• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura: Was she right or wrong?

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Interesting take on the situation.

Beats me. All I know is she said the N-word several times during her radio show last week, and has since apologized. But should she have done so?

Beats me. All I know is she said the N-word several times during her radio show last week, and has since apologized. But should she have done so?

From what I've read in another article, she gave the caller (a black woman married to a white man, who was asking for advice on how to handle racial/racist remarks from his white family and friends) some fairly bad advice (basically, "Suck it up, deal with it, quit being so sensitive. You never should've entered into a mixed-race marriage if you can't handle such remarks.")

I think Dr. Laura missed an opportunity to begin a productive dialogue about race and racism among her listeners.
This is not merely a question of etiquette. This is a question about an important social issue.

On the other hand, it is Dr. Laura; she's an entertainer, basically.
She knows her listening audience; she knows how they'll respond to things, what they can and can't handle.
She probably just decided to play it safe and give them what they wanted.

Interesting take on the situation. Beats me. All I know is she said the N-word several times during her radio show last week, and has since apologized. But should she have done so?

The FCC has a list of words that can't be said on-air. Stations also have their own policies. Unless she violated one or the other, she shouldn't be disciplined. If she IS disciplined, I would hope it would be in the form of a fine rather than dismissal -- unless her contract calls for specific discipline. She didn't use the word as a racial slur, but as a talking point for the subject she was discussing.

The FCC has a list of words that can't be said on-air. Stations also have their own policies. Unless she violated one or the other, she shouldn't be disciplined. If she IS disciplined, I would hope it would be in the form of a fine rather than dismissal -- unless her contract calls for specific discipline. She didn't use the word as a racial slur, but as a talking point for the subject she was discussing.
When I first heard about this I thought she maybe should be fired. The more I heard the more I thought, that's Dr. Laura being Dr. laura and not racist at all. Anyone who calls into her show who sounds whiny over something of their own doing can expect to get a butt chewing or worse. At least that's my impression of her and probably why people listen.

I need to know - of all who answer, who actually listened to the audio? Because I had the same reaction, yeah no big. Then I listened to the audio.

I need to know - of all who answer, who actually listened to the audio? Because I had the same reaction, yeah no big. Then I listened to the audio.

I can't watch video or hear audio on my PC. I did however hear some on radio or TV can't remember and I just thought what I heard was Dr Laura being Dr Laura. Is there a transcript around somewhere?

Her advice really was shaky, but I don't think she deserves the crap she's getting. Racism is not words; it's intention and implication. She was not saying "nigger" in a derogatory way. Also, she is a conservative commentator so she is required to pander to her audience.

The real problem is when you enter in these blowhard jackasses like Sharpton. It reminds me of Don Imus a couple years ago about his comments of the Rutgers basketball team. I've heard multiple black comedians openly say that when they heard what Imus said, they laughed. They said it was funny. It's only your uber-PC crowd that needs to villify everything if it's not said in a coccoon.

I listened to the audio and I don't see what the big ****ing deal everyone saying it is.

Just a thought.. I did hear her say..
"Don't N double ACP me." Maybe that is what is making this such a big deal and not the N word so much?

Just another Christian Dominionist masquerading as a professional who actually cares.

dr laura is an idiot and i love it when these self-important idiots demonstrate their idiocy.

laura wanted to convince a black woman that when white folk treat her differently than they treat black folk it is not a race issue.

arguably when blacks use the term, they are indulging in a common social ill - adopting the dominant perspective even when it is hurtful. that, though, does not lessen the hurt when a member of the dominant group uses it.

too, arguably, using the term that an oppressor uses diminishes the power of the word. that, though, does not mean that when a member of the dominant class uses it it loses its oppressor function.

laura is attempting to ply the lie that racism is over in america. she may STILL think so, but i bet she never tries to make the argument in public again.

her most meaningful statement in the transcript was her preface to the fatuity about the election; "without giving much thought..."

a transcript accompanies the audio on the site boopsy linked to.

geo.

