• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is a FANTASTIC day! Im not sure most people know how evil this man is. He has killed TWICE. Gotten away with one because of no body and no evidence. Finally he is in jail and I hope and pray the familes that have suffered soooooo long can now have some closure.

He took issue with a law passed by the Illinois General Assembly in in July 2009 that allowed hearsay to be admitted as evidence in cases where prosecutors believe the victim was killed specifically to prevent them from testifying. The law was dubbed the "Drew Peterson Law."
"Hearsay is a scary thing," Peterson told the court. "It requires no proof of truth. Anything can be said and no one is accountable."
He said the statements made against him were from "women trying to better position themselves in a divorce. ... Everybody lies in a divorce."

Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death - U.S. News

This is a FANTASTIC day! Im not sure most people know how evil this man is. He has killed TWICE. Gotten away with one because of no body and no evidence. Finally he is in jail and I hope and pray the familes that have suffered soooooo long can now have some closure.

Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death - U.S. News

I was so pleased to hear this. And to hear that his smart-ass facade finally disintegrated. He killed two wives. He'll spend the rest of his life in prison. That's good news,.

Hearsay is an extremely dangerous and scary thing and should NEVER be allowed as evidence in testimony.

Really isn't anything new. Hearsay has been admissible forever in the form of dying declarations.

Really isn't anything new. Hearsay has been admissible forever in the form of dying declarations.

Don't like it. State must PROVE its case, not use supposition and merely make claims that cannot be demonstrated.

Don't like it. State must PROVE its case, not use supposition and merely make claims that cannot be demonstrated.

Somehow 'hearsay' and 'beyond a reasonable doubt' just don't seem to work well together.....

Hearsay is an extremely dangerous and scary thing and should NEVER be allowed as evidence in testimony.

I must agree. Alas this vile hearted fake with a HUGE ego must be looked at upon a microscope. It is CLEAR that he killed TWO WOMEN. How do we convict him? Based on ONE case we CAN determine that through conective ananysis he HAS a huge probability of murder. I of course was not on the panel BUT the evidence provided he WAS convicted. Its not like there was zero evidence on his last wife. The jury heard it all. Not me. If it WAS just me I would wish his ass get tossed into a small pit with roaches for the rest of his life. Alas that was not my call. Nor was his sentence. It was VIA jury and then judge he was found guilty WITH.... enough to put him away.

Ikari I ask you WHAT data (not information) have you heard that he is guilty OR innocent?

I don't like the guy and we can assume he is guilty. But IMO they never proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. Hearsay Evidence.....of what some one told a Priest and tried years after the death as well as with the recollection of those that testified years after the death. Was a slap in the face of Justice.

But then what is Justice.....other than Just us!

This is a FANTASTIC day!
:naughty
This is a horrible day.

Im not sure most people know how evil this man is. He has killed TWICE. Gotten away with one because of no body and no evidence.
All of this, huh? With no direct evidence even.
Yet you call it a fantastic day.
It is a travesty. An injustice.

Finally he is in jail and I hope and pray the familes that have suffered soooooo long can now have some closure.
Closure comes from within.

I was so pleased to hear this.
Wow!
So sad.

Really isn't anything new.
It is under this set of conditions.
It is wrong.

The system of justice we have in this country far too often lets scum like this walk free. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" seems to get misinterpreted at times and applied as "beyond ANY doubt".

I'm glad that reason prevailed in this case.

The system of justice we have in this country far too often lets scum like this walk free. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" seems to get misinterpreted at times and applied as "beyond ANY doubt".

I'm glad that reason prevailed in this case.
:shock::shock::shock:
Reason did not prevail.

:shock::shock::shock:
Reason did not prevail.
"Reason" in the context of "beyond a reasonable doubt" most certainly did prevail. That asshole is guilty as sin.

How so.....they convicted him of killing his second wife. Years later. Off of nothing but testimony of he said she said. What evidence did they have. Despite people thinking he is guilty.

Trust me I don't like crooked cops just as much as any other.....but now this case has opened the way for future trials wherein people can be tried with just he said she said BS. Which now will go forward even if there are witnesses to validate ones presence at some location.

My gut feeling is that he's guilty but my gut feeling would be a pretty insubstantial hook on which to hang 38 years of prison. I fear that this guy was convicted because he was a good story for cable news and his personality rubbed reporters the wrong way.:cool:

:naughty
This is a horrible day.

All of this, huh? With no direct evidence even.
Yet you call it a fantastic day.
It is a travesty. An injustice.

Closure comes from within.

Wow!
So sad.

It is under this set of conditions.
It is wrong.

Youre NOT here to bust my balls thankfully.

HOW closely have you covered this trial?
Not sure you know what has happened or how this went down.
Do you know anyone on the jury?
Why do YOU feel this is not correct?

My gut feeling is that he's guilty but my gut feeling would be a pretty insubstantial hook on which to hang 38 years of prison. I fear that this guy was convicted because he was a good story for cable news and his personality rubbed reporters the wrong way.:cool:

Don't forget the dead wife who drowned in a dry bathtub, and the next wife, who simply disappeared off the face of the earth.

Don't forget the dead wife who drowned in a dry bathtub, and the next wife, who simply disappeared off the face of the earth.

Not forgotten at all. As I wrote, I think he probably did it. I just don't think it was proven.:cool:

Knowing that he is guilty and proving that he was guilty are 2 different concepts.

Wonder what happened to his kids.....also his oldest son didn't think he killed his mother. Plus his daughter shows absolutely no fear of him. 38yrs.....Illinois is day for day plus one. So he can get out in 17. How old did they say he is.

Also I heard he was being sent down to Sheldon or Shelton Illinois.....never heard of that one. Is that even a Max Penn?

Wonder what happened to his kids.....also his oldest son didn't think he killed his mother. Plus his daughter shows absolutely no fear of him. 38yrs.....Illinois is day for day plus one. So he can get out in 17. How old did they say he is.

Also I heard he was being sent down to Sheldon or Shelton Illinois.....never heard of that one. Is that even a Max Penn?

The son you're referring to is either Thomas, 19, who would have been just a kid when Peterson killed his third wife -- or his son Stephen, older, who was fired by the Oak Brook, IL police department after his testimony before a grand jury that he hid guns for his dad wo they wouldn't be confiscated. I think you're talking about Thomas. He loves his dad. That, combined withthe fact that he was just a boy when it all came down, makes his believing him innocent just logical. But hardly definitive.

The son you're referring to is either Thomas, 19, who would have been just a kid when Peterson killed his third wife -- or his son Stephen, older, who was fired by the Oak Brook, IL police department after his testimony before a grand jury that he hid guns for his dad wo they wouldn't be confiscated. I think you're talking about Thomas. He loves his dad. That, combined withthe fact that he was just a boy when it all came down, makes his believing him innocent just logical. But hardly definitive.

Yeah thats who I was talking about. He wasn't the one that was a cop. Still his daughter shows no fear of him. Plus that corners testimony was questionable.

You know me Maggie I am from here so its not like I would like to see that POS get off for anything. I just wish they would have caught him dead to rights. Thought something would have come of it when whoever testified that he helped Peterson with dumping some barrel. Which would have been for the case of his third. The Salvio issue is a debachle.

Back
Top Bottom