• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

• Total voters
ludicrious. gm doesn't give a crap about what dr laura SAYS, they care about the effect her words have on her viewership. and her audience will decline, so gm would pull sponsorship. are you saying media matters shouldn't REPORT this? did they report anything that was untrue? why do you insist on making this political, when it's clearly not?

Do you really think that the base audience of Dr Laura is actually going to stop watching because of her hyperbole?

Do you really think that the base audience of Dr Laura is actually going to stop watching because of her hyperbole?

Only if they take her microphone and soapbox away. Otherwise, I think it will business as usual.

Barb, I would still appreciate the examples of people who have had their first amendment right of free speech denied.
If they had I'd hope they'd be in court over it.
This is about the left trying to silence the right. We are in danger of losing our first amendment rights if we keep going down this road. We will be like Venezuala where the only speech allowed is what the government wants you to hear. Do away with Conservative talk and that's exactly what we'll have.

The govt did not impede her speech, so no. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from possible consequence. If I tell my boss he's a big mean poo poo head who likes to give camels hand jobs, chances are there are going to repercussions. I have to accept that possibility if I choose to say something like that.

That said, I think this whole ****ing uproar about her use of the word nigger is ****ing retarded bull**** blown out of proportion six ways from sunday. I don't see - at all - what the big deal is. It's a ****ing word. It's used all the ****ing time. Quite frankly - Get The **** Over It already. If you're offended, boo ****ing hoo so don't listen to her show. But having a hissy fit because a white woman DARED to utter the word nigger is such outrageous bull****.

If they had I'd hope they'd be in court over it.
This is about the left trying to silence the right. We are in danger of losing our first amendment rights if we keep going down this road. We will be like Venezuala where the only speech allowed is what the government wants you to hear. Do away with Conservative talk and that's exactly what we'll have.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

No rights were violated. To my knowledge the government hasn't done a single thing one way or the other, so how can she have lost her first ammendment rights? Freedom of speech doesn't mean consequence free speech.

That said, from what I've heard about the context of what she said, this is a serious overreaction. She didn't use the dreaded N-word as a slur or an attack. She used it in the context of having a conversation abou that word. The idea that we shouldn't even say the word when we're talking about that very word is ridiculous. Especially since only certain groups of people can't say the N-word. Other groups can use it constantly without any reprocussions. The reaction here is a classic example of hyper political correctness run amok.

Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.

Yeah, and the right has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio that isn't Fox. Take, for example, the nipple slip from the Super Bowl. It was conservatives who tried to use the FCC to censor content on radio and television that conservatives found offensive.

So conservatives are just as guilty of this as liberals are.

W#ell, that saggy old broad's deliberate act of exposing herself was totally in appropriate for the Super Bowl half-time show with a hundred million children watching, just as the psychobabble broad's rant was inappropriate for general broadcast, for esentially the same reasons.

Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.

We don't take kindly to ignorance nigger-guy

episode1101.jpg

Seriously, spot on psycho, as usual with your posts.

Simply because ignorant people no longer actually know what the constitution actually does (which, ironically, are often the people also going "Them Damn Libruls are disrespectin the constitution~!") doesn't magically change it. If we assume simply change in common perception and vernacular = change in the constitution then you're opening the door to that being applied to the 2nd amendment and everything else.

You are free to say whatever you want that's within the boundries of the law with regards to infringing upon the rights of others. I am free to react however I wish to it as long as its within the boundries of the law as well. NO ONE has freedom of being understood, of being free from from reprucusions, or freedom from over reaction.

Innaccurate question that is a strawman.

Being behind, IE actually SUPPORTING, the mosque being built is not required to not want the government to infringe upon someones free practices.

A better question would be whether or not the poster agreed with people having the right to bad mouth and protest the mosque and its creator, or if they should be silenced for doing such. As that would correlate to what happened with Laura, as people were bothered by what she did and thus spoke out against it to her detriment.

Agreed -- people have every right to protest the Mosque, just like everyone has the right to protest stupid radio talk show hosts.

No one's 1st amendment rights have been violated in either case.

Had the government prohibited the Mosque from building simply because of their religion, or had the government pulled the radio station's license simply because of what Laura said on the air, THEN there'd be a problem.