She belittled the woman if nothing else, but from what I hear, that's how she rolls. I knew there were reasons I never paid any attention to Laura Schlessinger, and now I know the why of it.

dr laura is an idiot and i love it when these self-important idiots demonstrate their idiocy.

laura wanted to convince a black woman that when white folk treat her differently than they treat black folk it is not a race issue.

arguably when blacks use the term, they are indulging in a common social ill - adopting the dominant perspective even when it is hurtful. that, though, does not lessen the hurt when a member of the dominant group uses it.

too, arguably, using the term that an oppressor uses diminishes the power of the word. that, though, does not mean that when a member of the dominant class uses it it loses its oppressor function.

laura is attempting to ply the lie that racism is over in america. she may STILL think so, but i bet she never tries to make the argument in public again.

her most meaningful statement in the transcript was her preface to the fatuity about the election; "without giving much thought..."

a transcript accompanies the audio on the site boopsy linked to.

geo.

She wasn't calling anyone the n-word, but merely pointing out that people on HBO say it all the time and some people aren't offended.

If you think she should be fired for saying the n-word, then EVERYONE who says the n-word while on the job should be fired.

Just a thought.. I did hear her say..
"Don't N double ACP me." Maybe that is what is making this such a big deal and not the N word so much?

That wasn't a racial comment, but about the NAACP/Shirley Sherrod taking things out of context event.

She wasn't calling anyone the n-word, but merely pointing out that people on HBO say it all the time and some people aren't offended.

If you think she should be fired for saying the n-word, then EVERYONE who says the n-word while on the job should be fired.

Frankly, I would be perfectly okay with that. :confused:

I believe most people who say the "n" word on the job are fired. At least they are if Human Resources hears about it.

And their followers sheeple their way right up her ass.

Regardless of this issue, she generally gives some pretty good advice and a couple of her books are spot on.

Seeing how that clip was from mediamatters I am surprised they just didn't only have the part where she said nigger and had the title in big bold capital letters that Dr. Laura said the word nigger. I see nothing wrong with saying the word if you are not using it in a derogatory manner or if you are just talking about the word. I think the retards who only a have a problem if people of a certian skin color use the word nigger while tolerating others who use the word should shut their hypocritical mouth up and grow the **** up. If you feel a word is so offensive then you should speak out against anyone using the word regardless of the context being used and regardless of the race of the person using the word. Dr. Laura is only wrong for apologizing about using the word, because every time some idiot says they are sorry for using the word nigger even though they were not using the word in a negative context they reaffirm this racist double standard of tolerating one group of people for using the word nigger while not saying **** for the other group using that word. Any time race parasites like Sharpton or Jackson who feed off the color of their skin for fame opens their fat mouth. The only response to them should be "shut the hell up,were where you when this rapper or that comedian said the n-word".

Seeing how that clip was from mediamatters I am surprised they just didn't only have the part where she said nigger and had the title in big bold capital letters that Dr. Laura said the word nigger. I see nothing wrong with saying the word if you are not using it in a derogatory manner or if you are just talking about the word. I think the retards

Yeah, I stopped reading right there.

Yeah, I stopped reading right there.

Why, does it offend you when someone says the word retard? Do you have flashbacks at school of other kids calling you retarded and saying look its Ms Dee Dee Dee??

Moderator's Warning:
Enough with the personal crap.

From what I've read in another article, she gave the caller (a black woman married to a white man, who was asking for advice on how to handle racial/racist remarks from his white family and friends) some fairly bad advice (basically, "Suck it up, deal with it, quit being so sensitive. You never should've entered into a mixed-race marriage if you can't handle such remarks.")

I think Dr. Laura missed an opportunity to begin a productive dialogue about race and racism among her listeners.
This is not merely a question of etiquette. This is a question about an important social issue.

On the other hand, it is Dr. Laura; she's an entertainer, basically.
She knows her listening audience; she knows how they'll respond to things, what they can and can't handle.
She probably just decided to play it safe and give them what they wanted.

She hardly played it safe. It's not like her listeners are the only one's who would hear it. She is probably like a lot of people and are tired of all this tip toeing around the word nigger. To have to say "N-word" everytime you discuss the word is childish. I think what she did creates a much more productive dialogue than bowing to political correctness which only causes us to actually not discuss issues in depth. She didn't call anybody nigger. She used the word in an example. It is ridiculous to give the word that much power. As far as her advice in this case, I am not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom