• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Last night (8/17) Dr. Laura said to Larry King she "wants to regain her First Amendment Rights" when she announced she was leaving her radio program when her constract expires. Tonight she partially blamed Media Matters for her decision.

Yes
No
I don't know

Here is a video showing what she said on Larry King Live:

Dont care. She is meaningless to me. She is nothing but an opinion-yapper. Her title doesnt make her right or wrong either.

Did the government say she could not say something? If not, the no, she did not lose her first amendment rights and looks particularly stupid.

Go ahead and say the N word all you want, but don't expect the radio station to actually want you on the air afterward.

I very much doubt she meant that literally.

I dunno. She did blame Eliot's philandering on his wife. WOW.

Anywho, she's wrong on using the word "lost." Agreeing to work in the job she did entails that she gives up some rights of speech on air. She freely gave those up. Lost implies that such rights were taken from her by some form or fashion without her consent. She gave up the rights under her own free will. That's not lost.

I think she may have just felt too restricted in her speech. We do seem to be getting more and more PC.

Then why didn't she say that? She specifically referenced her first amendment rights. Either she thinks the first amendment means something other than it does, or she was engaging in useless rhetoric. Either way, she comes off looking foolish.

Here is the thing about this lady. I wouldn't really care to much about what she said as long as she didn't back peddle on it. She said she apologizes but yet, she doesn't seem one bit apologetic when I've seen her on TV. So far I have only seen her on Larry King and Anderson Cooper 360 (although its some other guy filling in for Cooper right now) and both times she started putting words into King's and the other guys mouths and making total assumptions about their intent with questions. She also is trying to come off as a victim. The way this lady bitches, you would have thought she just got gang-raped by some gangsters or something. I never heard of the lady before this all happened to be honest, but she seems like a whiney bitch either way.

No.

Since she doesn't own a radio broadcast station, she is dependent on the good will of those who own that technology for permission to use it.

Saying the word "nigger" 11 times in five minutes ticked off enough sponsors that she's getting fired.

People do not have a right to a job.

Maybe the broad should have focused on telling her caller that her husband is a wuss, and it's up to him to tell his family to grow up and treat his wife with respect. If he can't do that, then the abused wife should consider leaving her limp-dicked husband.

It really was that simple.

Remember, the only person to use the word "nigger" in a public broadcast and get adulation from the Left was Klansman Robert KKK Byrd,

Last edited:
I believe the preceding poster made a great point! Robert Byrd casually spoke of the existence of "white niggers" as if the word simply implied jerk or crassness. He apologized and served many more years on the U.S. Senate. Liberals forgave him and continued to commend the man, his ideals, and his legacy over and over again.

And Byrd was an American politician, one of the most powerful men in the world and a representative of both the nation and of the democrat party. Schlessinger represents herself and her commercial sponsors. Big difference of standard.

Last edited:
Who will liberal censors target next.

That part.

The first thing I said on DP after this happened was "Who's next?"
I don't find it humorous. The left has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio and Fox. I guess it really is true that they only believe in speech that agrees with them. Do you really want to be Venezuala? If not, then you should be condemning people like media matters.

Here is the thing about this lady. I wouldn't really care to much about what she said as long as she didn't back peddle on it. She said she apologizes but yet, she doesn't seem one bit apologetic when I've seen her on TV. So far I have only seen her on Larry King and Anderson Cooper 360 (although its some other guy filling in for Cooper right now) and both times she started putting words into King's and the other guys mouths and making total assumptions about their intent with questions. She also is trying to come off as a victim. The way this lady bitches, you would have thought she just got gang-raped by some gangsters or something. I never heard of the lady before this all happened to be honest, but she seems like a whiney bitch either way.

I'm no fan. I haven't listened to her more than a few times and that was a long time ago. I found her to be a real bitch.
What bothers me, is the way this all went down. Did ya'll read the transcript or listen? She never called anyone N.
She was talking about how others used N. I really don't know why she was even upset after the call. I guess she thought she was wrong and that's why she apologized.
She is a Conservative with a bunch of values the left hates. That's why she was taken down. Again, I ask, who will media matters and their ilk go after next? We are headed down a dangerous road.
I know the liberals here hate Beck, Hannity, Rush, O'Reilly etc. but do you really want to live in a country where they can't speak out against our government?

Not a loss of first amendment rights, because it isn't the governemnt restricting her speech. It doesn't make it right. Listening to it in context (thanks Anderson Cooper -- the best journalist on CNN -- for airing her comments in context). She was making a philosophical point. Unfortunately, we are living in an era when the left believes it is ok to censor and put pressure on people who make points that oppose their sacred cows... sad indeed...

Not a loss of first amendment rights, because it isn't the governemnt restricting her speech. It doesn't make it right. Listening to it in context (thanks Anderson Cooper -- the best journalist on CNN -- for airing her comments in context). She was making a philosophical point. Unfortunately, we are living in an era when the left believes it is ok to censor and put pressure on people who make points that oppose their sacred cows... sad indeed...

Not only the left. I do remember being called a traitor for opposing the war in Iraq.

Last night (8/17) Dr. Laura said to Larry King she "wants to regain her First Amendment Rights" when she announced she was leaving her radio program when her constract expires. Tonight she partially blamed Media Matters for her decision.

No, she did not lose her First Amendment rights.

The First Amendment guarantees the right for people to say whatever they want. It does not, however, guarantee the right for people to get paid to say whatever they want.

That's the key difference. And if the advertisers that pay for Dr. Laura's show no longer wish to pay for it because they're a business who pay for her show to give out advertisements for their products to bring in more revenue don't wish to pay for it because she said something offensive (but not illegal) then that is their choice.

And if Dr. Laura could find enough advertisers who don't care about her being offensive, she could raise enough funding to continue her radio career. After all, there are many people who are even more offensive who make their beliefs known. Take, for example, the Westboro Baptist Church. That organization continues to bring in funding to support it's messages against homosexuality, and they are in a league above and beyond Dr. Laura.

But the government itself has done nothing to censor her for what she has said.

Yes
No
I don't know

Here is a video showing what she said on Larry King Live:

Here whole attitude reminds me of people who go on a private forum and than complain when the mods on the forum don't like something against the rules of the forum. Its just idiotic.

I don't find it humorous. The left has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio and Fox. I guess it really is true that they only believe in speech that agrees with them. Do you really want to be Venezuala? If not, then you should be condemning people like media matters.

Yeah, and the right has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio that isn't Fox. Take, for example, the nipple slip from the Super Bowl. It was conservatives who tried to use the FCC to censor content on radio and television that conservatives found offensive.

So conservatives are just as guilty of this as liberals are.

The problem with asking "Who's next?" is that you are setting yourself up for confirmation, regardless of its legitimacy, because there will always be some sort of free speech controversey in this country.

I was under the impression that Dr. Laura was a strong proponent of personal responsibility for one's actions.

Irony.

After hearing more of the clip she may not be a racist but she's an idiot. Of course many of us already knew that. She hasn't lost any rights she just finally went too far. This is not political at all. To say that it is OK to say such an offensive word because some other people say it is just stupid. By that logic everything is OK as long as someone else does it first. If she can't understand the difference between a black comedian saying the word(which I don't really like either) and a friend or co-worker saying it she really is too stupid to be allowed in public alone. It's much like the b-word. Female comedians say it and it can be funny. Tina Fey did a really funny bit on SNL about Hillary Clinton being called a b**** saying , "B****s get things done." This doesn't make that word acceptable in every day conversation. For example, I would tell my boss that she was a b**** who could get things done? If I did say that and got fired would the be a violation of my rights?

Back
Top Bottom