• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Seuss Enterprises Will Shelve 6 Books, Citing 'Hurtful' Portrayals

Except racial stereotypes aren't ideas. This is nothing like '1984' or 'Fahrenheit 451'.
Orwell stereotyped totalitarian government rule as a way to protest against it. I would argue that protesting a thing is a form of thought and idea.

I agree this sort of thing can and often is taken to an absurd extreme but things like that portrayal of the oriental guy with the chopsticks and goofy hat just send the wrong message. Next thing you know you'll have a President calling an epidemic the 'Kung Flu' and jackasses assaulting Chinese people because of it.
The principle is that an extreme on one end needs to be countered by an extreme on the other if a reasonable centre is to be found. Get rid of one extreme and you can get rid of the other.

Nothing sums up the American society movements today as much as "absurdity". The question is will it continue unabated or will as you state, a reasonable center push back and say "no". At this point I'm doubtful of pushback because of fear; fear of being cancelled, losing a career, a house, a future. Not everyone is courageous enough to put their name to a thing - anonymity and whispers are all I'd expect in criticizing both political fringes.

Here we go.... cue all the grown ass adults about to lose their shit over Dr. Seuss.

giphy.gif
"Oh noes! The Seuss."

Really? You dont thinks thats a dangerous or at least unhealthy precedent?
"Shelving books" that someone sees as "offensive"?I dont care for it.

It was Dr. Seuss Enterprises that decided to do this on their own. This wasn't done by the government. The precedent for companies deciding their own business strategy was set long long before this.

Here we go.... cue all the grown ass adults about to lose their shit over Dr. Seuss.

giphy.gif

You talking about the ones who would be offended by Dr. Suess?
Or the others?

Both?
I just am curious.

Really? You dont thinks thats a dangerous or at least unhealthy precedent?
"Shelving books" that someone sees as "offensive"?I dont care for it.
Is it "dangerous" every single time a publishing company decides to stop printing a book? Or just when the book is racist?

It was Dr. Seuss Enterprises that decided to do this on their own. This wasn't done by the government. The precedent for companies deciding their own business strategy was set long long before this.

your dodge of the question noticed and noted.

I have moved on from Dr Seuss some time ago.
Man, folks would REALLY flip out over Little Black Sambo wouldn't they?
Are you familiar with that one? Several of them actually, a series.

"Racist" is one thing, "offensive to some" completely another. But oh well, this is the path society is currently on.
Sort of glad really that in 30 years or so (at the most for me) it will all be the next guys problem.
Dinosaurs die off. Not good or bad, just natural. 👍

Is it "dangerous" every single time a publishing company decides to stop printing a book? Or just when the book is racist?

Theres that word again. "racist"

Give it a rest bud, its grown tired. IMO.

Can you really burn books that you've never heard of and cant find?

I've heard of them. Had a lot of Dr Suess when I was a kid.
If you cant find them....how are they "offensive"?
I dunno.

The crows in the Disney movie Dumbo were thieving rascals with southern black accents. Their leader was named Jim Crow...

View attachment 67320969

Our pop culture is littered with this stuff and there isn’t a single thing wrong with warnings and such.

Peak insanity will be when we start to burn books because they contain a stereotypical "Italian chef" who offends the Italian snowflakes, or a stereotypical "snooty Frenchman" who offends the French snowflakes, or a stereotypical "Egyptian merchant" who offends the Egyptian snowflakes, or a stereotypical "dumb blonde" who offends the blonde snowflakes, ...

I mean, perish the thought of a young child seeing a Japanese character with slanted eyes, eating a bowl of rice, and wearing a kimono. The poor soul might conclude that Japanese people have slanted eyes, eat rice with chopsticks, wear kimonos, and other strange and wonderful things--and we all know this certainly isn't true. 😱

I tend to agree with your assessment. My view has always been that humankind is very imperfect as are our views of the world and characterizations of others. In a historical context however, I believe we can look upon those mistakes and learn from them without destroying them and without holding them up as a gold standard model. Stereotypes are often borne out of ignorance, but are also not necessarily 100% false or always negative either - especially again, in a historical context.

Theres that word again. "racist"

Give it a rest bud, its grown tired. IMO.
Then substitute it for whatever word doesn't trigger you. The question is the same. When is it ok for a publishing company to decide to stop printing a book?

Different times back in the 40's

Seems like they could hire an artist to redraw certain sections.

I've never heard of those books so they're probably not the best of sellers.
Seems more like people ought not to make something out of nothing. They must not have much of a life if they are worried about Dr Seuss. Go pet a puppy.

I've heard of them. Had a lot of Dr Suess when I was a kid.
If you cant find them....how are they "offensive"?
I dunno.
I had a large collection of Seuss in the 70's, Never heard of these nor were they in any library that I've been in. And as for their offensiveness, you'd need to ask a black or Asian child or parent reading them..

Last edited:
I had a large collection of Seuss in the 70's, Never heard of these nor were they in any library that I've been in.

then I can conclude that you were never "offended" by them.
I have heard of them and I have seen them...and neither was I.
Moving along.

I tend to agree with your assessment. My view has always been that humankind is very imperfect as are our views of the world and characterizations of others. In a historical context however, I believe we can look upon those mistakes and learn from them without destroying them and without holding them up as a gold standard model. Stereotypes are often borne out of ignorance, but are also not necessarily 100% false or always negative either - especially again, in a historical context.
The left has lost their minds. Grow up and stop trying to make a big deal out of small things that are not and never were intended to offend. It's all in you mind. Want to know why we can't seem to get along, because morons like these make an issue out of a childrens' book.

People on the left need to get a life. You hate everything. Don't you realize everything, and I mean everything out there is disliked by someone. Crap, the haters crucified Christ. Now the left wants to crucify children's books. Go to your "safe space" and pet a puppy and read Dr. Seuss. You'll feel better.

Who were the haters?

The left has lost their minds. Grow up and stop trying to make a big deal out of small things that are not and never were intended to offend. It's all in you mind. Want to know why we can't seem to get along, because morons like these make an issue out of a childrens' book.
Or we can just not reprint these books.

Relax

Man, folks would REALLY flip out over Little Black Sambo wouldn't they?
Are you familiar with that one? Several of them actually, a series.

Do you feel “Little Black Sambo” should be available in school libraries?

I had a large collection of Seuss in the 70's, Never heard of these nor were they in any library that I've been in. And as for their offensiveness, you'd need to ask an black or Asian child or parent reading them..
That's the thing. A white guy doesn't get to say that Seus drawing of the Asian isn't offensive. A black guy doesn't get to say the Cleveland Indians logo isn't offensive. If the old guy across the lane says he's offended by the word 'wop', don't call him a wop. It's his call.

Who were the haters?

I like that not preferring racist literature is now equal to killing the son of God.

This is what happens when you start a cult around a failed real estate huckster.

If I don't intend to offend, can I stereotype you however I want to?

giphy.gif
We should care about book burning. Even when it's Dr. Seuss.

I can think of a hundred far less important subjects routinely debated on DP.

Back
Top Bottom