very much agree!

IMO you wrote a short succinct line, that describes the situation perfectly.

What happens when one of these things goes haywire and plows into a crowd of people?

Bingo!

But to be honest, law always lags society (as it should). The least laws possible, within reason of course, is the goal.

That was a security action by the AI. The officer tried to get in the vehicle so it took off and started flashing lights.

Well said, and I very much agree!

IMO you wrote a short succinct line, that describes the situation perfectly.

Bingo!

But to be honest, law always lags society (as it should). The least laws possible, within reason of course, is the goal.
Yea, I mean it's going to come down to insurance and civil liabilities. These cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to do dumb shit less often than people do to be insurable.

A quick Google will come up of many cases of human driver plowing into crowds of people, these cars just have to do it less often.

Tho, it's a long legal road from where we are to where the manufactures and sellers of the autonomous vehicles will want to be. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of civil cases and maybe a few criminal cases to sort through before we will find a reasonable balance in the laws.

Back
Top Bottom