Dr Laura is an idiot. The only "right" she lost was the right to spew her stupidity without facing backlash and ramifications. This is the same Dr. Laura idiot that claimed that she was "persecuted" by gays after she lost her TV show due to the backlash created by the hatred she spewed against gays back in the 90's.

No...Dr. Laura....America is still the land of the free....however, you are not free to spew your propoganda and not face the consequences that rise up as a result.

What a fool!....

A few years ago, I heard about a teacher who lost her job for writing the word "Niger" on the board. Now, that happens to be both the name of a river and the name of a country in north central Africa. It is also the basis for the name of another country called Nigeria. Utterly rediculous...

No. Dr. Laura's 1st Amendment rights as a talk radio personality are not being taken away. If anything, her sponsors have decided that she crossed over the line of on-air ediquette and diplomacy and yanked some of their sponsorship from her show. As such, Dr. Laura feels that she's being unduly limited in her ability to say what she wants. Well, I got news for her. She did this to herself. Nobody made her say the words that came out of her mouth. Nobody closed her ears so that she didn't listen to the issue the black female caller was attempting to address and seak her advise over. Instead, Dr. Laura went off in a completely different direction and got caught up in her own angry rant. Now, granted, since the issue was about racial insensativity, the caller was the one who used the "N-word" as an example of the racial insensativity issue she was addressing since as we all know the caller was black, her husband is white and it was her husband's white friends who were causing the caller the problem. Had Dr. Laura listened and addressed the caller's problem instead of going off in a completely different direction, maybe she wouldn't feel as though her 1st Amendment right to free speech - to say whatever she wants to say on the air - are being tread upon.

Oh, and BTW, as the good Dr. is so fond of saying, "How you 'feel' about a particular situation doen't matter." :shock: She stepped into her own mess. Seems as though she's taking out her own trash.

No rights were violated. To my knowledge the government hasn't done a single thing one way or the other, so how can she have lost her first ammendment rights? Freedom of speech doesn't mean consequence free speech.

That said, from what I've heard about the context of what she said, this is a serious overreaction. She didn't use the dreaded N-word as a slur or an attack. She used it in the context of having a conversation abou that word. The idea that we shouldn't even say the word when we're talking about that very word is ridiculous. Especially since only certain groups of people can't say the N-word. Other groups can use it constantly without any reprocussions. The reaction here is a classic example of hyper political correctness run amok.

On the surface of it, I don't disagree with you. However, as I explain in this thread (specifically in posts #53 and #71) context means everything, as well as, familiarity of the person and/or culture who uttered the word. Taken in totality, as a black man I can say that word and get away with it (in most cases), but a white man...not so much. And while not speaking as an authority on the matter, I think I articulate the reasons why very well. To put it mildly (as also mentioned in the linked thread), a man can't call a woman a "bitch" and think he can get away with it for the same reason a woman can call another woman a "bitch" and, depending on how or under what circumstance it is said, she can!

Last edited:
No. Dr. Laura's 1st Amendment rights as a talk radio personality are not being taken away. If anything, her sponsors have decided that she crossed over the line of on-air ediquette and diplomacy and yanked some of their sponsorship from her show. As such, Dr. Laura feels that she's being unduly limited in her ability to say what she wants. Well, I got news for her. She did this to herself. Nobody made her say the words that came out of her mouth. Nobody closed her ears so that she didn't listen to the issue the black female caller was attempting to address and seak her advise over. Instead, Dr. Laura went off in a completely different direction and got caught up in her own angry rant. Now, granted, since the issue was about racial insensativity, the caller was the one who used the "N-word" as an example of the racial insensativity issue she was addressing since as we all know the caller was black, her husband is white and it was her husband's white friends who were causing the caller the problem. Had Dr. Laura listened and addressed the caller's problem instead of going off in a completely different direction, maybe she wouldn't feel as though her 1st Amendment right to free speech - to say whatever she wants to say on the air - are being tread upon.

Oh, and BTW, as the good Dr. is so fond of saying, "How you 'feel' about a particular situation doen't matter." :shock: She stepped into her own mess. Seems as though she's taking out her own trash.

