• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura to end radio show, blames ‘Media Matters’

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the link.....

King asked how her freedom of speech was being denied by criticism of her comments, Schlessinger explained "I don't have the right to say what I need to say. My First Amendment rights have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate, they want to eliminate. So, that's why I decided it was time to move on to other venues where I could say my piece and not have to live in fear anymore that sponsors and their families are going to be upset, radio stations are going to be upset...my peeps, as I call them, are going to be upset."

After King referenced "This group that was after you, Media Matters." Schlessinger said, "Well, that's their job in life." She then told King that a list of advertisers contacted by Media Matters who distanced themselves from her due to her comments "proves my point."

So you use the word "nigger" 11 times within minutes on your show, and that is somebody else's fault? Please explain this again. I am having a hard time understanding this concept.

Article is here.

And guess who is defending her? Sarah Palin, who may have just committed political suicide.

What don't these 2 understand about the word "nigger"?

Now I won't go so far to call this racism, because I don't think either is a racist. Dr. Laura made a huge gaffe, in an attempt to go a bit over the top, which is what she frequently does. She needs to take responsibility for her own actions instead of blaming others. As for Palin, we already know that she is not the brightest crayon in the box. She just proved that again.

You just used it twice and it didn't bother me at all. I can't see jumping all over this lady for using it in discussing its impact. No single word should hold so much power.

You just used it twice and it didn't bother me at all. I can't see jumping all over this lady for using it in discussing its impact. No single word should hold so much power.

Actually, this word SHOULD hold this much power, because it represented slavery, and believing someone to be sub-human for no other reason than the color of his skin.

Hey anyone know if she will do anymore nudie pics now that her show is shutting down? Yeah i know she's old but she's kind of hot. :devil:

Actually, this word SHOULD hold this much power, because it represented slavery, and believing someone to be sub-human for no other reason than the color of his skin.

No word should ever be taboo from discussion in an academic manner, as your OP demonstrates. If you disagree, then you're saying your own post was deeply offensive.

Hey anyone know if she will do anymore nudie pics now that her show is shutting down? Yeah i know she's old but she's kind of hot. :devil:

No word should ever be taboo from discussion in an academic manner, as your OP demonstrates. If you disagree, then you're saying your own post was deeply offensive.

I'm sorry I hardly think her show was academic. Interesting, entertaining, and opinionated yes, but academic, naah.

Like anything, context is important. If she had said it once or twice, hardly any one would have batted an eye. Said as often as she did, in such a short time, and it is easy to see how some could find it offensive. And that is the key. When you are in the media, ratings and not pissing off your sponsors and employers are the key to success. Offending people is not the way to do that(usually). She showed poor judgment. That is not any one else's fault.

I will agree that I certainly don't deserve to have a radio show. Neither does Dr. Laura. Now there is some consistency. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry I hardly think her show was academic. Interesting, entertaining, and opinionated yes, but academic, naah.

I was hardly referring only to her.

But it appears she was using the term academically, yes.

I will agree that I certainly don't deserve to have a radio show. Neither does Dr. Laura. Now there is some consistency. :mrgreen:

So . . . your OP is offensive?

Like anything, context is important. If she had said it once or twice, hardly any one would have batted an eye. Said as often as she did, in such a short time, and it is easy to see how some could find it offensive. And that is the key

That begs the question. How many times is too many? We've already established that twice is just fine, but 11 times too many. Is 6 OK, or were you thinking of a lower number?

Said as often as she did, in such a short time, and it is easy to see how some could find it offensive.
I have no sympathy for people that choose to be offended by an open and honest discussion of the word. In fact, I find it rather small minded. Ultimately, it only gives power to those who would use the word in a derogatory manner. I choose not to give such people so much power over my emotions.

I have no sympathy for people that choose to be offended by an open and honest discussion of the word. In fact, I find it rather small minded. Ultimately, it only gives power to those who would use the word in a derogatory manner. I choose not to give such people so much power over my emotions.

it was not an open and honest discussion of the word.

I was hardly referring only to her.

But it appears she was using the term academically, yes.
The word should never have been brought up in the first place. The lady caller said her husband's friend used racial slurs in front of her, so she stupidly called Dr. Laura for advice on how how handle her husband. She was offended and it was not up to Dr. Laura to make a value judgement on what was actually said. For a person who offers relationship advice, Dr. Laura job was to do just that.

The word should never have been brought up in the first place. The lady caller said her husband's friend used racial slurs in front of her, so she stupidly called Dr. Laura for advice on how how handle her husband. She was offended and it was not up to Dr. Laura to make a value judgement on what was actually said. For a person who offers relationship advice, Dr. Laura job was to do just that.

As I frequently have to ask -- what does this have to do with what I said?

In what way? How would you characterize it?

dr laura went on a tangent that was just plain offensive. the woman wanted advice on how to deal with racial slurs, she didn't want someone to pound her with a racial slur until she became immune. it was a disgusting tirade.

As I frequently have to ask -- what does this have to do with what I said?
Okay, what do you mean when you say she used the term academically?

Okay, what do you mean when you say she used the term academically?

From what I understand, she was discussing the word itself and how it's used by people. She wasn't using it to describe anyone, or applying it to anyone.

That begs the question. How many times is too many? We've already established that twice is just fine, but 11 times too many. Is 6 OK, or were you thinking of a lower number?

How would you quantify something like that? Common sense prevails. Chaining a racial epitaph is not going to go over well.

I do not disagree with this much(it reminds me of a navy story, but I will spare you, but part of that is the exact words said by a black guy I served with). However, the problem here is that perception is the issue. Whether the people offended are small minded or not, whether they are giving the word power or not, if you work in the media, and you piss off viewers, sponsors and your employer, you have no one to blame but yourself. Being in the right, or having the right, does not make it the best thing to do.

What happened is that by her using the word so often in so short a period of time, her message was totally lost in the controversy over the word itself and how she used it. That was why it was poor judgment on her part. She was trying to make a point, but ended up detracting away from the point she was trying to make.

Whether the people offended are small minded or not, whether they are giving the word power or not, if you work in the media, and you piss off viewers, sponsors and your employer, you have no one to blame but yourself. Being in the right, or having the right, does not make it the best thing to do.
Yes of course. I wish such things could be discussed on the radio, without Media Matters playing a game of "Taboo," but at least we have the internet :)

What happened is that by her using the word so often in so short a period of time, her message was totally lost in the controversy over the word itself and how she used it. That was why it was poor judgment on her part. She was trying to make a point, but ended up detracting away from the point she was trying to make.
Her message was that the caller was being oversensitive. I don't think that was lost at all. If anything, the caller's points were lost in discussion because of her oversensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom