• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

• Total voters
No. I do find it hypocritical that she gets dragged through the mud for saying the n-word explaining how people on HBO say it all the time, but if you're black and you actually call someone the n-word, it's funny. :confused:

Difference is HBO after a certain hour doesn't care what people say. Her sponsors on the other hand do care and so she was fired. This has nothing to do with her 1st amendment rights because they weren't taken away. It has to do with her not being able to taking responsibility for what she said.

Difference is HBO after a certain hour doesn't care what people say. Her sponsors on the other hand do care and so she was fired. This has nothing to do with her 1st amendment rights because they weren't taken away. It has to do with her not being able to taking responsibility for what she said.

Wait....she was fired?

Yeah, and the right has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio that isn't Fox. Take, for example, the nipple slip from the Super Bowl. It was conservatives who tried to use the FCC to censor content on radio and television that conservatives found offensive.

So conservatives are just as guilty of this as liberals are.

That is just not true.
A tit on the super bowl is not the same as the Right monitoring the Left just looking for something they can use against them. Do you have proof it was just Conservatives making a stink. I tend to believe it was a collection of people especially parents who were offended. You don't expect to see bare breasts when you're watching the super bowl with your kids. Well, maybe now you do.
Name me one time a conservative has said someone should just be shut down.
The left does it all the time.
On journolist they were discussing what it would take to shut down Fox. Hell, I think they were suggesting the government should go in and just do it or something like that. If that's not a bunch of liberals trying to silence speech, I don't know what is.
If you liberals expect to keep your first amendment rights you need to start standing up to this craziness instead of applauding it.

Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

She's a hypocritical **** who has no comprehension of how the Constitution works. Dot.

If one of her callers whined like that, she'd make fun of them and then hang up on them.

And I'm not talking about the companies that employ people. I'm simply talking about those discussing the issue. Dr. Laura is dragged through the mud for NOT calling someone the n-word, but explaining that people DO say it over and over and over again on HBO, but those who actually CALL SOMEONE the n-word are deemed as hilarious by some. I don't get it.

The problem with asking "Who's next?" is that you are setting yourself up for confirmation, regardless of its legitimacy, because there will always be some sort of free speech controversey in this country.

No, it's called being vigilant in our duty to protect the first amendment.

Just for ****s and giggles, let's see what the First Amendment actually says:I really don't understand why anyone would claim she lost her right to free speech. The government did not act in any way to prevent her from carrying on her show.

:shrug:

don't confuse them with facts. we will have brain chunks all over the forum.

The first amendment is not at issue here. In fact, I can't remember any case off the top of my head where some one had their first amendment rights trampled. Perhaps you can give some examples.

So, of course, you're completely behind the effort by muslims to build a mosque near ground zero, right? Because, of course, you wouldn't want the government to infringe on the free practice of their beliefs. Right?

Did the government say she could not say something? If not, the no, she did not lose her first amendment rights and looks particularly stupid.

You'd think that someone who has a show in which she discusses politics would know something about politics, wouldn't you?

So, of course, you're completely behind the effort by muslims to build a mosque near ground zero, right? Because, of course, you wouldn't want the government to infringe on the free practice of their beliefs. Right?

That's not necessarily true. She could have very well thought "Who's next" with the Mosque thing too and came to the conclusion that all of teh potential "next ones" would not include any groups or ideologies she agreed with and then said "Well then **** it".

Wait, the crazy little bitty sex lady with the funny accent that likes telling women to use dildos which should be cool if not for the fact she's old enough to be your grandmother and is creepy went on a michael richards like n-word rant?

-edit- Okay, nm, I see its some other Dr. Woman. Who the hell am I thinking of?

Dr. Ruth LOL
She's accceptable because she's old and funny. She also talks about sex and has no political leanings to my knowledge.
Richards rants were sickening. I couldn't stand to watch seinfeld reruns after that.

This is pretty much exactly what happened to Bill Maher.

People say something accurate, a bunch of people go ape****, sponsors freak out, person loses their job.

Dr. Furburger will find some other job in radio/tv eventually.

I'm glad you brought that up. I can't stand the man but I thought what happened to him was wrong. So did Conservatives on talk and Fox. They were not celebrating. Maybe they were thinking they might be next, but more likely they just knew it was wrong. Mahers timing was lousy but that was no reason to dump him.

I'm glad you brought that up. I can't stand the man but I thought what happened to him was wrong. So did Conservatives on talk and Fox. They were not celebrating. Maybe they were thinking they might be next, but more likely they just knew it was wrong. Mahers timing was lousy but that was no reason to dump him.

Then your quibble is with the private company who fired him, and not the first amendment. The First Amendment only deals with GOVERNMENT incursions into free speech. A private employer has every right to fire an employee who publicly embarrasses them with what they say.

What does your opinion of Maher have to do with anything?
I asked what you referring to, I was just saying he sucked.

She was actually pretty specific about it being on HBO and such.
Yet she seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding that when they do it wrong or not it is in jest or telling a joke. She was doing it just to do it.

No. I do find it hypocritical that she gets dragged through the mud for saying the n-word explaining how people on HBO say it all the time, but if you're black and you actually call someone the n-word, it's funny.

Was she supposed to be funny? It is a complex subject but in the end she was ultimately wrong not just for using the word the way she used it but in the context, and her dismissiveness of the way people are about it, used severe generalizations, and was dismissive of her caller.

CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN BOYCOTT OF DISNEY
Boycott The Home Depot For Firing Christian While Approving Homosexuality (Action Alert - Please Share)

Here's a whole website dedicated to what you discuss:
ChristianBoycott.org | Effective Christian Activism

And by the way, Dr. Laura signoff is talk of the town - She owns her own show, so the only person that can fire her is her.

Can anyone else say "publicity stunt"?

This woman is BSC. Of all people, Howard Stern is right (something I thought I'd never say in my lifetime): "You'll see. This is all bull----".

Once again Barb, it wasn't just the use of the word but well, basically how much of a cold-hearted bitch she was that got her off the air
From my perspective it's Media Matters involvement in this. She wouldn't be resigning if MM hadn't gotten to her sponsors and affiliates.At first I thought it was the NAACP, but then find out it was them. Their sole purpose in life is to monitor the right and to do their best to destroy them.

That is just not true.
A tit on the super bowl is not the same as the Right monitoring the Left just looking for something they can use against them. Do you have proof it was just Conservatives making a stink. I tend to believe it was a collection of people especially parents who were offended. You don't expect to see bare breasts when you're watching the super bowl with your kids. Well, maybe now you do.
The left does it all the time.
On journolist they were discussing what it would take to shut down Fox. Hell, I think they were suggesting the government should go in and just do it or something like that. If that's not a bunch of liberals trying to silence speech, I don't know what is.
If you liberals expect to keep your first amendment rights you need to start standing up to this craziness instead of applauding it.
I don't think you understand what the First Amendment is meant to protect. It says the goverment can't restrict what you say. But that right is not absolute, you can't slander or yell "fire" in crowded theater.

From my perspective it's Media Matters involvement in this. She wouldn't be resigning if MM hadn't gotten to her sponsors and affiliates.At first I thought it was the NAACP, but then find out it was them. Their sole purpose in life is to monitor the right and to do their best to destroy them.

Well obviously she has great listeners like you so why should the liberal hate machine matter? Look at Glen Beck, he was almost completely wiped out 2 years ago, lost almost half of his viewers, and nearly all of his sponsors for a certain period of time, and he bounced back from it pretty quick. Media Matters is constantly trying to "destroy" him so seriously why is it that this women keeps using scapegoats?

It was a conservative talk show host (now a politician) who called for the boycott on Maher: Dan Patrick (Texas politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill maher said the guys who flew the planes into the WTC were brave.

I thought she said that black people say the n-word alot.

He said they were not cowards, which is correct, I suppose. His probem in saying that was it was so close to 9/11 and wounds were still bleeding profusely. His was more of a timing problem and not what he said. He should have just been allowed to apologize for being insensitive and the whole thing dropped. He didn't deserve to lose his show.

Barb, I would still appreciate the examples of people who have had their first amendment right of free speech denied.

He said they were not cowards, which is correct, I suppose. His probem in saying that was it was so close to 9/11 and wounds were still bleeding profusely. His was more of a timing problem and not what he said. He should have just been allowed to apologize for being insensitive and the whole thing dropped. He didn't deserve to lose his show.

That is why I said it was no different than this situation.

Innaccurate question that is a strawman.

Being behind, IE actually SUPPORTING, the mosque being built is not required to not want the government to infringe upon someones free practices.

A better question would be whether or not the poster agreed with people having the right to bad mouth and protest the mosque and its creator, or if they should be silenced for doing such. As that would correlate to what happened with Laura, as people were bothered by what she did and thus spoke out against it to her detriment.

Back
Top Bottom