On the surface of it, I don't disagree with you. However, as I explain in this thread (specifically in posts #53 and #71) context means everything, as well as, familiarity of the person and/or culture who uttered the word. Taken in totality, as a black man I can say that word and get away with it (in most cases), but a white man...not so much. And while not speaking as an authority on the matter, I think I articulate the reasons why very well. To put it mildly (as also mentioned in the linked thread), a man can't call a woman a "bitch" and think he can get away with it for the same reason a woman can call another woman a "bitch" and, depending on how or under what circumstance it is said, she can!

However, a man can have a conversation about the word 'bitch' and not have people boycotting his advertisers because he dared to utter the word aloud in the presence of a woman.

And any woman who happens to hear the word 'bitch' isn't going to go on Larry King and express what an "ordeal" it was and how wonderful it is that everyone is "supporting" her through this "tough time" and how she has "crying fits" because she was forced to hear the word on the airwaves.

However, a man can have a conversation about the word 'bitch' and not have people boycotting his advertisers because he dared to utter the word aloud in the presence of a woman.

And any woman who happens to hear the word 'bitch' isn't going to go on Larry King and express what an "ordeal" it was and how wonderful it is that everyone is "supporting" her through this "tough time" and how she has "crying fits" because she was forced to hear the word on the airwaves.

Exactly. I think the whole nigger thing is blown way out of proportion. I wish we would just designate a day that everyone everywhere has to wear a t-shirt, pin, or something with the word "nigger" on it to desensitize people to it. Sort of like "nigger" St. Patrick's Day.

Can I just break in here and say "thank god" that Aaronssong is not around to post

She was fired for exercising lack of judgement on the air. Owning that would be to exercise the dogma she preaches.

Guys - I have to correct one major thing here.

She was NOT fired. She's quitting at the end of the year. She produces her own and show and the only person who can "fire" her is herself.

When sponsors started dropping, she probably realized that there's no way she could stay profitable.

That's not the same as getting fired.

This is a bit random, but am I the only person who physiologically has difficulty pronouncing the word "nigger"?
I can't say it. It sounds so ridiculous coming out of my mouth that I'd probably never say it, even if I were a racist and didn't think there was anything morally wrong with saying it.
I have the same problem saying the word "*****" (I get around that by pronouncing it, very broadly, as "poozy", which sounds funnier than ***** anyway).
I have a very slight speech impediment, which seems to become exacerbated beyond all reason when I try to say words which I find potentially racist/sexist/otherwise morally questionable.
Seriously, though... I can't imagine saying the word "nigger" even once in front of another person, let alone eleven times in three minutes, before a listening audience of thousands.
It's a stupid word. It sounds silly. Say it, right now. See?

This is a bit random, but am I the only person who physiologically has difficulty pronouncing the word "nigger"?
I can't say it. It sounds so ridiculous coming out of my mouth that I'd probably never say it, even if I were a racist and didn't think there was anything morally wrong with saying it.
I have the same problem saying the word "*****" (I get around that by pronouncing it, very broadly, as "poozy", which sounds funnier than ***** anyway).
I have a very slight speech impediment, which seems to become exacerbated beyond all reason when I try to say words which I find potentially racist/sexist/otherwise morally questionable.
Seriously, though... I can't imagine saying the word "nigger" even once in front of another person, let alone eleven times in three minutes, before a listening audience of thousands.

I had a Canadian friend once who couldn't say the word "sprout".

Can I just break in here and say "thank god" that Aaronssong is not around to post

Dude, if aaronssong was around for this, I don't think I could help myself but to find a way to say the "n" word 11 times in 3 posts just to watch his head explode. If he does show up, bring a mop and bucket.

Gotta agree, jall. I loved watching him freak out over anyone who dared type the forbidden word. I had one post with it sprinkled throughout and his response was priceless. Some idiots are at least fun.

You are not alone, and I find it refreshing that you posted this.
Earlier today, all by myself at the computer on a thread about the N word. I said it out loud to see how it felt. It made me feel dirty. Sorry God, I didn't mean anything by it.:)

Disgusting!

Anyways.. Dr. Laura is a frigid racist bitch that needs something in the inputs. Be nice if it could be a strong black man to take care of her oblivious needs. But since she has hate for lovely non-white skin? She really does not deserve anything other than a green limp dill pickle.

Like Dr. Phil, she's not real Doctor.

She only plays one on the radio.

She's an ignorant twit IMO.

Back
Top Bottom