• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Driver accused of crashing into marijuana dispensary while high on marijuana

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An 18-year-old man was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of driving while high on marijuana after he crashed into a marijuana dispensary in Happy Valley.

Alan Alcantara hit an empty parked car near Stumptown Cannabis on Southeast 82nd Avenue around 1:05 a.m. and then crashed into the back wall of the business, according to a probable cause affidavit. He caused more than $1,000 in damages to the other car and the building, court papers said.
Driver accused of crashing into marijuana dispensary while high on marijuana | OregonLive.com

An 18-year-old man was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of driving while high on marijuana after he crashed into a marijuana dispensary in Happy Valley.

Alan Alcantara hit an empty parked car near Stumptown Cannabis on Southeast 82nd Avenue around 1:05 a.m. and then crashed into the back wall of the business, according to a probable cause affidavit. He caused more than $1,000 in damages to the other car and the building, court papers said.
Driver accused of crashing into marijuana dispensary while high on marijuana | OregonLive.com
...and I'm pretty sure that somewhere, at some time, a drunk driver crashed into a bar. At least once.

Why is this so strange to be noteworthy? :shrug:

...and I'm pretty sure that somewhere, at some time, a drunk driver crashed into a bar. At least once.

It merely underlines the stupidity of intoxication and how marijuana is just as bad an impairment as booze. Making this crap legal, is as stupid as it gets!

They're running out of reasons to keep it illegal, so they resort to turning nothing into something.

It merely underlines the stupidity of intoxication and how marijuana is just as bad an impairment as booze. Making this crap legal, is as stupid as it gets!

I'll overlook the fact that many studies have shown that THC impairment isn't really comparable to alcohol impairment.

But you seem to be pushing for the return of prohibition?

I'll overlook the fact that many studies have shown that THC impairment isn't really comparable to alcohol impairment.

But you seem to be pushing for the return of prohibition?

True, but impairment is impairment. If someone ask me what's better, someone driving high, or drunk, with my child in the car. I'd punch that person in the gut and say 'neither'.

True, but impairment is impairment. If someone ask me what's better, someone driving high, or drunk, with my child in the car. I'd punch that person in the gut and say 'neither'.

"Neither" would be the right answer, and I'm certainly not trying to say driving high is ok. But to argue that THC impairment is so bad that legalizing it is stupid is a terribly flawed argument unless one is also pushing for the return of prohibition.

Should we make booze illegal as well?

Only if having alcohol legal is also as stupid as it gets.

... He caused more than $1,000 in damages to the other car and the building ...
what a vandal, creating so much havoc and damage

So, in response to simply being asked a question, you'd resort to battery.

Explains a lot.

So, in response to simply being asked a question, you'd resort to battery.

Explains a lot.

Haha literal people are so adorable. Almost like liberals. One in the same.

"Neither" would be the right answer, and I'm certainly not trying to say driving high is ok. But to argue that THC impairment is so bad that legalizing it is stupid is a terribly flawed argument unless one is also pushing for the return of prohibition.

No argument there. Just sayin'. The driving while impaired argument to me is the dumbest one for pro-legalization. Just because it makes someone 'not as impaired' as alcohol, doesn't mean anything to me.

Yep, that's right, just keep denying that legalizing marijuana is a step backwards for our society....

Haha literal people are so adorable. Almost like liberals. One in the same.

Ah, so you're unable to express yourself to the degree you'd like, so you have to pretend you said something other than you did. And it's "One AND the same", not "One in the same".

Thanks for proving my point.

Yep, that's right, just keep denying that legalizing marijuana is a step backwards for our society....

For most of this country's history, marijuana was totally legal, so it's a step back in the right direction.

Knowing history is a good thing. I highly recommend it.

Am I to presume that your attitudes fall thusly?

Alcohol impairment: :yawn:

Marijuana impairment: :2mad:

Nope. I think that both are bad for society. Adding one more bad thing to our society is not a good thing. Everyone who support legalizing pot seems to throw out the same tired argument, but I've never stated anything like that. I've stood by the idea that we should working to make our society better, not worse, and adding one more legal method for stupid people to make our society worse is a bad idea.

For most of this country's history, marijuana was totally legal, so it's a step back in the right direction.

Knowing history is a good thing. I highly recommend it.

Show me the benefit to our society that pot brings that out-weighs the death of even one child.

Wait. Are you trying to say getting drunk on alcohol is not as bad as getting high on marijuana? Don't make me laugh.

Show me the benefit to our society that pot brings that out-weighs the death of even one child.

It's called 'Freedom'. It's not something I'd wager you're likely to understand.

And since you've run from it two times now, I'll ask you a third and last time: are you for reintroducing Prohibition? If not, why not?

Step up the mic for once.

Nope. I think that both are bad for society. Adding one more bad thing to our society is not a good thing. Everyone who support legalizing pot seems to throw out the same tired argument, but I've never stated anything like that. I've stood by the idea that we should working to make our society better, not worse, and adding one more legal method for stupid people to make our society worse is a bad idea.
Fair enough. I respect consistency. I don't agree with your position in that I don't see all bad, and I see your point-of-view as being that we should bring back prohibition of alcohol, but I can respect it for being consistent.

"Same tired argument" is a two-way street, btw.

Back
Top Bottom